Helmet COMPARISONS

abner

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey fellas, after reading a few helmet posts I realized that a lot of the fluff is about "love my .....". What we don't have is posts that compares helmets.

I decided to replace my HJC CL-15 in hopes of reducing wind noise and whistling. I ended up going with a Shoei RF-1000 strickly because it fit the best after tryin on just about every brand a thousand times. It seems to have less of a round shape than the HJC, but it could simply be that the HJC was broken in. The Shoei RF-1000 provides much less whistling and slightly less wind noise. If I had it over, I probably would have saved the $600 CAN and invested in a taller wind screen. The $400 difference in price certainly isn't justified.:(

Anyone else wanna chime in on comparisons to save their fellow F Zeders a few bucks...

tom5796

Fizshizzle
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, I have a Shoei RF1000 which fits very well but I recently picked up a Schuberth S1 which I have to say is insanely quiet. Plus it has a sweet mechanism that allows you to flip down an internal gray shade for daytime. No more carrying a second lens if you're out from day to night.

It's normally a $700 helmet but Sierra Trading Post is running a special at about $400. Plus you can take another 10% off if it's your first order with them. :rockon:

Schuberth S1 Helmet - Save 43%

clunk

Apprentice
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, I have a Shoei RF1000 which fits very well but I recently picked up a Schuberth S1 which I have to say is insanely quiet. Plus it has a sweet mechanism that allows you to flip down an internal gray shade for daytime. No more carrying a second lens if you're out from day to night.

It's normally a $700 helmet but Sierra Trading Post is running a special at about $400. Plus you can take another 10% off if it's your first order with them. :rockon:

Schuberth S1 Helmet - Save 43%
I currently have an RF1000 and I was wondering if you feel the Schubert was a worthwhile upgrade. How would you compare the fit and noise levels between the two?

Thanks,
cje

tom5796

Fizshizzle
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The Schuberth is really snug and takes a couple rides to get used to, especially the chin strap which is seatbelt style. Now I find it just as comfortable, but I feel way more secure. It is WAYYYY quieter than the Shoei. In fact it sounds similar to the Shoei with earplugs.

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The Schuberth is really snug and takes a couple rides to get used to, especially the chin strap which is seatbelt style. Now I find it just as comfortable, but I feel way more secure. It is WAYYYY quieter than the Shoei. In fact it sounds similar to the Shoei with earplugs.

If you don't mind Tom.... what was the cost of the Schuberth? What shape is the interior? more round or oval? Thanks!! How did the size compare with the Shoei? Right on the money or did you find it runs larger or smaller?

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My bike came with a flip-up Gmax, I then got a $400 Scorpion EXO-1000, and am now wearing the Gmax again.

Gmax:
Low price (I've seen $120)
Flip-up feature is great; helmet very easy to put on
Comfortable
Some wind noise
Windscreen fogs easily

EXO-1000
Expensive ($400)
Built-in flip up sunscreen is great; helmet difficult to put on
Very comfortable once on, but a bit heavier than the Gmax
A bit quieter than the Gmax, not by much
Windscreen extremely resistant to fogging
Cheekpad snaps: two broke when I removed the pads for cleaning the first time, and the instructions did not say anything about removing those two particular snaps in a sliding, rather than straight-out, direction. It's been sent back to the factory for repair per their direction, but its been 2-3 months now... :confused:

I really like the built-in sunscreen feature, I may check out the HJC FS-10... ...someday.

tom5796

Fizshizzle
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
If you don't mind Tom.... what was the cost of the Schuberth? What shape is the interior? more round or oval? Thanks!! How did the size compare with the Shoei? Right on the money or did you find it runs larger or smaller?

~$397 (less 10%) from Sierra^^^. Shape is ovalish. I'll say that the Shoei was a perfect fit for my head, and this works well too. I ordered a Large (same as the Shoei). It fits but is more snug. I would say that if your current size is snug then go up a notch with the Schuberth. Sierra has a great/easy return policy too.

I did have a problem but it worked out well. The anti-fog coating on the lens started peeling within a couple days. So I sent a note to Schuberth Germany and they shipped a new lens right away. Much better and it even had an upgrade! (better tab for easy up/down movement).

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
That's pretty CHEAP for a Schuberth! Great customer service too! Thanks Tom!