GMax GM68S Wizard Review

nksmfamjp

Reaction score
Visit site
I just bought this helmet and thought I would throw some initial thoughts down.

GRAPHIC AND EXTERIOR
The Wizard graphic is cool graphic with lots of color for matching leathers and getting away from black helmets. I like it with my Tourmaster Centurion suit or most anything else.

The shell shape is a pretty good blend between vents that grab air vs too big and blowing around too much when riding. Basically, I mean the vents grab a lot of air when open. When closed, they do catch in the wind, but it is not so much that i cannot ride comfortably with that wind grab. That may also be that the shell is more round than I'm used to. I did notice some neck strain my first day out and attribute it to this instead of weight.

The sunvisor is a great addition. It makes noise when wide open, but I find if I lower it a couple clicks so it is not in my line of sight, but not wide open, that it is great. When the sun is out, this is the best thing since sliced bread.

FIT
To me this helmets fit a little strange. It fits like a watchman cap on top with padding against both cheeks. I think it is good for crash, but if you are expecting ear bending fit, this helmet doesn't have it. It has "ear pockets". There is even a place to add speakers, if desired.

My head is considered ovalish by people who look at me, but this helmet was 1 of like 5 which really fit me well out of like 50 helmets at Iron Pony. The only noticeably better fit was a Shoei R12 or something like that. The Shoei was an ear bender and I don't need that hassle.

VENTILATION
It flows air, even with the vents closed. Actually too much air!!! At 45F and 75mph, I NEED a balaclava! It does fog, but the fog is gone as soon as you twist your wrist. It also has a shield with a good low open detent for slow speed travel.

BAD
There has to be some bad. OK, the chinstrap is too close to my adams apple. It is OK, but a little uncomfortable.

Also, the fit is tight on top and the sides, but the helmet still lifts a bit depending on head position. The strap loosens on it's own also. This makes the lifting slightly worse. I'm blowing this out of proportion. It is not bad, but noteworthy. Since I'm not used to this style bike, this maybe normal for this type of bike also.

Shell shape. I'm being way picky here, but I wish it were more oval front to rear so it cut the wind better and that would make it quieter also. This complaint isn't about the noise, but about the neck stress caused by the helmet bouncing in the wind.

OTHER
All this for only $150ish!

Last edited: