Helmet Lock

XTRAWLD

Reaction score
Visit site
So I searched, and I can't find exactly what I'm looking for, hoping someone can help. Do these bikes (any year) have an "external" helmet lock? Not something that you have to do any tricks with lifting the seat, etc. Just a simple lock somewhere on the bike so you can take your helmet off and lock it up and walk away without struggling with hooking it somewhere on a seat? Pics would be appreciated if they do exist on the FZ's. Thanks!

granda080

Reaction score
Visit site
In the Super Bowl haze I am in, you can see the helmet lock in this picture.

picture.php

It is directly behind where the passenger peg is mounted to the bike.

bd43

Staff member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The factory lock was only put on the bike from 2007+. Earlier years did not have the helmet lock. Just in case you're looking real hard to find it on a 2006 and think you've lost it because it's not there. ;)

Def

Reaction score
Visit site
The factory lock was only put on the bike from 2007+. Earlier years did not have the helmet lock. Just in case you're looking real hard to find it on a 2006 and think you've lost it because it's not there. ;)

Yup, that's right. I had to put an aftermarket one on my 06.(My Ninja had one and I really missed it). They're about $45 or so for a universal one.

XTRAWLD

Reaction score
Visit site
Cool. Certainly I have narrowed my choice of bike to at least an 07 - since I absolutely dispise not being able to lock my helmet away. Anyone know of external locks you can add to the bike if it dosen't have one? - i.e if I find an 04 that I just can't pass up? I'd hate to fault the whole bike on this little "issue" of mine.

Def

Reaction score
Visit site
Last edited:

Kriswithak

Reaction score
Visit site
I had my helmet stolen when using the normal lock behind the seat.
They just slashed the strap and left me with the two D peices.

Guess it depends where you live and park, but I don't leave it locked there anymore. I don't get cheap helmets and its a pricey incident!

Def

Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry for your loss of a good helmet, but yes, a helmet lock will only mitigate the risk of losing your helmet to a spontaneous thief. (One without a knife to cut the helmet free from the helmet lock). Sadly, an organized thief will just take the whole bike.

XTRAWLD

Reaction score
Visit site
Ya. I sorta like to put my helmet on the bike when going into a restaurant, etc, so it's not in the way. Usually, if the bike is still in view. Although that means it's out in the sun and gets hot, and I have to put my head inside when I'm done. We always thought if a thief wants to take the helmet and cut the straps, that it's not going to do either the thief or us any good if he chops it off......can you just replace the straps on a helmet and resell it?

wizer186

Reaction score
Visit site
I had my helmet stolen when using the normal lock behind the seat.
They just slashed the strap and left me with the two D peices.

Guess it depends where you live and park, but I don't leave it locked there anymore. I don't get cheap helmets and its a pricey incident!

Actually surprised this happened to you, I've been really irresponsible about my helmet at times and no one seems to ever touch it. I even left it (and a spare) unlocked on my bike once, with a backpack, had the backpack stolen, but they didn't touch either of the helmets (never did that again...). I think most people don't have a use for it or they have a small, small little voice in their head that says "he probably won't be able to drive home if I take THIS."

To think you even locked it and they did that. I hate people.

wizer186

Reaction score
Visit site
Ya. I sorta like to put my helmet on the bike when going into a restaurant, etc, so it's not in the way. Usually, if the bike is still in view. Although that means it's out in the sun and gets hot, and I have to put my head inside when I'm done. We always thought if a thief wants to take the helmet and cut the straps, that it's not going to do either the thief or us any good if he chops it off......can you just replace the straps on a helmet and resell it?

Bars are the worst. It's impossible to find a place to put a helmet when you're at a crowded bar...