How does the stock tailight cover come off?

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I tried removing my stock tailight/brakelight cover tongiht, and I couldn't figure out how it comes off.

I managed to pull the bulb assembly off, but that's not what I want to do. I need the red lens cover off.

Any suggestions?

victorb

Reaction score
Visit site
You need to take off the passengers grab bars and the black matte plastic part that go around your pipes. If I remember correctly there is 4 or 6 bolts and 2 screws to take the whole thing off.. pull it off slowly from the tail and you can then get to the lens.

jtarkany

Ronin
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.vcoe.org
I haven't had mine off, but based on the diagram from the parts catalog, it looks as though it is all one unit instead of an actual lens that you can remove:

partimage.gifx

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the link. I tried the search and only came up with one unrelated thread.

Looks like it's going to be a pain in the ass, like others have mentioned.

Good grief.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the link. I tried the search and only came up with one unrelated thread.

Good grief.

it doesnt take that long, just take off your seat, the side pods, and then undo the 4 bolts that hold it on, plus, unplug the wiring loom, which resides behind the left side pod.

takes about 5 minutes maximum, putting back on is also very quick.

:thumbup:

CHEMIKER

Running Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Not sure if this will help you Kenny, but here is a post with pictures of removal of the grab handles. I can't remember for sure, but it seems like you'll have to do this to get the tail light assembly out.

http://www.600riders.com/forum/how-tos/4193-grab-handle.html

I didn't try to get it apart, but it seems like the whole tail light assembly is one piece, and the lens is glued on.

I have more high resolution pictures that I can post if you'd like.

Good luck! What are you trying to do by the way?

OZXJR

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I got my lense out without removing the grab rails when I changed to a CA smoked one,tilt and twist was the only way I could get it ,won't be doing it again in a hurry !

Spideyrex

Reaction score
Visit site
You do have to take the grab rails out to remove the assembly. The lens is not glued but it is a snap fit with a gasket. Be careful and it will come out fine. I did this when I added a clear/led lens. For what it's worth, I switched back to the stock red as the clear gets washed out in the sun.

yamaha rider87

Reaction score
Visit site

Good grief.

it is, just remember once you get the rear cowling off that the light is held on by little holes in the lens cover that lock over tabs on the rear cowling, and forcing one too hard could easily cause it to snap. Totally random note, I'm coming down to vegas july 10-12th if you wanna hit up a ride