HEL Brake Line Setup

andyfazer600

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey folks,

Been kept away a while with work but back now and looking to get the bike good to go!

I fitted HEL brake hoses yesterday but have a few queries and thought you knowledgable folks could assist.

A picture paints a thousand words so I've attached some.

I'm fairly confident the rear is setup correctly, albeit the hose was a little longer than I'd like but it fitted.

I routed the main front hose from the master cylinder down to the left caliper (sitting on the bike) and used the double banjo connector to loop the second shorter hose over the mudguard to the right caliper. I think this the correct routing?

The original hose has a 3-way block mounted on the left fork, I was expecting to use this mounitng point to secure the new hose in place but nothing is provided, leaving the hose loose and bracket unused. Not sure if this is correct or I'm missing something from HEL?

Thanks in advance

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Your set up looks fine. I assume you bought the kit with the "loop over the fender style". Mine are two separate lines from the master to each caliper. Yours definitly look neater than mine (I don't think your style was available back then).

As for the lower fork leg supporting the cables, I made my own out of 1/8" aluminum. I literally copied the lower end(that attaches to the forks) to the aluminum, then modified the top so I could zip tie the brake cables to it.

BTW, my rear line was long too. About the same as yours. It bothered me enough, I sent it back and they shortened it for no charge. I don't remember how much shorter I made it, (been about 5 years), maybe an inch?

Some pic's, double click to enlarge;

Last edited:

andyfazer600

Reaction score
Visit site
Your set up looks fine. I assume you bought the kit with the "loop over the fender style". Mine are two separate lines from the master to each caliper. Yours definitly look neater than mine (I don't think your style was available back then).

As for the lower fork leg supporting the cables, I made my own out of 1/8" aluminum. I literally copied the lower end(that attaches to the forks) to the aluminum, then modified the top so I could zip tie the brake cables to it.

BTW, my rear line was long too. About the same as yours. It bothered me enough, I sent it back and they shortened it for no charge. I don't remember how much shorter I made it, (been about 5 years), maybe an inch?

Some pic's, double click to enlarge;

Thanks Scott :thumbup:

Think yours is what HEL refer to as "Race" setup, apparently performs better than the "Over The Mudguard" style I have.

My next project will be to make some kind of replacement mount for the unused bracket, thanks for the advice and pics.

Might send the rear line back to HEL for adjustment but I'm desperate to get back on the road!

nivag

Reaction score
Visit site
I've got the over mudguard on mine, not near the bike at the moment and it was a few years ago when i did the swap but I think I tried to use the existing clip on the mudguard though the cable was slightly longer so kept pulling it out. Think it's got a cable tie to keep it smart. Will check when i get home.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks Scott :thumbup:

Think yours is what HEL refer to as "Race" setup, apparently performs better than the "Over The Mudguard" style I have.

My next project will be to make some kind of replacement mount for the unused bracket, thanks for the advice and pics.

Might send the rear line back to HEL for adjustment but I'm desperate to get back on the road!

No problem. I had to put the old rear line back on while waiting, but they got it done quick, within a couple of days tops...

Also, I just remembered after reading your bolded post above.

Obviously I removed any guides on the lower triple tree and already had the stock horn removed (Stebel stuffed under the fairing).

Anyway, I bent up a coat hanger into two loops(one piece). One side large enough for the brake line to go thru, the other end, bolts to the lower triple clamp(forgot if it was the horn mount or old brake bracket).

That keeps the line from moving about and should let the line go up and down with the suspension moving..

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a HEL kit with the dual race lines (had it for months actually) I must just make time to fit it. I'll keep this thread in mind when I get round to it.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I too have a longer than necessary rear line. When I had it fitted the mech had a devil of a time blleding it as the air just got caught in the top of the line but its fine now.
I have over the guard set up as per stock too.
I ended up just locking the front brake on over night and tapped the line to get air to rise to the top of the reservoir to finish off the bleed.

race lines or stock set up, if its set up properly will perform the same, as the fluid is designed to not compress and give you the same proportionate pressure at the caliper that you apply at the lever. If there's is moisture in the fluid or air, that will compress before you get full braking capacity-spongy lever/pedal
these photos show the long rear and the best I can get of the front set up

elus1ve

Reaction score
Visit site
Coincidentally I just measured the factory brake lines length today. As I was ordering braided lines to replace the originals.

The seller was willing to build my braided lines to my exact specs. I have read many people got longer lines than required so I provided measurements. Anyway here are the measurements from a 2007 (S2) if needed. Measurement is from middle of the bolt to middle of the bolt, +- 1cm.

Front (Cross over setup / Same as factory) :
85cm / 33.46'
50cm / 19.69'

Rear:
50cm / 19.69'

I place an order for Venhill lines.

andyfazer600

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for everyones help and advice ;)

Happy I've got the setup correct now. Moving house on Friday so will be tightening everything up and bleeding soon after.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I too have a longer than necessary rear line. When I had it fitted the mech had a devil of a time blleding it as the air just got caught in the top of the line but its fine now.

As you posted above, the "loop over fender style" does make bleeding a little more difficult than the straight thru..

Off topic for a sec, but isn't your bike re-painted? Me likes! :thumbup:

Gotta change your avatar pic!!!

andyfazer600

Reaction score
Visit site
As you posted above, the "loop over fender style" does make bleeding a little more difficult than the straight thru..

Off topic for a sec, but isn't your bike re-painted? Me likes! :thumbup:

Gotta change your avatar pic!!!

Not got round to bleeding them yet as I'm changing the fork oil and removing the swingarm soon

I haven't had the bike painted in the time I've owned it and I think its the original paint so far as I know but I am a bit of clean freak and like to make it look the best I can. Thanks for the like! :thumbup:

New avatar to follow lol

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
O think maube Scott was thinking of my grab rail re paint i got the cocept from a pic of gpostarmy's bike
I'll prob get a current pic into botm

my iPhone post using Tapatalk - sorry for any shpillong mishtooks i has fat fingies

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The yellow and black bike in post #7..

I love/miss the old Yamaha bumble bee look!!

If I could someone to paint an old school, like Kenny Roberts (NOT Rodgers) bikes, I would in a NY minute!

Forgot which bike it was, maybe an RZ400 but the stripes weren't horizontal but somwwhat at angle, super sharp!!!

Last edited:

andyfazer600

Reaction score
Visit site
O think maube Scott was thinking of my grab rail re paint i got the cocept from a pic of gpostarmy's bike
I'll prob get a current pic into botm

my iPhone post using Tapatalk - sorry for any shpillong mishtooks i has fat fingies

:Flash: should have read the post lol

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Can anyone tell me the advantages of the HEL brake lines over stock?

The stock rubber line EXPAND with high pressure/hard braking. Ths SS (any brand) do not. A much firmer lever, a bit less travel(due to no expanding).

IMO, well worth the investment.

My FZ was the first bike I ever put them on, I could probably do a stoppie, but too old and don't particularly want to wreck my baby..

Last edited:

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The brand of SS line can make all the difference in world with fitment. HEL, Speigler, Fren Tubo and the more expensive ones typically fit much better than the inexpensive ones.

They also offer many more options too, colors, types/sizes/shapes of banjos, etc. Some also offer different internal line diameters too.

Last edited:

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The yellow and black bike in post #7..

I love/miss the old Yamaha bumble bee look!!

If I could someone to paint an old school, like Kenny Rodgers bikes, I would in a NY minute!

Forgot which bike it was, maybe an RZ400 but the stripes weren't horizontal but somwwhat at angle, super sharp!!!

LOLOL don't you mean Kenny Roberts the country singer? :spank:

I like these paint jobs: