How to trigger stoplight sensors

WolfwoodFz6

Reaction score
Visit site
So, when i took the MSF course, i was told that you could get something to add to your bike that would essentially increase your metal footprint so that traffic light sensors could see you, and trigger a light change. I think he said it was a earth metal or magnet or something to that effect.

Does anyone know what hes talking about, and where i could get one? My 2nd tip out on my bike and i encountered this issue and i waited until the 2nd light cycle for the light to change, and that was only because a car pulled up behind me and triggered it.

Thanks

beatle

Reaction score
Visit site
Not sure about that, but I know in Virginia you're allowed to run red lights because bikes don't always trigger the sensors. Maybe Indiana has a similar law?

Baci

Reaction score
Visit site
I know this wont help you a ton but for other members it might. Utah just passed a law that lets bikers run the red left turn arrows after 60 or 90 seconds.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for bringing this up. Standing alone in an intersection in the hot sun, waiting for a car to come and trigger the signal is not fun!!

I hate the safety implication of being a sitting duck through multiple cycles of the lights. Sorry, no help on the actual problem. However -

I have two intersections where traffic is flying by at 50+ mph. Even though the bike will trigger the light here, I drive through the straights with the light and take the next left w/out a light as I usually don't have to wait.
Bottom line - Know your town and REDUCE RISK whenever possible!

Risk Mitigation.....

WolfwoodFz6

Reaction score
Visit site
I know this wont help you a ton but for other members it might. Utah just passed a law that lets bikers run the red left turn arrows after 60 or 90 seconds.

I think our law (Indiana) says that if it does not trigger with in three cycles, you are allowed to run it. I would prefer not to do that because in the situation i was in, it was a left at a 4 lane highway intersection.

oaks

~~~~~
Reaction score
Visit site
Hope the magnets help you out.

Around here, most inductive loop sensors in the road have been replaced by overhead video detection systems. They seem to be more motorcycle friendly.

Last edited:

WolfwoodFz6

Reaction score
Visit site
Hope the magnets help you out.

Around here, most inductive loop sensors in the road have been replaced by overhead video detection systems. They seem to be more motorcycle friendly.

I thought those were just put in place to snap pics of speeders/light runners plates to mail tickets to? o_O

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Also some sensors you see may not be cameras but instead sensors for preemptive traffic light control for emergency service vehicles. :)

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Not sure about that, but I know in Virginia you're allowed to run red lights because bikes don't always trigger the sensors. Maybe Indiana has a similar law?

They just changed two laws here in utard for the better; the first, if your bike doesn't trip a left-turn sensor, and it's safe, and you've waited 90 seconds, you can go.
Or was it 9 seconds? That's what I'm telling the PO if I ever get pulled over (going to work at 0600 along a busy road, this law change has been great).
The second: because I live against a mountain, many of the higher-speed roads have T-intersections rather than full cross-intersections, and they have continuous green arrows on the "straight" portion of the highway and stoplights on the "crossed" section (going the other way, hope that makes sense). Well, now they're installing flashing-yellow left turns signals if you have to cross the oncoming traffic, rather than waiting for a green arrow, even if you're in your cage! I love this, and hope not too many risk-takers get themselves killed by rushing it.

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site

In most states the acceptable procedure is 1 full light cycle or 60 sec. whichever comes first. generally cops wont give you a hard time, especially if there's no traffic.

Bill

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Also some sensors you see may not be cameras but instead sensors for preemptive traffic light control for emergency service vehicles. :)

That is correct. Opticom systems are used throughout the world. Depending on your local laws and jurisdictions you can use an opticom on your bike. However I wouldn't for the fact they are bulky, expensive, butt ugly L.E.D. or infrared lights that flash a certain pattern or patterns to make the whole thing work. Not worth it IMHO.

tejkowskit

Gold Member
Reaction score
Visit site
In IL you can run a red light if it doesn't change after 2 minutes.

I've heard that putting your kickstand down can help trigger too. Not sure how true it. Gotta keep a close eye on your mirror thought in case a car comes up behind you so you can lift the kickstand and put er in gear.