High Beam Inficator Flickers When Revved

D

Deleted member 22346

Hey everyone, as the title says my high beam indicator has started flickering whenever I give my fz6 throttle. It's been sitting a while since I've been at college 2 hours away and this is the first time I've noticed this happen. Anyone know what could potentially cause this? I'd like to try and fix this soon as I'm looking at selling it soon. Thanks for all the help.

Last edited by a moderator:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
When you say flicker do you mean as if it's going completely off and then on again or do you mean it flickers as if it has a quick varied brightness? If it's a bad bright beam switch because of oxidized or dirty contacts you might try rocking the switch on and off many times to see if it clears the contacts and then stops the flickering. If it's a mild fast flickering brightness you may be seeing the the regulator rectifier hitting it's target voltage and clamping on and off. See if your other lights are also flicking and if they are then it's the regular. If it is the regulator, as long as you're getting near 14 volts at 2500-3000 rpm it's probably fine. If it's only the high beam indicator it may be the high beam rocker switch.

D

Deleted member 22346

Sorry I should have been more specific. The high beams are completely off when this is happening. And when it flickers the indicator doesn't turn on completely then back off, I guess "quick varied brightness" would be the best way to describe it.

ozgurakman

Özgür Akman
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry I should have been more specific. The high beams are completely off when this is happening. And when it flickers the indicator doesn't turn on completely then back off, I guess "quick varied brightness" would be the best way to describe it.

would you post a video?

If I were you, I'll check the r/r output on idle and when revving. It should between 13-14V.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Do you have a dual headlight mod done to this bike? If you do the lowbeam filament inside the H4 lamp may be touching the high beam filament intermittently. It take very little current to light the hi beam indicator because it is an LED. This could also be very low current leakage through the hi beam switch. It could pass enough current to light the LED indicator but not light the hi beam lamp.

D

Deleted member 22346

I can't take a video because the gas tank is off to get repaired. I actually do have dual headlights on the bike so that sounds like the most probable cause. One of the high beams hasn't been working so I'll check that out. Thanks for the help everyone.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I can't take a video because the gas tank is off to get repaired. I actually do have dual headlights on the bike so that sounds like the most probable cause. One of the high beams hasn't been working so I'll check that out. Thanks for the help everyone.

Unplug the headlamp that has the hi and low beam. There is only one hi beam lamp on one side. The other side is only a low beam. After you unplug the lamp that has the hi and low beam, does it stop the hi beam indicator from flickering?

D

Deleted member 22346

Unplug the headlamp that has the hi and low beam. There is only one hi beam lamp on one side. The other side is only a low beam. After you unplug the lamp that has the hi and low beam, does it stop the hi beam indicator from flickering?

I have dominator dual headlights on so both lamps are high beam and low beam. I've replaced the bulbs and that seems to have done the trick. Thanks everyone for the help!

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I have dominator dual headlights on so both lamps are high beam and low beam. I've replaced the bulbs and that seems to have done the trick. Thanks everyone for the help!
Good job! As I suspected there was a leakage in one or both the lamps. This can happen because of a shorted filament or because overheating of the lamp has vaporized material that formed a low current bridge that allow voltage to pass form the lo beam to the high beam filament terminal inside the H4 lamp. Be sure that your low beam filaments turn off when the high beams are activated to make sure your H4 lamps are not overheating. If your low beam filament does not turn off, that is what is probably causing the leakage due to filament vaporization. If your low beams are not turning off when the high beam is on you can fix it so it operates properly.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 22346

Thanks for all that great info! I had no idea there was so much to dual filament bulbs. The headlights came on the bike when I purchased it, and the wiring for the whole front end was messed up so I did my best to fix it. The lights wouldn't even turn on at all. I'll have to double check everything to make sure the low beams turn off.

Last edited by a moderator:

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Funny that I checked the forum today....
Mine is doing the same exact thing. I'll try the earlier suggestions, but new lamps are on the short list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk