help pleaaase ! an 09 FZ6 or a 09 kawasaki er -6n

thecondor

Reaction score
Visit site
hello to all,

I am in the market for a bike and I narrowed my search to a couple of bikes, the 09 FZ6 or the kawasaki ER -6n. now I know that I am on an FZ6 forum and really not very many people will tell me to go with the Kawi but the reason I chose ths forum is because when I went to the dealer today, I was going for the kawi but when I sat on the FZ6 I found out that it was much more comfortable, not by much but it is better, it is also a better looking bike than the Kawi. when I read some about it I noticed some sites saying that the Kawi is much better choice when it comes to reliability and few other things.
I would really appreciate all of your opinions since you have owned the bike for a while and probably know more about it as far as maintenance, recalls, handling etc....
I am about to nake a decision here in a few days but I am really torn out. HELP !!!!!!

Thanks a lot in advance !

aziebell

Reaction score
Visit site
It terms of reliability, I wouldn't think you have much to worry about. A 2009 bike shouldn't have many issues at all. I have a 2006, and while I have only owned it for 1 year now, only mechanical issue was a broken clutch cable, which probably could have been prevented with better maintenance. Which bike do you like more? You will end up being happier on the bike you want, versus the bike someone else tells you may be a better bike.

FloppyRunner

Motorcycle Noooooooooooob
Reaction score
Visit site
I was actually really considering one of these as well. You SHOULD be able to get the ER-6N for cheaper IMO because it IS a cheaper bike. That said, I still thought it was very nice. Will it be your first bike? I'd bet the ER-6N would make a better first bike, but that comes from a guy whose first bike is a used FZ6...

Supposedly that 650 parallel twin is just bulletproof, which is nice. No, I probably don't like the looks as much as the FZ6 but I still think they're a very sexy bike. Will you be taking many long trips? I wonder if the lack of a windshield will get annoying? Have you considered the Versys, or even the Ninja 650R? I'm a fan of the Gladius too...OK I'm not helping at all...

Anyway, rambling aside, I think you will find that the FZ6 simply is a more upmarket bike, but you will likely pay more for it.

discgolfdude

Reaction score
Visit site
hello to all,

I am in the market for a bike and I narrowed my search to a couple of bikes, the 09 FZ6 or the kawasaki ER -6n. now I know that I am on an FZ6 forum and really not very many people will tell me to go with the Kawi but the reason I chose ths forum is because when I went to the dealer today, I was going for the kawi but when I sat on the FZ6 I found out that it was much more comfortable, not by much but it is better, it is also a better looking bike than the Kawi. when I read some about it I noticed some sites saying that the Kawi is much better choice when it comes to reliability and few other things.
I would really appreciate all of your opinions since you have owned the bike for a while and probably know more about it as far as maintenance, recalls, handling etc....
I am about to nake a decision here in a few days but I am really torn out. HELP !!!!!!

Thanks a lot in advance !
How long have you been riding? The Fz6 is an all around bike, and can be used for sport riding, touring, and racing. It is also a very durable bike, and you'll wont be disappointed if you decide to get the fz6. We here on this forum love our bikes, and you'll love yours if you get it!

thecondor

Reaction score
Visit site
I actually like the the look and comfort of the FZ6 much better, it is a little bigger than the ER -6n and not sure if I am wrong but it really looked like it was much better built than the kawasaki ! but then I migh be wrong, this is not my first bike though, my first bike was a honda shadow.
also I have looked at all the ones mentionned (versys, gladius, ninja 650), I just seem to fit in the FZ6 much better, to be honest I went earlier today to the dealer trying to bargain for the ER -6N that they had, so I really had my mind made up for that one until I sat on the FZ6 and I am back to zero !
really all that is keeping me from getting the yamaha is the reliability, how good of an engine, how does it feel on the highway (I do a lot of highway), but mostly mostly reliability.

Yamma~Tiger

Reaction score
Visit site
Somebody said the Kawi was better on reliability? seriously? Kawi? hahahahahahahahahaha :rof::rof::rof::rof::rof::rof::rof:

discgolfdude

Reaction score
Visit site
I actually like the the look and comfort of the FZ6 much better, it is a little bigger than the ER -6n and not sure if I am wrong but it really looked like it was much better built than the kawasaki ! but then I migh be wrong, this is not my first bike though, my first bike was a honda shadow.
also I have looked at all the ones mentionned (versys, gladius, ninja 650), I just seem to fit in the FZ6 much better, to be honest I went earlier today to the dealer trying to bargain for the ER -6N that they had, so I really had my mind made up for that one until I sat on the FZ6 and I am back to zero !
really all that is keeping me from getting the yamaha is the reliability, how good of an engine, how does it feel on the highway (I do a lot of highway), but mostly mostly reliability.
Take it out for a test spin, and you'll end up buying it!:BLAA:

aziebell

Reaction score
Visit site
I find it pretty easy to do long highway stretches on the FZ6. Once I get sore, nothing a quick 5 minute stop to stretch can't fix. Will the dealer let you test ride each one? That would prove very useful.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I find it hard to believe the Kawi Er6N is more reliable than the FZ6. I really question where that data is come from! :rolleyes:
The inline twin will pull a little harder from a dead stop but the FZ6 will leave it in the dust after that. I think the Kawi is a nice bike but for your dollar, performance and reliability, FZ6

That's not because I own one but because I've owned one!

TSi Fly

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi, I had the same choice when I was buying and rode them back to back. The er 6 pulled really well, was light to handle and stopped ok, The first thing that hit me was the vibration from the engine which gets through to you. This is a well known issue and the model was modified at some point around 2009/10 to reduce vibration.
Next out was the FZ6 (with a squared off tyre) within a 1/4 mile I had decided the yam was for me, it was smooth with no vibes, easy to control at slow speed and there was that rush of power higher up the rev range that was there if you needed it. Handling was good despite the knackered tyre and the extra weight of the bike added to its stability.
The finish of the two bikes of the same age and similar mileages was not a competition, the Yamaha won hands down.
The saleswoman knew what I was going to buy when I got back, a new FZ6 and not a new er6.
She owned an FZ6 as well.
Fuel consumption is the one area where the Kawasaki will trounce the Yamaha and with fuel prices going sky high this could be a consideration.
My advice is ride both .

OZXJR

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Somebody said the Kawi was better on reliability? seriously? Kawi? hahahahahahahahahaha :rof::rof::rof::rof::rof::rof::rof:

Nothing wrong with Kawaka's ,I have had 3 various model kwakas and only one gave me minor probs.

To the OP,I have had 2 FZ6's and have been very happy with both,I have ridden an ER6 for quite a few K's and I thought it was a great bike.

You make up your own mind mate , we are a little biased here.Post the same thing on an ER forum and you will get the opposite :thumbup:

REDHAWK22

aka willie
Reaction score
Visit site
I was in the same boat as you are a month ago, finally. I've been waitng, looking, shopping for the right fit for me, bike I meant. I was at first torn between The 2009-2010 Yamaha FZ6R and the 2009-2010 Kawasaki 650R. The 650r was the better fit for me, but the FZ6R was a much better ride, smooth being a 4cyl, I guess.
Came Feb.22, 2010 I ended up paying for a brand new left over 2009 Yamaha FZ6. I never considered this bike before bec. it was much more than the 2 bikes that I originally wanted, but the price was good enough for me and my wallet. My reason for going for the FZ6 was like what everyone, at least here, that the FZ6 is a much better bike than the 2 (FZ6R/650R), for my main purpose, which is just touring. It's got more power on tap, about the same weight?
But, it's still up to you, all are very good and capable bikes, I think.

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
the kawa is more beginner friendly, as it is lower powered. A lot of the training schools in the UK use them.

By the same regards, the FZ6 is a higher powered, and probably slightly higher spec machine, and you won't grow out of it as quick. But it needs to be respected (like any bike)

Is the Fz6 faired? The er-6n is naked, and should be a lot cheaper. Insurance will also be cheaper on the er6

champion221elite

Reaction score
Visit site
Can't say much specifically about the ER-6N (basically a naked Ninja 650 R) except that it's a less expensive bike than the FZ6.

Regarding the ER-6N being more reliable than the FZ6, I'd seriously doubt that statement. My 2008 FZ6 has been 100% trouble free over 8,500 miles since I bought it new August, 2008.

The ER-6N will be cheaper to buy, fuel and insure when compared to the FZ6. I also considered the ER-6N before buying my FZ6, and honestly feel the FZ6 is the better bike.

Last edited:

thecondor

Reaction score
Visit site
unfortunately we can't test drive the bikes here in town, I was thinking about going to a dealer out of state and test drive both. also what kind of mileage do you get on it ? this is considering that you don't push the throttle too high :).

XTRAWLD

Reaction score
Visit site
At least sit on them! :) You will notice right away what will fit you. I'm a 5'7" girl and the ER-6N was very upright and very high for me, it was nearly too high also for my 6'1" hubby. Keep in mind there is no windscreen also on the ER.

The FZ6 felt more comfortable to me and with a better feel of centre of gravity. Just my opinion.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
If I was buying in this market segment again I think I'd select the FZ6 again. The Kawasaki is one goofy looking bike, and the specs are lacking to me, 41mm fork vs. 43mm, 160mm rear tire vs. 180mm, water pump type motor, and it's just goofy looking to me. Odd colors, the shock glued onto the side of the bike, etc. Not my cup of tea.

I think the Kawi is more similar to the FZ6R than the FZ6. I'm not a fan of that bike either, for what that's worth.

Another bike you may want to look at is the Suzuki GSX650F, it specs out similar to the Kawi and the FZ6R.

Good luck with your decision.

Hoshiko

Hoshiko
Reaction score
Visit site
I like the built in, front turn signals better on the Kawi. That is about it, everything else looks better on the FZ6.
I don't know about realiability, If I was you, I'll go for the one that looks better and also the one that feels better, you are going to spend several hours seating there, try to be as confortable as possible.

Take a look at the Suzuki SV650 ABS I don't like the pipes but it has ABS and goes for arround the same price of the Kawi.

Try to ride both, that will make your mind up right away.

Whatever you end up getting, ride safe and if you decide on the best bike, come back to the best forum.