HJC Raptor

hk_fz6_05

Reaction score
Visit site
Well I'm finally parting ways with my HJC Raptor helmet and thought I'd review before the end.

I bought it as my first helmet and have been effectively riding with it for about a year-year and a half. I bought because it was relatively cheap and it fit.
I have a pretty standard head shape - have fit most helmets I've tried with no issues.

Design:
The helmet fit my head shape but the chin wind flap was mounted so high up I just had to do without it.

The chinstrap had a snap-lock but had to be re-tightened almost every time I wore it.

The sunvisor is controlled from the top of the helmet which makes flipping it down quite interesting at motorway speeds (one hand off handlebars, flipping around in max turbulence on top of head!)

No reflective panels.

The ventilation is ok and works (no ****, without a chin pad)

Quality:

The helmet is actually a modular helmet but within a few months the mechanism started sticking and finally stuck entirely. Took it to the dealers who kind of insinuated it was my fault (which it wasn't): So I started just using it as a non-modular helmet.

The visor would stick in the not quite down position and take a lot of jiggling to get right.

The helmet is pretty heavy and feels unwieldy.

Noise in this thing is nuts! Also buffeting is rather bad (mind you this has gotten some better after new windscreen but still). But the noise!!

In conclusion: You get what you pay for - I got a cheapish helmet that put me on the bike for my first year without squashing my head and well whaddayawant? 2/5.

as soon as the weather here clears enough for me to go riding I'll be posting a preliminary review of my new spanking Schuberth S2 :rockon:

aid-90

Reaction score
Visit site
i had a cheaper hjc cyclone for my first helmet while i had my first bike (Honda cbf 125cc). the helmet was fine for this bike as the highest speed was 60mph at a struggle. i had the helmet for 2 years and served me well, vents stopped working after a year or so :eek:

when i upgraded to the fz6 i knew i needed a new helmet as the visor was lifting up at 80-90mph on the motorway and was buffeting in the wind really badly :BLAA:

i upgraded to a shark race r and dont know myself :thumbup: