I bought a BMW F800GS !

OMG_WTF, did you consider the new triumph ADV bike that is just coming out? I think its an 800 and it looks just like the F800GS.

I did. The Triumph does have some improvements over the F800GS: more HP, better electrical output for accessories and a larger fuel tank. I went with the BMW though. I dunno, maybe because it's more "proven" and there's a better dealer network around my area, the USA, and the rest of the world. I did not make my decision based on logic alone. I just rode the F800GS, liked it, and then I bought it. :BLAA:

There's also the 800cc Honda Crossrunner. I think it's ugly, but it's a Honda, so I know it's well-engineered. Although the exhaust is so low it would not be good to tip the bike over. I'd be interested in seeing if Yamaha puts out a middleweight in the "adventure" category. The Super Tenere has been very successful, from what I've seen (lots of pre-orders).

I'm in the BMW camp for now. :D

Last edited:
ah cool. but still a tiger then?

ive heard the tiger's still more geared to the road. obviously you cant have best of both worlds when it comes to road/dirt but tiger's pretty much 90 road 10 dirt methinks

lone

check this out

Triumph Tiger 800 - webBikeWorld

Triumph Tiger 800
triumph-tiger-800.jpg

Triumph Tiger 800 XC
triumph-tiger-800-xc-right-front.jpg

Last edited:
ah ok. ive seen that one.

yeah it's still pretty much street though that one is. the 800GS is much more rounded with respect to dirt/road functionality.

Cool video I saw not long ago with your new bike.
Congrats

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btRvVLA0KzM]YouTube - Chris "Teach" Mcneil aboard the Twisted Throttle equipped BMW F800GS[/ame]

Big fan of the BMW 800's, great Rotax sourced motor, sweet handlers and great build quality by all accounts i have read.

nice one! Congrats! :thumbup:

HELLO!! (0_o)

Picture3_%20005.jpg

Here's my new bike. I already added a bunch of crash protection, based on a lot of research I did online.

Picture3_%20003.jpg

Picture3_%20001.jpg

There's no rear hugger. I think the entire back section is one.
Picture3_%20013.jpg

Lots of buttons. The turn signals shut off automatically, if you're not stopped, which is kinda neat.
Picture3_%20007.jpg

I can't flatfoot this beast, even with the factory low seat :(.
It's not too bad. I'll manage.....
Picture3_%20016_c.jpg

The Adventure-Spec crash bars have been tested on a 'round the world ride. The hand guards are very stout. They were a real pain to get on. It's worth it though....
Picture3_%20015.jpg

This is probably as pristine as my bike is going to get!
Picture3_%20012.jpg

I've been riding around a bit. It's fun.:D
Thanks for looking! Goodbye!

Looks beautiful! :D Have fun blasting around on it!

EDIT: I like the gauge cluster!

I find the speedo a pain on mine, it is too closely numbered and not easy to read especially compared to the FZ6. In certain light you get a lovely reflection of yourself instead of the speed ! But I still love my GS much more than I ever loved the FZ6

I find the speedo a pain on mine, it is too closely numbered and not easy to read especially compared to the FZ6. In certain light you get a lovely reflection of yourself instead of the speed ! But I still love my GS much more than I ever loved the FZ6

yeah i dont like the speedo too. it's just something i have to get used to. i'm sure it will be fine, in time.
i used to search for the shifter with my toe and look at the the gear indicator a lot.
i'm doing that less now.

i still have a headlight out! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO0000ooooooooooooooo!!

Very cool! Love the look. I used to hate the weird headlight on the BMW but, I'm actually starting to like it now.

The colour looks fantastic too.

I can't flat foot on the FZ. Doesn't bother me :)

Now for your ride reports and pics of your adventures :rockon:

yeah i dont like the speedo too. it's just something i have to get used to. i'm sure it will be fine, in time.
i used to search for the shifter with my toe and look at the the gear indicator a lot.
i'm doing that less now.

i still have a headlight out! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO0000ooooooooooooooo!!

At least it is only a little headlight that is out :)

I have got used to mine, bought a digital speedo but never got round to fitting it. The only downer for me is I need reading glasses and at night I have to judge where the speedo is pointing as my eyes can't pick up the numbers on a quick glance.

Do you find 3rd gear gets used a lot, I have to remind myself to change up when cruising were as with the FZ6 I was always looking for more gears.

I love your new bike man! At last BMW have an answer to KTM. The 1200GS is just too big and heavy. The 990 Adventure (although similar in weight) has a better design for offroad. But this new 800 fits the bill nicely! That stunt video was a little crazy! :eek:

How do you feel about the front brake reservoir? It looks a little exposed in your pic. I'd be maybe a bit nervous in case of going down off road, trashing it and losing the brakes! Also, the indicators are on each hand - that look cool, does it take getting used to having to use the right hand though?

Congrats on a great bike! Look forward to some stories and pics from your trips!

Back