Newbie helmet help! IS-16 or EXO-700? And other gear ?'s

1990dtgl98

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys, I'm new here and to the motorcycle world. I just got my permit and plan on getting a bike over the winter or in the spring. However, I want to buy all my gear first so I don't skimp or decide to cheap out in order to pay for a bike first.

I got my jacket and pants, so those are out of the way.

I'm pretty set on the gloves I want. I tend to sweat a lot :D and so I need something breathable but not unprotected. I'm pretty set on the Cortech HDX. Opinions? I like how its not as short a cuff as some others, but not a full Gauntlet.

As for helmets, I am working with a budget. I tried on many low and mid priced helmets, and narrowed it down to the HJC IS-16 and the Scorpion EXO-700. Both are decent priced, both fit my head really well, and both seem to be reviewed as having good airflow. However, the Scorpion seems to have the edge as a "better overall" helmet in terms of fit and finish and workmanship, as well as offering what seems to be a better anti-fogging lens. The HJC offers the integrated sun visor, but I noticed it was fogging up in the highest of the positions when I was just wearing it in store.

Basically, I was wondering if anyone could chime in and tell me if the EXO-700 was better (and 30 bucks cheaper!) than the IS-16. Also, is using sunglasses really that much of a hassle that I should look at the integrated visor. Also, does the visor fog up as bad as it seemed in store? If so, I may never get to use it, judging by how quickly it fogged up for me in the highest setting.

Basically, I was wondering if sunglasses and full-face helmets were really a hassle or if I should save the extra 30 bucks, and get the EXO.

Thanks for helping a newbie, but not a future :squid:, out!

Last edited:

chihuahuastud

Reaction score
Visit site
I used the EXO 700 for 2 years and really liked it. I wear glasses so I have to use the tinted visor during the day. The only draw back was having to bring a clear shield with me if I planned on being out after dark. I solved that problem with EXO 1000, which I love. Putting glasses on through the helmet is a pain at first but you get used to it. If you have the cash I would get a helmet with the intergrated visor, its worth it.

dean owens

Hippopotomonstrosesquiped
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.ccf-unc.org
i'll ditto most of what chihuahuastud said. i've been riding for 3 years and i have a ex0-700. for me it was all about fit. i really wanted to get a flip helmet but couldn't find one that would fit my head without some sort of pressure point. out of all the helmets that i tried on the scorpion was the only one that really fit and fit well. nice and snug with no pressure points.

i wear glasses so i put them on every time. it's not tough. it can be a pain if i'm riding with a group of guys who like to stop often. with each stop i have to take off my glasses before taking off the helmet. and putting on the helmet has one extra step. and i too have a tented visor. but i have a givi top case and it just sits in there until i'm ready to use it.

i can't speak to the other helmet. but the exo seems to be a quality helmet... both from my research and my use. hope that helps some.

C-bus Biker

Reaction score
Visit site
I really like my Exo 700. No fog whatsoever and feels secure while on. I also purchased the tinted visor though, as I am not able to get sunglasses around my rather round noggin. I can't speak for the HJC although I have other HJC models and have been satisfied.

geetarhero

Reaction score
Visit site
The IS-16 is garbage. Its market are newbies coming into the scene who are mesmerized by the pop down sun-glasses.

I was bit by it too.

the sunguard visor doesnt block out anything, it fogs to all hell, your hands have to come off the bars to make a quick adjustment.
the IS-16 was heavier, less balanced and far more moisy than the BARELY more expensive FS-15; which I absolutly love.
Buy a dark tinted visor and it works beautifully

Overall, just save a few more bucks and get the FS-15.

webbikeworld has great reviews on almost all helmets

Tedward

Reaction score
Visit site
Yet another vote for the exo-700 from me. I wear glasses, it isn't an issue at all. As stated if you're stopping a lot it's a tiny bit annoying, but no big deal.

My only complaint is after long trips, I start to get a pressure point right at the top front of my head. But by long I mean 15+ hours, so doesn't happen too often, and is probably bound to happen with almost any helmet.

I used to get fog on cold days, but now I have a tube of fabric that I put around my neck and pull up over my mouth on cold days to keep warm, and that has the added effect of directing air down away from the visor.

Actually one more minor complaint. If I'm at highway speed, and I click my visor open one notch with all my vents open, it creates a vacuum right in front of my nose so I can't breathe. But it's pretty cool actually so it isn't really a complaint :)

S.D.Willie

Reaction score
www.youtube.com
i love my exo-400 which is similar to the 700. I almost went with the HJC with the internal sunshade but i rode with it since my friend had it and i hated it solely for the internal visor. The tint is so light is useless to me. Plus they dont have replacement internal shields. If i get an internal shield, i dont want to have to buy a dark outer shield.

I also own a Nolan N103 flip up and the internal shield is dark enough and even offers replacements. I just like a dark smoke but again, for 140 bucks for the EXO-400 its awesome. Plus they have some great paint schemes and the shields offer the ever clear coating and the damn things just dont fog up. its essential to me.

1990dtgl98

Reaction score
Visit site
The IS-16 is garbage. Its market are newbies coming into the scene who are mesmerized by the pop down sun-glasses.

I was bit by it too.

the sunguard visor doesnt block out anything, it fogs to all hell, your hands have to come off the bars to make a quick adjustment.
the IS-16 was heavier, less balanced and far more moisy than the BARELY more expensive FS-15; which I absolutly love.
Buy a dark tinted visor and it works beautifully

I noticed the fogging too...that was my main concern.

i love my exo-400 which is similar to the 700. I almost went with the HJC with the internal sunshade but i rode with it since my friend had it and i hated it solely for the internal visor. The tint is so light is useless to me. Plus they dont have replacement internal shields. If i get an internal shield, i dont want to have to buy a dark outer shield.

I was thinking the 400 too, but for 20 bucks more, I get the figure get the fiberglass/kevlar shell over the poly. That's about the only difference.

I didn't think about the lack of a replacement internal visor. It did seem like it was a bit lighter than what I like, and if that's the case, coupled with the fogging, it's probably something I wouldn't use.

Thanks guys, I'll probably get the EXO-700.

And is my $50 dollar budget glove choice a good one with the Cortech HDX's, or is there something in that price range that's better?

:rockon:

FZ6Ray

Reaction score
www.beyondaudiosystems.com
I've had the EXO-700 for 3 years now. I am new to the world of motorcycles too. My FZ6 is my first bike. I really like the EXO-700. I think it's very comfortable. I like that I can pop out the liner to wash it, and I can change out my faceshield quickly. I've worn an HJC helmet a few times. Not sure what model it was, but I didn't like it at all. As far as your $50 budges for gloves. I spent $50 on the Joe Rocket Highside gloves. They are comfortable and good for cool and warm weather.

tweak89

Reaction score
Visit site
Exo 700 for me. Great helmet. In fact, I was in the Iron Pony in Columbus this past weekend and saw that they have them on sale for $89.00. Edit..... Actually they have some on sale for $79 on the website Get Your Motorcycle Accessories , Motorcycle Helmets , and Motorcross GEAR at The Iron Pony!

Picked up and EXO-700 (Matte finish Crackhead) for $139.99 shipped (free shipping on orders over $100) from them thanks to your tip!!!

Too bad none of the $79 helmets were in my size or color preference. But hey, $70 off is good enough for me!!:rockon:

In regards to the thread topic, I've had my EXO-400 for 3 years and it has been great! Their truly fog-free visors are awesome. I've had an HJC, and the best I can say is that it is functional. Not horrible, just a decent basic helmet.

Last edited:

Zack

Reaction score
Visit site
Get O'Neal Fastrack Element instead! You'll get very nice helmet with fully integrated Bluetooth. I used it and it's great and sounds great. Listened my iPhone all the way. You can also get phone calls, GPS turn by turn announcements, talk helmet to helmet and more...

We will be selling that helmet soon ... waiting for stock.

Zack