Going to Germany....

Prebstar

FZ6 Maintenance Man
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, I'm off to Germany on business in May for Drupa (print show) in Dusseldorf. Kazza's not able to come with me so it'll be a solo trip.

I'm only going to have a few days to myself, but I want to fit in as much as I can. I'm thinking of Stuttgart and Munich or Amsterdam and Berlin. Interested in WWII camps etc and possibly Mercedes factory etc.

Any advice? Any other ideas of things to see or do in these places?

Much appreciated.

ebster1085

Reaction score
Visit site
Thats awesome dude, very jealous! I've been across the pond twice now, and the first time was for a 31 day backpacking trip all over the place, and Germany was one of my stops.

I checked out Munich for a few days and had a lot of fun. The English Gardens was awesome, and is home to a very nice restaurant as well as an outdoor beer drinking area with an onsite Haufbrau pub. The actual Haufbrau House is also a must see, but if you want a stein, dont waste your money there, get it elsewhere for much less. Naturally many of my stops there were at beer houses all of which offer awesome beer and great food. Very nice clean city with tons of nice German cars driving around. If you are going to be up in that neck of the woods, you may also want to consider checking out Vienna and the outlying areas. Austria is beautiful and has so much history.

Amsterdam was a stop both times in Europe and is amazing. You really cant appreciate it until you acually go there. I will leave it at that :p

Enjoy, and take lots of pics!

MarkG813

Reaction score
Visit site
Super jealous! Im a big Volkswagen fan so I'd like to go to Wolfsburg to tour the plant, the WWII camps world also be Interesting. I think if your going to Europe, you must go to Amsterdam! I may have to start planning a trip myself :)

CBRF3RIDER

Reaction score
Visit site
If you are planning on going to Munich, try to make a trip southwest and visit Neuschwanstein. Absolutely stunning castle and area. I think its a bit of a trip (over an hour, if I remember right) but very worth visiting. If your going to Stuttgart, about an hour north in Sinsheim there is a really cool aircraft and vehicle museum that is worth seeing. They have quite a few unique aircraft on display, including a Concorde! I haven't been there in years but I assume its still there. Look up Technik Museum Speyer/Sinsheim if you are interested.

Most of my family is from Erlensee, right outside of Hanau. Germany is a beautiful country!

Almost forgot- if your interested in visiting a concentration camp, Dachau is about a half hour away from Munich. Just make sure they are open before you go. Ran into a problem last time I was there with them being closed during a random day of the week with no explanation.

Last edited:

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I know he's looking at Dachau. I'm really interested in the WWII/Concentration Camp stuff but in reality, I don't think I could handle seeing the camps. Too upsetting for me.

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
Nordshleiffe!!!! You can't go to Germany and not hit the ring!!!

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

CBRF3RIDER

Reaction score
Visit site
I know he's looking at Dachau. I'm really interested in the WWII/Concentration Camp stuff but in reality, I don't think I could handle seeing the camps. Too upsetting for me.

Its one thing to see the footage on TV or in a museum, but to actually visit a camp is completely different. Knowing that tens of thousands of people died and even more suffered where you are walking around is a very eerie feeling. The other thing I found unsettling was that the camp is basically right in the town of Dachau, not isolated in some field in the middle of nowhere. There is a McDonalds a few blocks away!

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, I'm off to Germany on business in May for Drupa (print show) in Dusseldorf. Kazza's not able to come with me so it'll be a solo trip.

I'm only going to have a few days to myself, but I want to fit in as much as I can. I'm thinking of Stuttgart and Munich or Amsterdam and Berlin. Interested in WWII camps etc and possibly Mercedes factory etc.

Any advice? Any other ideas of things to see or do in these places?

Much appreciated.

Mike Munich is a great town and so is Amsterdam, never been to Berlin, although its on my list of places to visit.

If you come to Amsterdam we could go out for a drink or for a bite to eat. not sure when you're coming over (Drupa is from 3rd to the 16th of may), on the 4th of May it is rememberance day in the Netherlands, followed by liberation day on the 5th. Generally there are things like parades and a convoy of old military vehicles. There are lots of museums in Amsterdam, among others the Anne Frank museum.

If you are planning on going to Munich, try to make a trip southwest and visit Neuschwanstein. .....

Almost forgot- if your interested in visiting a concentration camp, Dachau is about a half hour away from Munich. Just make sure they are open before you go. Ran into a problem last time I was there with them being closed during a random day of the week with no explanation.

Its one thing to see the footage on TV or in a museum, but to actually visit a camp is completely different. Knowing that tens of thousands of people died and even more suffered where you are walking around is a very eerie feeling. The other thing I found unsettling was that the camp is basically right in the town of Dachau, not isolated in some field in the middle of nowhere. There is a McDonalds a few blocks away!

