How often do you use your battery tender?

How often do you use your tender?

• Every night

Votes: 31 15.4%
  • Only when I know it will sit for more than a few days/week

Votes: 31 15.4%
  • Every now and then

Votes: 23 11.4%
  • Winter only

Votes: 50 24.9%
  • Don't have one

Votes: 36 17.9%
  • Don't use one (not needed)

Votes: 30 14.9%

• Total voters

REO Scorpio

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Cant vote; Tapatalk really needs to add that feature.

I use mine any time I have the bike in the garage and won't be rising for a few days (Optimate 3). The pigtail harness is on the battery and is connected to my 12v socket I installed. When I pull in, I simply unplug from the socket and plug into the tender.

As its only an '09, I can't really comment on length. But, the bike has an intermittent riding schedule so I use it for the extra security.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

7UPyours

Reaction score
Visit site
I ride almost year round...usually it sits for up to a month in January or Feb but even then I run it once a week just up and down my road to keep it lubed and battery juiced!

It's rare for the high temp to not hit 50 almost every day all winter here in VA. I will ride as long as it's over 47F.

This is awesome news, my wife is from Virginia Beach and we are planning to relocate there sometime in the next few years, she tells me winters are cold there but I guess to some 60 degrees is cold, where in VA are you?

codeblue

winter soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I had my Battery Tender since '08 and I keep my bike attached to it every night all year long. Kept my battery at peak performance all this time and I have an '07 FZ6 with original battery.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I own two and never used either one.

Sent from my LG-P925 using Tapatalk 2

AngelFZ

Reaction score
Visit site
I can not vote (using Tapatalk).

I don't own one, so I never use it.

I ride my bike pretty much year round.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pookamatic

Reaction score
Visit site
Lately I've been using mine just about every night to charge the battery to make up for the losses I've been getting while using the grip heaters.

TheDrewFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Bought a battery tender to replace the dying battery when I bought the bike. Bike didn't start actually when I went to look at it before buying :spank: But it kept the old thing alive until i got my replacement. Have the adapter installed on the battery and fastened to the handle bars, so I park in the garage after i get home and plug her up!

chuckfz6ryder

Reaction score
Visit site
I have one, cable is attached to the battery, but have never used it. But I did wire up a 12v outlet that I plug in so I can use my GPS on the bike. 07 with original battery, never needed to bump start yet. I don't really put the bike away for the winter. I think the coldest I've ridden to work in was 13F.

deeptekkie

Reaction score
Visit site
Got one but never used it yet. Battery is over three years old and still wringing it. (I keep a light bulb burning underneath it on really cold nights as this has always worked great for me)

Sycotic

Reaction score
Visit site
I charged it up when I first got it last month. Since then I have bought a tender and still need to hook the connectors up to the bike. Just been lazy and would rather ride than to take it apart :-/

payneib

Reaction score
Visit site
Only on a Sunday night in winter, after its been sat all weekend and the mornings are cold. But during the week when its in use daily, and in the summer when its warm, I don't bother.

I'm thinking of wiring in an extra socket in my garage though, so I can leave it on all the time. The bikes already got the adapters hard wired in, so it'd only be a five minute job.

Is it worth plugging in all the time? Does it prolong battery life at all?

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Still using a battery tender nightly, bike is on the original battery which is nearly nine years old. I'm happy I brought one on sale for €25.00.

Nelly

D

Dave.TX

Year round rider here, not an issue. Would be nice to have one just in case though.

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Geez, I have not used mine in 2 years. I ride enough during the winter to keep the battery in good shape. I suppose if we got a good snow I would plug it in.

yamihoe

Professional test dummy
Reaction score
Visit site
Since I ride every day im pretty sure that keeps it charged better than any old battery tender. :thumbup:

lazamus69

Heavy User
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Had mine plugged in everytime its parked since purchase . Original battery...starts strong everytime to this day

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
Original battery, get's battery tended about a month before riding season, starts strong every time. Not convinced the battery tender is really necessary... but it doesn't hurt.

marke14

running on empty
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm impressed with Nelly's nine-year-old battery! Lazamus69 as well ...

My original just died a couple of months back. That put my battery at just under six years old, assuming that the battery was brand-new when I bought the bike (it wasn't, surely). So mine was probably about seven years old or so.

For reference and statistical posterity: I never, ever used my Battery Tender and I went many, many weeks where I would ride once on the weekend, maybe two weeks at a time between. This is in SoCal, so the weather is nice (on the battery specifically).