Help with setting sag, please?

Kenward

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys. Recently my left fork seal started leaking oil so while I'm in there fixing that I figured I'd upgrade the springs and oil while I'm in there. I ordered some 1.0kg RaceTech springs and just got them the other day along with the spacer, washers, 15w fork oil, new seals, and retainer clips.

I've done a lot of research on how to measure and everything like that, but my problem is that I won't have the tools to do it myself, so I have to take the spacer somewhere to have it cut. I was just wondering if anyone could give me an idea of what length I should cut them so I won't have to run back and forth between a shop?

Rider weight: 200-205lbs
With gear: 210-215lbs
With gear+bag: 220lbs

1.0kg Racetech springs
15w fork oil

I don't really have time for track days, but I'm more of a sporty rider so anywhere beween 25 and 30mm of sag should suffice.

Once again, not being lazy, I just won't be able to repeatedly tear down the forks to make adjustments. So if anyone has a similar setup or the knowledge to recommend a number I'd really appreciate the help.

Thanks guys!

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
Kenward,

I wouldn't worry too much about it, to be honest. Use the spacers as is, and see what you think. I personally went with .95Kg springs, and had the shop check the sag before I rode it out of the shop. They didn't change anything (spacer wise), and it was a H-U-G-E improvement.

If you need to cut them down to reduce preload, it isn't difficult. A hacksaw will do just fine.

But ride it first with the OEM spacers, and see what you think.

Kenward

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, thanks, RJ. I'll definitely try it out. I just hope I don't need to tear it apart again. haha, Did you use a heavier weight oil in yours too?

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
Taking the spacers out is pie simple. You just have to loosen the top triple clamp, and unscrew the cap. Spacers are then right there. Shouldn't require any change in oil level.

My fork was serviced by an outfit in Oregon, called GP Suspension. I had the valving on the cup altered, and went to 10w Ohlins oil up front. Instead of doing the disc emulators, GP told me they had better success with what they did to my fork, and I was really happy with the result.

Getting the front right is a big deal.... coming from the factory it's not set up for a 200 lb rider. More like a 125 lb person.

Kenward

Reaction score
Visit site
Awesome, good to know. I guess I'll have to check and see how much hacksaws are running these days. haha

Awesome, I went with a 15wt oil, so I'm really hoping it firms it up a lot. The front end is so squirrely, and has a ton of dive during breaking. Not my idea of a confidence inspiring ride. haha, Hopefully, I won't have to mess with the front end again.