Has your bike ever hit the ground?

Has your bike ever touched pavement?

• No, my bike has never been dropped, or layed down. It's still a minter.

Votes: 393 36.6%
  • Yes, the side of my bike has touched pavement.

Votes: 681 63.4%

• Total voters
S

sm00thpapa

Yeah I hate those road snakes. They are re-doing all the streets in my area in Florida and there are thousands of those all over the place. No way I could avoid them, I just have to be careful.

howettl

Reaction score
Visit site
I guess what those of us who voted no can take from this thread is to learn from others mistakes! ie. always making sure the sidestand is down before letting go of the bike, etc.

The FZ6 is my second bike and I've never dropped either one... yet. I'm holding on to hope that it will never happen, but I suppose it's inevitable. Luckily I bought it with frame sliders already installed!

peterfz6

Reaction score
Visit site
I just laid her down today >< was practicing the u-turns couldn't complete it so I stopped holding the clutch in but not the brake w/ the wheel turned left. It slide from underneath me and plop... no frame sliders so I ended up with the clutch lever bent, crank case cover scratched, minor nick on the left bar end, and nick on the top-left corner of the cowling.

Chris89002

Reaction score
Visit site
I almost dropped it once at a red light. That was right after I did legs at the gym.
Word of advice to all, make sure your legs aren't jello before you ride. Haha:D

ruffnready5

Reaction score
Visit site
Watched my son fall trying to slow for a turn on gravel causing a short panic, thus forgot I was on gravel. I was barely rolling waiting on him so I muscled it to the ground feet planted causing no cosmedic damage but WTF with the front turn brackets? Broke my turn signal off( damn) I have since modified the brackets and used them for rears with homemade tag bracket. It actually looks pretty good. Small scratch on bar end and front fairing horn on black plastic. Oh yah, back side of right mirror has some scratchs but no damage anywere else (lucky). My sons Ninja slid about 4 feet and wow, the scratches to his new bikes virgin paint. (only 1500 miles on his) FRAME SLIDERS PAY FOR THEMSELVES!

addy

Reaction score
Visit site
Yes, It's cursed but I love it anyway.

1, Hit by another rider on a track day, forcing the bike into the kitty litter. Lite cosmetic damage.
2, Hit by 4WD, driver didn't look when he suddenly changed lanes. Knocking the bike over and damaging my arm. Before we had the insurance company inspect it mate took it for a track day.
3, My mate downsided it on the track before insurance inspection. Right side cosmetic damage, front fairing cracked, handlebars bent (track day damage). All nearly repaired.

Last edited:

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Bike, me, the girlfriend we have all been there and rolled around the floor laughing before getting it back up.

Here is a piece of advice. If you are afraid of dropping a bike then buy a car.

Steve

rider1a

Reaction score
Visit site
I never drop my FZ6 BUT I did shear off the right foot-peg getting around a tight garage and as a result was not able to actually ride my bike to pick up the Pony Express bag.

So I guess this qualifies as a drop and puts me back in the squid box.
spank2.gif

Fred

YamaSpeed

Dartmouth Ambassador
Reaction score
Visit site
Mine fell over but it landed on top of me so it had a nice cushioned fall and did not touch the ground.

Fzguitarnut

Reaction score
Visit site
I bought an 08 FZ6 in June and the dealership was nice enough to drop it off in my driveway. Although I wanted to test her out the day I bought it I decided to wait till I had it insured. Thus I parked it in the garage and started flipping though the owners manual.

I should of left it at that but new bike excitement kicked in and I decided to try out the center stand. I had no previous experience with a center stand before. With no trouble at all I get her lifted on the stand and step back and check it out. I'm thinking to myself why did they say they could be tricky?

When I went to set it back down on the side stand I was on the left of the bike, grabbed the left grip and the left passager grip, rocked it forward and off she went. The rear tire sprang back up after it hit and the front kicked out to the left, my shoes had no grip on the concrete floor and down she went into a wood work bench. There was this sickening crunch and the right mirror was folded up. Long story short I had to call my friend to help me right the bike, I just couldn't get leverage in the space between the seat and the bench.

On inspection I bent the brake and scratched the mirror. Since then I've tried grabbing the bike on the left grip and the right passanger grip to get her off the center stand. (still not sure this is the safest way but so far it's worked.)

About 1 week later I rode it out of the garage flicked the sidestand down and was going to dismount to close the garage door. Once my right foot cleared the tail light I realised something was wrong, the stand should of caught by now. Down she went in what felt like one of those hollywood slow-mo scenes. It seemed to take forever. Scratched the left mirror, part of the fairing and the crankcase on that misshap. To add insult to injury I had an audience, a neighborhood boy watched the whole thing.

Later that night I almost repeated the same mistake, this time I managed to keep it up avoiding more damage. Ironically, this time the Father of the boy from earlier was watching. :rolleyes:

I now make sure to get a visual check everytime I flick the kickstand to ensure it is down and not over a hole or soft earth.

Last edited:

Mark85

Hairy Faced Idiot
Reaction score
Visit site
mine went down last night
What was I doing? Flying round a bend at 65? Pulling a massive wheelie? Out on a track day?

Nope. I was doing a U turn about about 2mph and went over a patch of gravel. I felt the bike start to slide so i put my foot down (on another patch of gravel) and ended up on the floor, with a bike on top of my leg.

I've scratched the right hand top fairing, a little bit on the frame, and a bit of engine cover.
between £150 and £200 to have it fixed apparently. Bummer.
Worst thing of all?
It's only 3 weeks old.

krushnuts

Where did I put my keys..
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
is just a matter of time.. :)

Brought her around my front yard coming home from work and gently laid her down just before parking due to a lil over steer. Slow motion like, she was just over the point of balance. TG the grass was there!

deeptekkie

Reaction score
Visit site
Not yet, (thankfully), but from riding for many, many years and exponentially many more miles I'm not so stupid to think that it won't happen. Odds are against it! Safe riding!

Yami4Life

Get Out &amp;amp; Ride!
Reaction score
Visit site
I bought my bike used & the previous owner said he dropped it learning in a parking lot at low speed, damage wasn't bad but I fixed it anyway.

Then I was at friends house chilling out and having a good ol' time when someone walks in and ask's "Who has the silver motorcycle parked out front?"
I replied with a smile "That's mine". He replies "Well I didn't see it parked in the parking space until I hit it with my car and I need a hand picking it up off the ground." I reply "WTF!!!???" :eek:

So I took it to my local dealer for a estimate on what it needed and how much, gave the guy the estimate of almost $1000 and he paid me. I did all the work myself & ended up fixing it for around $200, so I made some pretty good money after all was said and done but it was still a crappy experience :thumbdown: