High Performance FZ-R6 (not FZ6R)

Is an "R" version of the FZ6 worth it? (FZ-R6)

• Yes, I'd like to see an FZ-R6 from Yamaha

Votes: 74 74.0%
  • No, I don't think it would be worth pursuing

Votes: 26 26.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
I would love to see an FZ6 with adjustable suspension and ABS. I can change the suspension parts out myself, but doing a junkyard ABS swap seems pretty unlikely.

Exactly, all of these changes CAN be done aftermarket, but at the cost of your warranty. I want it from the factory so that I don't have to worry about it.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
most of those changes can be done without losing your warranty. It is awfully hard to void that thing. they just don;t cover what you change, which is fine with me, if i change it i think i would be better suited to fix it if something happened to it.

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
most of those changes can be done without losing your warranty. It is awfully hard to void that thing. they just don;t cover what you change, which is fine with me, if i change it i think i would be better suited to fix it if something happened to it.

I agree with this for the most part, but some dealerships can be real jerks about aftermarket parts. For instance, I can do exhaust and intake on my Acura, but if I go any deeper than that I void the warranty entirely (according to my service manager). Granted they have to prove that my modification caused the product failure in the first place.:spank:

Don't get me wrong, I love modifying my bike and I love working on it.

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
and that there my friend is the loophole that you can take to court if they deny you warranty service.

I don't think most people know this though, which is the unfortunate thing. Dealerships will just deny you warranty service and unless you are willing to fight them on it, they will totally take advantage of you. Now, this doesn't stop me because i'm a stubborn arse hole.

Back on topic... Anyone else have any opinions about this "tuned" FZ6 idea?

pjstud1v

n00b
Reaction score
Visit site
The key to a "tuned" FZ6 from the factory is getting the stuff like an adjustable suspension done and included in the price for financing. I'll bet Yamaha can't really offer the equivalent of a factory PCIII and exhaust system for emissions and noise laws.

Maybe throw in some HID lights and LED taillights for fun. Those can't be too bad to do at the factory.

Last edited:
W

wrightme43

I would like better forks, and abs, and a freaking stupid loud obnoxious rude horn.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'll bet Yamaha can't really offer the equivalent of a factory PCIII and exhaust system for emissions and noise laws.

No but they could make a performance kit available as an option, like they do with the MT01.

Yes, coming from the factory it would be expensive, but it would help cater for a significant portion of their market who want more refinement, and can afford to do so.

The FZ6 is built as a budget bike....and it is awesome value for what you get, just wish there was an upscale version for people who buy the bike cause it suits their needs, and are not buying it solely for the affordablity relative to other bikes.

:D

REZN8R

Enlarged Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I agree with some other folks on here. I don't really care much about seeing a stripped R6 for 2 grand more then the FZ6. I'd rather see the FZ6 in it's own separate market niche, but add adjustable suspension and ABS (to compete with the SV650 ABS).

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
I agree with some other folks on here. I don't really care much about seeing a stripped R6 for 2 grand more then the FZ6. I'd rather see the FZ6 in it's own separate market niche, but add adjustable suspension and ABS (to compete with the SV650 ABS).

Exactly my thoughts. Base it on the FZ6, not the R6.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The key to a \"tuned\" FZ6 from the factory is getting the stuff like an adjustable suspension done and included in the price for financing. I'll bet Yamaha can't really offer the equivalent of a factory PCIII and exhaust system for emissions and noise laws.

Maybe throw in some HID lights and LED taillights for fun. Those can't be too bad to do at the factory.

I disagree, I know they can meet emission and get greater performance out of the bike. When we did my custom tune my CO and other emissions are even lower now than stock and I saw a very nice performance bump, about 7 to 8 hp on the top and much more mid-range. Now the tricky part is building a "genaric" motor for a given market: US, Euro, AUS, etc. to accomidate various fuels, etc. However Yamaha is currently doing that so I don't see it being a big problem.

Also someone mentioned R6 brakes, for the '07 and up we do have R6 brakes. All we need is an adjustable suspension and a bit more performance, and I would like to see ABS and a full fairing option. I agree, better lights from the factory would great. Oh and a real HORN too.

pjstud1v

n00b
Reaction score
Visit site
I disagree, I know they can meet emission and get greater performance out of the bike. When we did my custom tune my CO and other emissions are even lower now than stock and I saw a very nice performance bump, about 7 to 8 hp on the top and much more mid-range. Now the tricky part is building a \"genaric\" motor for a given market: US, Euro, AUS, etc. to accomidate various fuels, etc. However Yamaha is currently doing that so I don't see it being a big problem.

Also someone mentioned R6 brakes, for the '07 and up we do have R6 brakes. All we need is an adjustable suspension and a bit more performance, and I would like to see ABS and a full fairing option. I agree, better lights from the factory would great. Oh and a real HORN too.

Perhaps the issue is long term durability, not emissions, or they are afraid the bike will cannibalize other Yamaha sales if they upgrade the FZ6 too much. I know how often these little mods people do on their own are just not possible from the factory for one reason or another. Manufacturing any vehicle is a hugely complicated ordeal these days. If it isn't an emissions issue, then it's probably liability, warranty, or some other such PITA.

Out of curiosity, did you do anything with the intake or exhaust on the bike when you did the custom tune?

Khyren

Reaction score
Visit site
I had alreaddy come up with something of this sort, but I was going to keep the stock FZ look and just use 04-05 R6 cams, intake, sensors, injection, tb's, header, and main wiring harness to get all the R6 power and such since a REALLY good portion of the parts in our motors are the same. But that was a whole other thread on another board. All that should net a higher redline and take it from 97 hp to ~116 hp. Granted I'd prolly have to go +2 in the back to get the R6's gearing right.

Khyren

:edit Oh yeah, and of course there will be the suspension upgrades from the yama-parts bin. And the newer better calipers.

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
I had alreaddy come up with something of this sort, but I was going to keep the stock FZ look and just use 04-05 R6 cams, intake, sensors, injection, tb's, header, and main wiring harness to get all the R6 power and such since a REALLY good portion of the parts in our motors are the same. But that was a whole other thread on another board. All that should net a higher redline and take it from 97 hp to ~116 hp. Granted I'd prolly have to go +2 in the back to get the R6's gearing right.

Khyren

:edit Oh yeah, and of course there will be the suspension upgrades from the yama-parts bin. And the newer better calipers.

Nice, that sounds like a handful, but a ton of fun. Let us know how it turns out.

kalel3914

Reaction score
www.myspace.com
I love the idea of a full naked super sport bike, but I also have seen the B-king in person, and it scares the $#!+ out of me, and I didn't ride it. Most of the power of a Hyabusa in more usable rpm's and it's cruiser big!!!

Definitely would consider it though. Naked is my favorite color!

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Perhaps the issue is long term durability, not emissions, or they are afraid the bike will cannibalize other Yamaha sales if they upgrade the FZ6 too much. I know how often these little mods people do on their own are just not possible from the factory for one reason or another. Manufacturing any vehicle is a hugely complicated ordeal these days. If it isn't an emissions issue, then it's probably liability, warranty, or some other such PITA.

Out of curiosity, did you do anything with the intake or exhaust on the bike when you did the custom tune?

Only an Akrapovic exhuast system. Air box mods sound nice but I've yet to see any before and after dyno sheets for that mod.