Good bye FJR, hello Hondapotamas

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
This is a repost from the FZ1 forum

So I had this really nice 2004 FJR all farkled up with heated grips,suspension, custom seat and cruise control plus I had close to 90,000 miles on it. Still pulled like a rocket and had no trouble with a buck 50 in Nevada. This trusty steed hauled my butt all over the western US of A from the Pacific Ocean to the Black Hills of South Dakota, Taos, New Mexico and most places in between. Last year I added a wet cold September Yellowstone, it was a great day. I remember riding back from Monument Valley in the spring of 2007 in a snowstorm out of St. George, Utah that cleaned the bugs off the bike better than any wash job.
Here is a picture in full long distance mode.

IMG_1056_zps0900f768.jpg

Then on September 17th this year while riding with Dustin to see Mt. St. Helens in Washington state I had a young deer ask me for a date at 55mph. When I declined she dumped me and the bike- ok I ran her arse over!
The bike was totaled and but wearing a zip together motoport suit along with all the other good gear I was able to hobble away. Thanks again for your help Dustin, I rented a car at the Portland Or. airport and drove home.
This sucked but I didn't want it back..

IMG_3708_zpsf99ebaf9.jpg

So fast forward a month and I find myself flying back to Portland Or (exactly 4 weeks later) where the seller of a fine 08 Honda Gold Wing picked me up and we went to his house where I bought the replacement for the FJR.
This well liked beastie has some suspender upgrades, low 12k miles, abs, heated grips/seats, navigation and an airbag(hope I never need that!). Here are a couple pictures from the ride home.

IMG_0066.jpg

IMG_0060-2.jpg

IMG_0062-1.jpg

Actually the plan was to get a Wing after the FJR was worn out so Bambi just accelerated things a bit. My wife will ride some with me and I wanted more quiet and comfort for the 500 mile plus days.

So you are thinking "what a toad, riding a Hondapotamas" . I would not blame you for this but be aware they do handle quite well for a 900 lb machine. However, I still have this bad boy for when it's time to rip up the twisty's.

IMG_2864.jpg

Xavias

Shenanigans.
Reaction score
Visit site
Glad you're okay and riding again! Very nice looking wing you've got there (And I'm going to start using the term 'hondapottamus' for my dad's wing now, so thanks for that!)

My neighbor's got a wing 1800, thing's a TORQUE MONSTER.
Happy riding, sir!

edfz6

Reaction score
Visit site
Nice ride! I used to have a Valkyrie. The naked wing....absolute comfort.. too bad I moved in the city and had to get rid of her... wife always tells me how much she misses her when she sees me ride..

Lefty

Quis, mihi fatigo?
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Very beautiful bike, and I wouldn't call it a "Hondapotamas", it's just a different kind of ride is all. Enjoy it for all it's worth. :thumbup:

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
+1 Thats got to be a comfy ride. My Gramps had an '81 or '83 winger when I was a kid. I loved when he picked me up from school on it:thumbup: