Helmet Law?

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
So I was riding home today on one or our major surface streets and a guy riding an older model Harley type of bike pulls alongside of me at a red light. He asks me if Nevada had a Helmet law, and I replied yes. He sais thanks and took off. I watch him pull away as he started splitting traffic. Took me several lights lights later but I finally caught up to him at another red light. I told him that lane splitting was illegal here! He said Oh Really, thanks for the info! I laughed and watch him pull away again, yup, he was from California.

Ha! Sounds like he was dying to ride without a helmet.

I understand about the lane splitting. I only split (filter) when traffic is stopped but it would be a conscious effort to to not filter if I ever had to. Having to creep forward slowly with the cages when a light turned green doesn't sound like fun.

Ha! Sounds like he was dying to ride without a helmet.

Having to creep forward slowly with the cages when a light turned green doesn't sound like fun.

I filter all the time at red lights, but one time the light turned green on me while I still had another set of cars ahead of me and I ended up splitting the cars while we were going through the intersection. They were honking cause they were pissed. Rather than sliding back in between the cagers in an intersection, I decided to throttle out.

i have been tempted to split lanes a lot recently. if there is a long line of cars at a light and i don't think i am going to make the green when it turns i want to move on up so i don't wait and waste fuel and make my bike a ride on toaster in the process, just because cars can't get the heck out of their own way. but i don;t, because it isn't allowed here...

I filter all the time at red lights, but one time the light turned green on me while I still had another set of cars ahead of me and I ended up splitting the cars while we were going through the intersection. They were honking cause they were pissed. Rather than sliding back in between the cagers in an intersection, I decided to throttle out.

Yeah I look ahead to see where the light cycle is at to make I can filter all the way to the front before my traffic moves. Being in between cars when they start to move is not fun (for me).

Is filtering legal in NV? I think I saw on another post that's it's illegal most places but CA?

How can they ride without a helmet??? I hate bugs and I hate the thought of my head hiting the tarmac...

No kidding. My brother lives in Arizona and they don't have a helmet law there. He said that he got into the bad habit of not wearing his helmet for short trips to save time. I never asked him about the bugs.

He has since (because of not wearing a helmet and other more dangerous habits) realized that he is not responsible enough to own a bike and got rid of his.

in Kansas it is not required to wear a helmet but is required to have some sort of eye protection such as sunglasses.. as for lane flitering, that's illegal

Back