I bought a BMW F800GS !

At least it is only a little headlight that is out :)

I have got used to mine, bought a digital speedo but never got round to fitting it. The only downer for me is I need reading glasses and at night I have to judge where the speedo is pointing as my eyes can't pick up the numbers on a quick glance.

Do you find 3rd gear gets used a lot, I have to remind myself to change up when cruising were as with the FZ6 I was always looking for more gears.

Yeah I use 3rd a lot.
1st as well.
The engine has a larger displacement, I guess that's why.

How do you feel about the front brake reservoir? It looks a little exposed in your pic. I'd be maybe a bit nervous in case of going down off road, trashing it and losing the brakes! Also, the indicators are on each hand - that look cool, does it take getting used to having to use the right hand though?

The brake reservoir is on some vibration dampening thingy.
It may be exposed. Anything can happen in a crash. I haven't heard of it getting messed up on all the forums I've read.

Yeah, the indicators are weird. I have to get used to it. Why they have the signal controls that way is beyond me.
They love buttons in Germany.

Last edited:
Yeah, the indicators are weird. I have to get used to it. Why they have the signal controls that way is beyond me.
They love buttons in Germany.

Especially when the F800R has standard switchgear... most times I have gone for the horn I have put the left indicator on !

Have toyed with the idea of getting the F800R switchgear to see if I could get it to work.

The can bus is clever, hazard lights done by pressing both indicator switches, and they then stay on when ignition turned off (the FZ6 has to be in park). Parking lights are turned on by the left indicator switch within a couple of seconds of turning ignition off.

Power socket remains powered for a short period after turning off ignition, so sat nav etc remains powered while you fill up.

Don't be tempted to fit an LED sidelight bulb, I thought it would be a good idea, but it melted as the headlight is so close, so back to a standard bulb.

I went for the optional LED indicators, think they look real good very pleased with them.

I've looked at the 800's (mostly the GS) for a while now. They're really liked by all that buy them, and are one of those "perfect bikes" that does everything very well..

I've even kicked around selling my Wing (seldom ride it) and my KLR (love it) and going the 800GS route.. Still bouncing that one around in the back of my head.

Looking forward to more of your experience with the bike!!!

The only issue with that bike is that it's not a REAL BMW.. Real BMW's have 2 cylinders that oppose each other and are air cooled, Bing carbs, and shaft drive. Since there's already a 800cc REAL BMW in my garage, I'd have a hard time putting a fake one in there, too.. (yes, I'm kidding, somewhat..);)

Welcome to BMW ownership. I've been a BMW rider since 1987 and it's a good bunch of folks.

Nice Bike!! I allmost bought the same model before I got the super deal on my FZ6!! Good choice!! :rockon: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Sweet bike. It came from the factory with the heated grips and other extras? thats sweet.

No, it came with center stand, heated grips, ABS brakes and computer (fancy readouts).

I added the crash bars and hand guards you see in the pic.
BMW has their own line of accessories, so I could have bought the hand guards and crash bars from the dealer at a discount, but I did some research and went for some more heavy duty items.

I'm adding even more things to the bike, based on my research and experiences on the road. It never ends. :D

Buying a BMW is like joining a country club. :D

A little..

When I bought my first BMW, I was WAY too young to be a BMW owner. I bought a slightly used K75C back in 1987, but only had it for a year. I traded up to a 1985 K100RS and then managed to put 50K miles on that bike before discovering BMW Airhead Twins. Since then, I don't want to go into the amount of BMW's I've owned, but at one time there were 4 of them in the garage. :BLAA:

I'm a Lifetime member of BMWMOA (BMW Motorcycle Owners of America). It's a great organization with a fantastic magazine that's loaded with BMW info. I became a life member when it was "cheap" at $275. They don't even offer the life membership anymore, but I think it's $39 or so for membership.

The National Rallies are a good time and held in different parts of the country every year. I usually hang out with the ADVrider group at Camp Beers.. Headaches are common, as is laughter. :thumbup:

The other BMW group is BMWRA (BMW Riders Association), and they're more into techical stuff and BMW spy photos.. They're a bid dry for my taste, though.

If you're interested, I can mail you a bunch of old RA and MOA mags.

Not sure if anyone ever told you the real meaning of the letters BMW??

It's Bring My Wallet.:thumbup:

Err... It's Big Money Wasted :BLAA:

I've been riding with a Beemer nut for years. I even own some great touring boots with the propeller on it.

A little..

When I bought my first BMW, I was WAY too young to be a BMW owner. I bought a slightly used K75C back in 1987, but only had it for a year. I traded up to a 1985 K100RS and then managed to put 50K miles on that bike before discovering BMW Airhead Twins. Since then, I don't want to go into the amount of BMW's I've owned, but at one time there were 4 of them in the garage. :BLAA:

I'm a Lifetime member of BMWMOA (BMW Motorcycle Owners of America). It's a great organization with a fantastic magazine that's loaded with BMW info. I became a life member when it was "cheap" at $275. They don't even offer the life membership anymore, but I think it's $39 or so for membership.

The National Rallies are a good time and held in different parts of the country every year. I usually hang out with the ADVrider group at Camp Beers.. Headaches are common, as is laughter. :thumbup:

The other BMW group is BMWRA (BMW Riders Association), and they're more into techical stuff and BMW spy photos.. They're a bid dry for my taste, though.

If you're interested, I can mail you a bunch of old RA and MOA mags.