I totally agree, although I've never been, I've passed it several times (on my way to go sking) . Many years ago, some mates of mine decided to visit Dachau (whilst I went with another group into Munich), anyway it had a profound effect on them, it really took them several days to get over the shock :eek:

Neuschwanstein is a great castle, with lovely scenary (the edge of the alps) :thumbup: another place not far from Munich is the eagles nest, one of the former residences of Adolf Hitler.

Last edited:

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Martin, Mike leaves Perth 1st May, returns 14th May. I think he's pretty keen on Amsterdam, The Eagles nest etc. So many things he wants to do.....

Prebstar

FZ6 Maintenance Man
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestions everyone :thumbup: some great info

I definitely like the sound of Munich and doing Dachau, the eagles nest and Neuschwanstein

Martin... I arrive on the 1st and leave on the 12th. I've got the hotel in Dusseldorf till the 9th but will probably only spend 3-5 days at Drupa. Definitely gonna go to Amsterdam for a night as it's pretty close to Dusseldorf so it would be great to catch up for a drink

Last edited:

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I spent a week in Düsseldorf every November for 13 years from 1996 to 2008 attending the Medica exhibition. The Altstadt is a great place for food and drink and as it should be waming up by then it will be more hospitable than in November.

You can't go to Düdo without trying the local specialities, Alt beer and Killepitsch. Visit the Killepitschstube "Et Kabüffke" in Flingerstrasse to try the local liqueur. It is so small they serve people out on the street through a window when it is full.

Food-wise there are several excellent German restaurants in the Altstadt. Many have their own microbrewery in house and make their own derivative of Alt beer. Goldener Kessel, Zum Schlüssel, Im Füchschen, Schweine Janes, Uerige Hausbrauerei, Schumacher... try the Schweinehaxe mit Apfelrotkohl und Klößen oder mit Sauerkraut und Kartoffelpüree (knuckle of grilled pork with red cabbage and potato dumpling or sauerkraut and mashed potatoes) or Rheinischer Sauerbraten in Rosinensauce, Apfelrotkohl, Kartoffelkloß, Mandelsplitter und Apfelmus (Rhine-style marinated beef with raisin sauce, red cabbage, potato dumpling and apple sauce).

If you are feeling brave, Schumacher and Uerige serve delicious Mettbrötchen which is raw minced pork with chopped onion and mustard, served on a bread roll. Even the sausages from the street vendors are better than anything you will find anywhere else.

In the same area are a few noisy pubs, notable ones are Da Speigel and Die Engel which is dark and dingy and plays very loud hard rock music. Look for the sign with the polar bear on!

For great views of the city go up the Rheinturm which has a revolving restaurant 180m above street level.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If you take the train into Amsterdam, it's pretty much right in the center of everything, close to the red light district, so everything is within walking distance.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If you take the train into Amsterdam, it's pretty much right in the center of everything, close to the red light district, so everything is within walking distance.

Kenny ......Karen's gonna kick yer a$$!!!!!!! :spank::spank: :rof:

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Kenny ......Karen's gonna kick yer a$$!!!!!!! :spank::spank: :rof:

He's NOT going there Kenny........

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well there is nothing wrong with window shopping. I only mentioned it because that''s where all the action is as far as the night life, places to eat and see, like the canals. It's really a hopping area, a must see in my opinion and very convenient if he arrives by train. If you fly into Schipol, probably one of the most impressive airports I have ever seen and been to.

Amsterdam, a lot of WWII history, the buildings are old and historic. Just 45 minutes away in Rotterdam, a port city, all the building are new. That's the difference when you are a port city in a war, prepare to get bombed!

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Kenny is right when he says it's in the heart of the most historic part of the city, so you can't really avoid it, all the tourist groups take a trip there. The Dutch are very relaxed about it and actually find it quite funny how the tourists react to it all.
Despite what people think, as kenny said there are some great pubs and restaurants there as well :thumbup:

BTW Alkmaar also has a red light district, but Mrs Cloggy doesn't stop me going out for a drink.

Andz your right about the Altstadt being the place to be in Dusseldorf, I've been there a few times whilst visiting the christmas market.

Mike, it sounds like you have a lot to do in a couple of days :eek:

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
He's NOT going there Kenny........

When I was 21 I went to Drupa with mum dad and my litle sis ( she was about 15)
I paid my own way , dads business covered his and te rest of te familys fares etc.
Weh we got to Amst. dad and I went for a walk one night, man oh man,
what a nights entertainment, we saw so much that was so foreign to our aussie way of life, it was amazing. And we did not go into any club, den, boudoir, or anywhere we would not be able to explain to my mum, dads wife, his daughter or my kid sister.

It was interesting when we were in Germany we all went to herr or doctor muellers sex shops it was the novelty of it back then ( 1981)
now that is so common and tacky everywhere.
I'm sure Prebstar will only do what he is comfortable with
and whatever that may be, .........
I wish you a safe trip
ade