Holy crap I scared myself

Skybow388

Reaction score
Visit site
So on the Main Street in my town it intersects with a highway. There is as stop light. In the middle of the intersection for some reason the road is raised but when it goes up it's very smooth. To start off my experience I knew this hump was here. So the light is green and I never slowed down. HUGE mistake. I hit this hump and got air. I landed and got super bad wobbles. Near s*** myself. Still don't know why the heck I did this but I came out safe and my lesson is learned. I just started riding to so it scared me. I guess I will learn from this one.

2006 blue fz6

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
I haven't got air yet but I did get the wobbles (tank slapper effect) once when my back tire broke loose on a corner. It's scary when your balls end up in your throat you are clenched up so tight! :Flash::eek:

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
I haven't got air yet but I did get the wobbles (tank slapper effect) once when my back tire broke loose on a corner. It's scary when your balls end up in your throat you are clenched up so tight! :Flash::eek:

I had that balls in the throat feeling when I almost rear-ended a guy. Wasn't from the clenching, more from the tank shoving them inward and upward.

But back to the subject at hand:
Air (1 wheel or both) is a cool feeling, especially when you don't expect it! Just stay loose and remember the bike wants to stay upright and will do whatever it takes to stay up, if that means getting rid of you, well... The less the bike knows you're there, the better.

Last edited:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You said you knew the hump was there. Did you do anything at all besides just maintaining possibly too much speed?

Skybow388

Reaction score
Visit site
No usually like I slow down and kind of glide over it this time I guess I wasn't paying attention. Had my earphones in ( very dangerous) and just fly right over it came up hit hard then wobbled

2006 blue fz6

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Did you take MSF BRC? What is the technique for going over a bump (same as crossing an obstacle)?

kenh

Ride Like Your Invisible!
Premium Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
But back to the subject at hand:
Air (1 wheel or both) is a cool feeling, especially when you don't expect it! Just stay loose and remember the bike wants to stay upright and will do whatever it takes to stay up, if that means getting rid of you, well... The less the bike knows you're there, the better.

Now it all makes sense - I have always gotten this strange feeling when I peer into the headlights while performing my T-CLOCS during warmup that the
lights are looking at me. :eek:
Anyway, from what I remember from the BRC is that we stood up off the seat to pass over the object (2 x 4 stud in my case). This position allows the rider more control when confronting an object in the road, however additional controlled throttle input is sometimes needed to insure that the front tire does not rise in height above the rear tire. just sayin-

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Same as if you were to hit an object, stand up on the pegs, lift butt off seat, keep knees bent to absorb the shock.

My riding buddy ran over a 150 lb dead deer at 60 mph and kept it up because he knew how to ride over an obstacle. If you don't do it right you are going airborne! :BLAA:

dschult2

Reaction score
Visit site
In the middle of the intersection for some reason the road is raised but when it goes up it's very smooth. To start off my experience I knew this hump was here.

Railroad crossings are another one to watch out for. More often than not their a raised hump as well.:eek:

Monica A

Reaction score
Visit site
Hang on and gun it? :BLAA:

We were riding a goat road yesterday. Hit a few hidden bumps in the road and I had a similar experience. I used your advice. I hung on and gunned it. Worked great!!! Darn logging trucks screw up perfectly good tarmac for riding.

polydoc

Reaction score
Visit site
I hit a queen size box spring going 75 and my front tire managed to roll up it and flipped the box spring up and over me... First time I got mad wobbles but thought I was done for for sure. It probably looked pretty badass from behind me but I didn't think it was all that badass at the time

pookamatic

Reaction score
Visit site
In the northeast corridor, the roads tend to be awful. My quads are almost always taught and ready to stand. On the commute, I know all the bumps and how much I need to stand. One nice side-effect to the safety aspect is comfort.

I always thought the "obstacle" exercise was a bit of a misnomer. Yes, this is the proper way to get over objects, but it's also the proper way to get over bumps with control.

OP: Go back to this bump and ride it a few times slowly building speed with each pass while standing. Then plant your butt and ride over it at the slower speed and see the difference.