The BMW sales manager at the dealer I bought the bike from signed me up as a member of the local bmw club. He went ahead and waved the yearly fee. That was nice. It's a regional club for the metro DC area. At first I was reluctant because I didn't really care, but I attended a meeting and I liked it. It was at the dealership service garage and people were allowed to bring their bikes in to get help with modding and maintenance. So you had a few guys flushing brake fluid and another group helping someone with wiring up extra lights.

I'll take a look at some rallies, too. I think these guys ride out to fancy chateaus. I'd rather being riding out to the middle of nowhere.....:D

I'll pass on the mag offer. Thanks though.:thumbup:

I'm curious to hear your judgement on the 800's seat. I've been mulling a "touring" bike for a couple years now, I'm not comfortable in the FZ for more than a couple hours. The 800's seat doesn't look much different from the FZ, but the 1200's is MUCH bigger (no smart comments, please! :Flip:) :D

I'm curious to hear your judgement on the 800's seat. I've been mulling a "touring" bike for a couple years now, I'm not comfortable in the FZ for more than a couple hours. The 800's seat doesn't look much different from the FZ, but the 1200's is MUCH bigger (no smart comments, please! :Flip:) :D

the seat is more comfy than the fz6.
i think because it is flatter.
i doubt i'd go on a long trip w/o a comfort seat or a touring windscreen.
i haven't done any all-day rides yet, but i am almost certain.
not a big surprise.

overall i'd say the bike is more suited to touring than the fz6, mostly because of the engine. wrt airflow and ergonomics they are similar, which is not a bad thing.
this is all subjective. also, it depends on your comfort level. mine is kinda low.

"touring" is also subjective. if you're touring on 100% street, there are better bikes out there.

think of the f800gs as a very large and refined dirtbike. :D

Last edited:
Well, I'm blaming you..
As mentioned, I'd been looking at the 800GS for a while.. Today I stopped by one of my favorite BMW dealers and was just "looking".. They have a new 2010 and a 2011 Anniversary model with bags as a demo.

Since it was 22 degrees out, I wasn't thinking demo ride, and since my snowmobile gear wasn't with me, I didn't ride it..

Here's the issue..

I discussed the fact that my 2008 Goldwing wasn't ridden much last year. After Memorial Day, I only rode it a couple times all summer.. It's because it's a great fairing and I get hot behind it, since I'm not the normal t-shirt, pants, and no helmet Wing rider.. Instead I've got a full face lid and a full Aerostich Darien jacket and pants on..

Well, the sneaky bugger shot my what he'd give me for my Wing towards a 2011 1200GS Adventure with bags.. :) It was a great deal, and I'm currently in "I'll mull it over" mode..

Chances are, if I go with the 1200GS Adventure, I'll sell my FZ6 outright, too.. That'll just leave me with my KLR and the old BMW R80. (can't give up my classic airhead)...

Anyway, I blame you OMG, for making me stop.. You're an evil person!!!

The BMW sales manager at the dealer I bought the bike from signed me up as a member of the local bmw club.:

Did you get the bike at Bob's? I've been to Bob's a few times while working in the area. I remember when they were just a used parts dealer.

I'll take a look at some rallies, too. I think these guys ride out to fancy chateaus. I'd rather being riding out to the middle of nowhere.....

The rallies aren't like they used to be.. It used to be a bunch of people camping, drinking beer around campfires, and getting out and riding around. My local BMW rallies have become like Goldwing rallies, held at a hotel or resort. Not my idea of a rally..

In fact, I don't go to any of the local BMW rallies anymore. I go to Guzzi Rallies.. Just like old times, it's food and beer included in the rally fee, and camping.

I know I've shown this photo before, but this is from the Minnesota Guzzi Rally late last summer. It's my kind of gathering.. Campfire, few beers, some BSing and then crawling into a comfy tent till morning. :thumbup:

SDC11312.jpg

Well, I'm blaming you..
As mentioned, I'd been looking at the 800GS for a while.. Today I stopped by one of my favorite BMW dealers and was just "looking".. They have a new 2010 and a 2011 Anniversary model with bags as a demo.

Since it was 22 degrees out, I wasn't thinking demo ride, and since my snowmobile gear wasn't with me, I didn't ride it..

Here's the issue..

I discussed the fact that my 2008 Goldwing wasn't ridden much last year. After Memorial Day, I only rode it a couple times all summer.. It's because it's a great fairing and I get hot behind it, since I'm not the normal t-shirt, pants, and no helmet Wing rider.. Instead I've got a full face lid and a full Aerostich Darien jacket and pants on..

Well, the sneaky bugger shot my what he'd give me for my Wing towards a 2011 1200GS Adventure with bags.. :) It was a great deal, and I'm currently in "I'll mull it over" mode..

Chances are, if I go with the 1200GS Adventure, I'll sell my FZ6 outright, too.. That'll just leave me with my KLR and the old BMW R80. (can't give up my classic airhead)...

Anyway, I blame you OMG, for making me stop.. You're an evil person!!!

very cool!
remember there are a few other choices in the large adventure bike category, like the multistrada and the super tenere.

i'd love to see pics of your r80.
aren't some of the pinstripes hand painted from the factory?

Did you get the bike at Bob's? I've been to Bob's a few times while working in the area. I remember when they were just a used parts dealer.

i bought the bike from battley cycles.
i went to bob's bmw.
nice folks, but the price was way too high.
i'm sure battley will be fine.

Back