Have you ever had an off???

have you come off before???

• Yes

Votes: 75 49.0%
  • No

Votes: 38 24.8%
  • Yes a slow drop (in the driveway, uturn, forgot stand, lost balance etc)

Votes: 40 26.1%

• Total voters

stink989

Reaction score
Visit site
Have you ever had an off?
All the news of late with people having crashes had me wondering who has and who hasnt had a crash...

Me i had an off on my old gpx250 when on Ls i was going to quick :rolleyes:it was wet and the front wheel locked up on one of those white arrows on roundabout sore knee and scratched the bike a bit leson learned there...slow the f*** down and dont be an idiot.
Got hit by a car on a roundabout on the same bike but on Ps other driver in the wrong but didnt go down.
besides that havnt come off the fz but that old gpx copped a bit with a few crashes and lots of drops. thats what learner bike are for i suppose

macem29

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
once about 25 years ago, FZ600...travelling about 40 km/hr...twisty road,
during transition from left to right turn hit a spot of lower-ground down
pavement, off in an instant watching my bike slide away, bad sight it was,
completely my fault, not watching the road surface close enough

wlaroche

Reaction score
Visit site
When I had my GS500 I went in to fuel up and put the kickstand down. Got off and the bike slowly rolled forward and down it went. That thing had a crazy kickstand that was to long and it could go over very easy. I tried to save it, but over she went. Picked it up and fueled. Man was I embarrassed, newbe. :Flash:

Ridgeback

Wakin up the neighbours
Reaction score
Visit site
Yep 2x KTM's,1x Alfa 250 SM,1x XR600R

Worse one was the alfa.I popped down the local shops wearing my crosser gloves. :rolleyes: Car in front braked suddenly on the apex of a sharp bend in the wet,I locked up the front and over I went.Took the three fingers on my left hand down to the bone......

Never made that mistake again ;)

macem29

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
When I had my GS500 I went in to fuel up and put the kickstand down. Got off and the bike slowly rolled forward and down it went. That thing had a crazy kickstand that was to long and it could go over very easy. I tried to save it, but over she went. Picked it up and fueled. Man was I embarrassed, newbe. :Flash:

never done it but I can easily see it happening, just a seconds distraction
while you're getting the stand set is all it would take, trip over the weekend
with 3 friends, one Harley rider... his kickstand has a latch on it, once the
weight of the bike is set on it, it cannot swing backwards, don't know why
all bikes don't have that

mxgolf

Motoup
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
About 25 years ago I had a Suzuki GS750 and was on my way home from work when I hit a gravel pile in the middle of the road. It was raining pretty heavily, it was 11:30 at night and there was no barriers at all in the road. I took this route home every day and couldn't see the pile until it was too late. I dislocated my hip ( OUCH the most pain I have ever been in ) and totaled my motorcycle. I thought I would never ride on the street again until I bought my FZ6. I really missed it.

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
All the news of late with people having crashes had me wondering who has and who hasnt had a crash...

Me i had an off on my old gpx250 when on Ls i was going to quick :rolleyes:it was wet and the front wheel locked up on one of those white arrows on roundabout sore knee and scratched the bike a bit leson learned there...slow the f*** down and dont be an idiot.
Got hit by a car on a roundabout on the same bike but on Ps other driver in the wrong but didnt go down.
besides that havnt come off the fz but that old gpx copped a bit with a few crashes and lots of drops. thats what learner bike are for i suppose

This is why the MSF teaches that you need to dress for the crash. It only takes a moment, and it can change your life. And you don't get to choose when.

Serious crashes, with broken bones? 1. Road rash? a couple. SHOULD have crashed? There's no telling how many times. Driveway tip overs? A couple.

Rack up enough miles, and the bike will fall down. I average about one fall every two riding years where I am riding on a daily basis.

Dr.Moby

Reaction score
Visit site

On an unfamiliar bike, my friends Ninja, 7 years ago. I hadnt been riding in the 5 years leading up to that. I hit a patch of gravel in a hard turn heading up a hill (ie washout from the recent rain). Apparently, I lost control and bailed (thrown) before the bike flipped 5 times. I still dont remember that entire day. No broken bones or rash- ATGATT. And my life for a full faced helmet.

It was a great lesson that the potential for error is significant with any new bike. Start easy and built my experience up with that particular vehicle according to my skills, not my balls.

DrM

Hutchmaster34

Sparkie
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I haven't yet either. I have had about 3 very close calls, 2 of which were other cars and 1 pothole while in mid curve. Makes me nervous it's not an IF it's WHEN you have your fall. ATGATT

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes in a tight turn I lost the front and tried to keep it tracking in the soft sandy dirt where the front dug in and the bike endo'd on it's tail. :eek: :(
As RJ said, gear was very important and though I received injuries to my ribs, if I didn't have great gear I know it would be a lot worse. :rockon:

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
27 years ago... 18 yrs old, young and stupid. Did have almost full gear on though. Dumped the 1981 Honda CB750F Supersport in a wheelie at about 70+ MPH. I hit and slid on my back (leather jacket) and the bike flipped end over end. Totalled... out of pocket loss with no insurance... THAT was the end of my stunting days...

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
27 years ago... 18 yrs old, young and stupid. Did have almost full gear on though. Dumped the 1981 Honda CB750F Supersport in a wheelie at about 70+ MPH. I hit and slid on my back (leather jacket) and the bike flipped end over end. Totalled... out of pocket loss with no insurance... THAT was the end of my stunting days...

I don't believe you. I still think you have it in you! :Flip: Haha! :rof::rof: :rockon:

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't believe you. I still think you have it in you! :Flip: Haha! :rof::rof: :rockon:

I do, but that beast is kept at bay unless you put me on a dirt bike. ;) Carving corners is all I do now. :thumbup:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hmmmm... where do i start! Having ridden over 350000km'on bikes in Australia & Europe...i have had a few tumbles...

First one, 18 years old, Yamaha SR185! overtaking a car on the inside!!! :eek: Car turned into me, footpeg dug into it's tyre, spun the bike sideways, went down, slid for 30 metres...got up...no nasty stuff, bike all ok....move on, nothing to see here!

Next one...not much further down my motorcycling journey, Honda VF400....turning right...got half way through the turn, realised a truck was coming, panicked, chucked on the skids, lost the front end, dropped bike at low speed, right ikn front of the truck...got up, ran away, truck locks up brakes, and bounces to within a foot of my bike, before coming to a stop...result, a broken brake lever, relief, and luck on my side again...

Next one, i was not even on the bike!!! A car parked on top of my Ducati 500 Pantah (which i still own!), $6000 damage!

Next one, Ducati again...this time, not too long after it was fixed from the car parking on top of it....blocked carby from paint flecks in the carby, from re-spray from first accident repair...bike running like poop, struggling to get it home, sitting at 60km/h in 4th gear, near redline, but with hardly any power, come to a corner, nearly home, and the carby unblocks itself...bike takes off mid corner with full power renewed, bike sits up, hit curb, highside, fly 20 metres through the air....snapped collarbone!!! bone was actually sticking out of my skin! But my Clover Textile Jacket with full armour left me without any other scratches, or bruises...

Next one...not that long ago, My Black FZ6, Lobethal Road, came into an uphill left hand corner, "on the pipe", hit some gravel under brakes, front end starts to slide, i sit bike up, head straight for cliff face....somehow managed to slow bike enough to not hit the cliff face...rather graze it, and kick out with my right foot to get back out on the road!!!! Get bike back into right gear, keep riding...checking my dacks for GT stripes! Close one!

Next one, black FZ6 again!.....nasty one!, same road, Lobethal Road!!!! Coming home from the toy run, taking it easy, when i come around a blinnd corner and a 4WD is sitting in the middle of the road stationary, no indicators flashing....i have 2 choices, go round it on the inside...cliff face about 18inches away from car, or go around the outside onto the wrong side of the road....i take the wrong side of the road route...as i do, car begins to turn right, right in frontof me, then indicates as it is turning! Next thing i am smashing into the back of the 4WD at about 60km/h, result, very bent bike, very bent me...resulting injuries, fractured rib, fractured ankle, deep vein thrombosis, from internal bleeding....Christmas in Hospital...2 months off the bike!

