How often do you use your battery tender?

How often do you use your tender?

• Every night

Votes: 31 15.4%
  • Only when I know it will sit for more than a few days/week

Votes: 31 15.4%
  • Every now and then

Votes: 23 11.4%
  • Winter only

Votes: 50 24.9%
  • Don't have one

Votes: 36 17.9%
  • Don't use one (not needed)

Votes: 30 14.9%

• Total voters

pookamatic

Reaction score
Visit site
I've only had mine for a month. Used it every night for a couple weeks. I've now switched to only when it's going to sit for a few days or more.

Fat Broke

Reaction score
Visit site
It won't hurt to run every night if you're using a float charger ( tender)... Won't over charge. I tend to plug them in once a month until they go to green, usually only a couple hours or less

Last edited:

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
only used mine 3 times to charge the battery, twice when my stator broke, once when i flooded the engine and thought it was a battery problem

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
I ride almost year round...usually it sits for up to a month in January or Feb but even then I run it once a week just up and down my road to keep it lubed and battery juiced!

It's rare for the high temp to not hit 50 almost every day all winter here in VA. I will ride as long as it's over 47F.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Can you quickly change the poll and split the last group apart?
* Don't use one (not needed)
* Don't have one

I have one but don't use it as it not needed on a healthy, charged battery even though it sat for 4 months.

Susan

That Romance Author Lady
Reaction score
Visit site
I've plugged mine in once. My battery still had a full charge after sitting (in the house) from November to May.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
During the winter when I ride with heated gear I try to plug it in every night, but unless I plan on parking it for a couple days I won't use it at all now.

F

FZ6 Naked!

I don't use mine, but that's only because my detached garage has no power :(

If I could, I'd probably plug in each weekend as I commute daily to work with it, even in winter.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Don't know how to change a poll.

Interesting to see people with them that don't really use them, though.

I parked the bike for snow/bad weather and with a Fluke 87 DMM measured the battery voltage after it sat for a day or two. It had 12.99Volts in November. In February when I went to crank it up, it was 12.91V. I never charged it or did anything to it. A tender is not needed unless the battery is discharged or the plates sulfated. IMO most are better off left alone.

zackattack784

Reaction score
Visit site
I'd say almost every night. If the bike is hot I'll shut it off with the kill switch and let the fan run to help cool things down. Then I'll plug in the tender and leave it on overnight. Basically if it's hot enough to run the fan the tender goes on.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Don't know how to change a poll.

Interesting to see people with them that don't really use them, though.

Can you quickly change the poll and split the last group apart?
* Don't use one (not needed)
* Don't have one

PM ant_mb and Motogiro and ask them to change it.

texcollect

Crotchety Old Fart
Reaction score
Visit site
To me it's habit. When I pull into the garage I reach over my head and pull down the tender cable and plug it into the Powerlet socket inside the fairing.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I never ever use one. I try to ride the bike in the Winter at least once every 2 weeks. Never had an issue.

CanadianFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I never use them, they are not needed... a manufacture ploy... In the winter I just top up the battery (left in the bike by the way) ever few weeks or so... Never had a battery last less than 4 years...

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I only used mine 2-3 times once when I left the parking lights on:( and the battery was flat as a tack.a month or so ago when my sd on needed to try and bring his battery back to life and once this week, it was so damn cold, the bike was really slow to crank over.... Only took a few hours to bring it back to full charge. I figure as I only commute 10km each way to work most wweks and only get a decent ride every other month, that having it is good insurance, but not necessary for every day use.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

Wh0M3

Reaction score
Visit site
I've used it in the winter months or when I know I'm going to park it for a long time. This past winter I really didn't use one on my FZ6 because every month I was riding it. So I can understand if your able to ride it year round then you wouldn't really need one.

The first winter I had my bike I didn't use one and it started up after winter but then started having issues and I ended up needing to change the battery. The following year I used one on and off but not continual and ended up changing the battery again. Now I use them if it's going to be sitting for a month or more and haven't had to change a battery.