Helmets?

Comet

Reaction score
Visit site
I was wondering what you guys wear. I finally broke down in the midst of moving and ordered a helmet. I was wearing an open face and thought I needed a full face for this bike. I did some investigating and found this "Scorpion Exo-400 Warhawk" to be priced good and has good reviews. It hasnt arrived yet so I cant tell you how I feel about it yet. I got it on E- Bay for $98.00 and free shipping. I have seen them as high as $170.00. They also Make a Exo-1000 with more bells and whistles but is much more money. The Scorpion's have fog proof shields which was a plus for me. Let me know what you think of this one. Thanks [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAeWFr7WA7U"]YouTube - Scorpion EXO-400[/ame]
exo400warhawkblue_small.jpg

among many other helmets (arai, shoei, kbc, hsc) I owe the scorpion ex-400.
I am sorry to say this, but it is one of the worst helmets i have ever had.

The aerodynamics are terrible, your head will wobble as soon as you hit 70mph (especially with fz6 standard windscreen) It is also one of the loudest helmets out there. The visor does NOT seal and there is NO adjustment to fix this problem.

Now I am sure many Ex-400 owners will chime in and defend the helmet. What I have said above is just my experience and my opinion, nothing against scorpion as a company, I've owned two of them because the sales told me all my problems were related to the helmet size and I ended up buying smaller one, which of course I was not allowed to return once I found out it had exactly the same issues as the "larger one" :/ (you wear it, you owe it)

IF you wont the best bang for the buck in my opinion, go with KBC's VR-1x helmet. I bought one a while back on sale and love it. I find myself constantly going back to this helmet over my 5x as expensive arai or shoei.

KBC has all the features of the scorpion but it will feel ALOT quieter, lighter and comfortable.

The only problem so far, the visor does get foggy if not treated with anti-fog spray.

As soon as it's time to replace the helmet i will not think twice, I will get another one of these.

Here is a nice review, check out comments by users: KBC VR-1 Motorcycle Helmet - webBikeWorld

2008_KBC_VR-1X_Beast_Helmet_Beast.jpg

KBC Helmets:precision Engineered!

Last edited:
Recently I bought a Shoei RF-1000, to replace an old model of CMS - gp2 that I had.

Very good fit and quite low noise volume; the Shoei is relatively light, with quite good aerodynamics for high-speed riding :)

I didn't have any experience with the Scorpion Exo helmets but they seem to get good reviews from owners on the other board.

Personally I own this and (despite the noise at higher speeds) love it. Very good ventilation and light enough for the price.

I'm about to order my second HJC CL-SP off of ebay for $115 ($179 list). Not as light as the $500 helmets, but snell/DOT, plenty of air and has never fogged in any condition (though I don't ride in rain). Can't beat the value in my book.

I've read some very interesting research into helmet safety lately and a lot of evidence points to the fact that the 'basic' DOT approved helmets are probably safer in the majority of 'normal' accidents (i.e. 35mph or less where the rider doesn't hit the curb with their helmet) because the shells are softer than some of the other 'better' helmets.

I'll try to find the article, but I think it was in MCN in the UK.

I own a HJC CL-SP. New it was about $200 from the local shop, probably could have been found for cheaper online but I needed it that day. It's extremely comfortable, great ventilation, and has an anti-fog shield which works very well even at stop lights. It is noisy at highway speeds, this would be my only criticism. I'm looking at purchasing a new helmet soon, most likely a Shoei RF-1000 or Scorpion EXO-1000, moderatly pricey, but I have read many good things about them.

IF you wont the best bang for the buck in my opinion, go with KBC's VR-1x helmet. I bought one a while back on sale and love it. I find myself constantly going back to this helmet over my 5x as expensive arai or shoei.

KBC has all the features of the scorpion but it will feel ALOT quieter, lighter and comfortable.

The only problem so far, the visor does get foggy if not treated with anti-fog spray.

As soon as it's time to replace the helmet i will not think twice, I will get another one of these.

Here is a nice review, check out comments by users: KBC VR-1 Motorcycle Helmet - webBikeWorld

2008_KBC_VR-1X_Beast_Helmet_Beast.jpg

KBC Helmets:precision Engineered!

My Buell lid is the KBC VR-1x. The Hardley-Ableson stealership charged me $225 for it but it's pretty good. Might be a bit loud and the venting is okay, but for $225 I'm happy with it.

I have a Simpson Street Bandit that i ordered from the Simpson site for about $250. Its a little bit noisy but with earplugs it isnt too bad. Buffering is minimal. I would order another one when the time comes. I feel the noise is just in exchange for the look.

I have an EXO 400 and maybe its b/c I don't have any other experience with others but it does not seem to be overly loud. I did have a bit of lift when I hit 90 one day(but i bet anything try's to come off the head at high speeds. I had to get different cheek pads to fit me better. All in all for the price I don't have any complaints. Or maybe I am just already hard of hearing and the wind and slight noise does not bother me. I did order a chin skirt just to see if it makes a differance. I might go for a higher cost one next time around, just for comparison.

I also wear the Shoei XR-1000, the older model of the RF-1000 I think???

Cost about $534 two years ago...maybe about time to think about changing...the padding inside is starting to flatten (integrity is still perfect).

This helmet is my first but unlike the "ould first time"...its not painful!! :) Its a great helmet, comfortable, quiet as hell and light!!!

If we are talking about Scorpion helmets, this one is really good: EXO-1000
The main benefits of this model is helmetpump technology, anti-fog visor and retractable sun visor.

I own Shoei XR-1000, but I bought it before this Scorpion model and I think Scorpion gives more for less money. Still, Shoei is among the best helmet brands.

Hey, I'm back.

Anyone use the Shark helmets. I got the Shark RSF 2 Race Nexus helmet, mostly fog-free (except heavy rain), really comfortable and very light. Mine is the same as the pic, except it's silver instead of green bits.

A little bit of wind noise, but nothing too bad. Love the easy-off visor too, push-button locking ring, change visor in 10 seconds.

:)

I've read some very interesting research into helmet safety lately and a lot of evidence points to the fact that the 'basic' DOT approved helmets are probably safer in the majority of 'normal' accidents (i.e. 35mph or less where the rider doesn't hit the curb with their helmet) because the shells are softer than some of the other 'better' helmets.

I'll try to find the article, but I think it was in MCN in the UK.

Yes that is why my last helmet was DOT/ECE and my new helmet is DOT/BSI

Motorcycle Helmet Design, Helmet Standards and Head Protection - Gear Box - Motorcyclist Online

I have a Scorpion EXO 400, and I love it. It fits my head much better than the Shoei or Arai models did. Yes, there is some wind noise, but I've never found a helmet that didn't come with wind noise at speed. I've also got an HJC and a KBC helmet, but the Scorpion fits better, is quieter, is a bit higher quality, doesn't fog up, and has the great quick release for the visor that make cleaning the inside fast and easy.

Last edited:
Hey, I'm back.

Anyone use the Shark helmets. I got the Shark RSF 2 Race Nexus helmet, mostly fog-free (except heavy rain), really comfortable and very light. Mine is the same as the pic, except it's silver instead of green bits.

A little bit of wind noise, but nothing too bad. Love the easy-off visor too, push-button locking ring, change visor in 10 seconds.

:)

Shark makes a hella good helmet. I loved mine. RSR2.

Back