Next one, FZ6 again, but my FZ6 Cup bike this time...at the track, 120km/h highside....fractured the other foot, and broke my hand!!!

This was only 3 months after i got back on the bike after hitting the 4 WD!!!

I can tell you know, it took me nearly 12 months to get back to riding with real confidence, and to the ability i had before the 2 FZ6 crashes...was very "gun shy" for a long while!!!!

In all my accidents, wearing decent riding gear saved me from having far worse injury's, and in all my accidents, i have never had a serious case of gravel rash....GEAR! ATGATT!

Phew! That was quite a "spiel"!

:D

Last edited:

lytehouse

The Toy Lady
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Wolfman, you definetly have your Guardian Angels working overtime to keep an eye on you! :innocent: Bet they start to panic everytime you get on a bike!

Last edited:

kpaul

The Great Destroyer
Reaction score
www.xbox.com
On an unfamiliar bike, my friends Ninja, 7 years ago. I hadnt been riding in the 5 years leading up to that. I hit a patch of gravel in a hard turn heading up a hill (ie washout from the recent rain). Apparently, I lost control and bailed (thrown) before the bike flipped 5 times. I still dont remember that entire day. No broken bones or rash- ATGATT. And my life for a full faced helmet.

It was a great lesson that the potential for error is significant with any new bike. Start easy and built my experience up with that particular vehicle according to my skills, not my balls.

DrM

How'd your friend feel about that? :)

FZ-B

Reaction score
Visit site
November 2006, put a BMW F650S down in a hard left turn. Too hot in, made every imaginable mistake after. Totaled the bike, ended up with a sprained ankle, wrist and thumb which took longer to heal than a break! Gear saved my ass.

Got the bike out of the dirt, unbent it to a degree, removed the broken plastic junk and started it. Limped it home which was an experience unto itself!

Jblk9695

Elite Member
Reaction score
www.MachiningbyBlake.com
First one was in 1961(if any of you can remember back that far:D) on a Vespa Motor Scooter, rode the thing out of the neighbors driveway across the street and up our driveway veering to the left across the next door neighbors yard and right into the driveway light he just concreted in, good thing it was there or I'd of run right into his new Ford Fairlane hard top convertable:eek: My mom was pissed cause I ripped my new jeans:spank:
Had various slow or no speed tip overs, once I forgot to put the side stand down and would have hit the ground if it wasn't for my riding buddy grabbing the sissy bar and pushing me back up right. Put an 83 GoldWing on its side when the side stand hit a bump in the road and didn't go out all the way, did it in the car wash once when my boot slipped off the center stand and over she went.
But the best one was after a buddy of mine and I had got his bike up and running after consuming a few beers(a case or so) and then trying out his bike by going to the bar and downing some hard liquor, we then proceeded to play tag your it on the bikes:eek: until I couldn't find him and did a U turn, all I heard was JERRY and then crash, my bud and I were on the ground. We were so drunk we didn't get hurt. tore the heal off my boot and put a dent in the tank but nothing to bad. Dodged a bullet on that one:D
So the moral to that is don't drink and drive especially don't play tag:BLAA:

Had a few close calls but have never managed to get hurt enough to require medical assistance, knock on wood:D

Jerry

zmeiaspas

The tall one
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeap - 3 times :)

Once locked the front coming to a stop @ a light in the rain (first month of owning a bike).

Then got rearended and totaled the bike.

Then lowsided my VFR @ about 30mph taking a tight hairpin. Went a tad wide, hit some **** and ended up in the guardrail. Both bike and I were just fine. The 120mile trip back home with no shifter and no left foot peg was not cool though.

Oh and I stalled and dropped my street bike at a gas station the first time I rode it after spending 2 days on the track on my track bike. Forgot how different the throttle and clutch response are compared to my track bike so I ****ed up 2 minutes after I took off :)

Oh and I've only been riding since last August :D Don't wanna know how many more crashes are coming my way.

Last edited: