I bought a BMW F800GS !

I'm not interested in the Duc, and the Yamaha has my interest, but only somewhat.
My other issue is that I know a lot of people with GS's.. Those that are riding the 1200 absolutely love the bike, and many of the guys I know who're currently riding them are Iron Butt Rally finishers (the full 11 day, 11,000 mile rally, not just a 1000 mile day in 24 hours)

Anyway, here's my R80. The only thing that's different than this picture is that it's now got a GPS mount that you'd see on the right hand side of the handlebar.

85R80.jpg

And just to poke fun at myself, here's a pic of my on my 1992 R100GS about 3 weeks after I bought it. I was at a BMW rally in IL at the time.

I wish I was that weight now..

R100GS.jpg

i bought the bike from battley cycles.
i went to bob's bmw.
nice folks, but the price was way too high.
i'm sure battley will be fine.

I'm glad to hear you didn't get it from Bob's.

Put it this way, my friend was often seen with his infant daughter wearing a Bob's BMW shirt as a diaper.

Oh, and yeah, BMW used to hand pinstripe the tanks at the factory. 2 lines. 1 thick, 1 thin.

Last edited:
I'm glad to hear you didn't get it from Bob's.

Put it this way, my friend was often seen with his infant daughter wearing a Bob's BMW shirt as a diaper.

Oh, and yeah, BMW used to hand pinstripe the tanks at the factory. 2 lines. 1 thick, 1 thin.

haha...i've heard good and bad things about all the dc area bmw dealerships, so i'm not surprised about that story.
my experience has always been very positive, though.

nice looking bikes!

here's my bike in action. i did a creek crossing with my bike on saturday:
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o287/_badguy_/bike%20stuff/DSCN4966.mp4

i need to work on my technique a bit....

here's my bike in action. i did a creek crossing with my bike on saturday:
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o287/_badguy_/bike%20stuff/DSCN4966.mp4

i need to work on my technique a bit....

You stayed dry, that's most important:thumbup:

Yeah, you'd be amazed at the stories about Capitol Cycle I've heard over the years. I've called and emailed for parts quotes, never to hear from them. I don't have a local dealership. Luckily, I do my own services so I just mail order parts from whoever has the best price.

Picture3_%20016_c.jpg

what kind of suit is that?

i think circles might be exaggerating. it's still heavy as hell. even a 5% weight difference shouldn't make more than a 5% performance improvement even if the suspension and all is better geared to dirt. people see the KTM badge and assume it's going to be ass-stompingly great in the dirt.....but it still weighs as much as a small van. keep in mind ive only ridden the 1200GS, but unless you move to the smaller KTM's which are actually proper dirt machines, I don't think any circles will made made by the KTM machine. It'll be a more manageable ride in the dirt perhaps, but circles.....me no think so. you'd still be plowing fields with that tractor haha.

(just checked the weights.....they're both dead even at 199kg dry weight in 2010)

Circles my friend, circles.

KTM VS GS, fun factor - ADVrider

attachment.php

It's a Teiz Lombard v2.
There is a BIG thread on advrider about it.
Teiz Motorsports One Piece Riding Suits - Official Thread - Page 154 - ADVrider
Start reading it backwards.....

I took this suit with me to Alaska.
Couple of things:
The suit has good abrasion resistance. It doesn't have very good armor.
It is not waterproof. You need an inner or outer liner which is not built specifically for the suit. I used an outer pvc rain liner. It sucked to wear on long rides because it was heavy and clammy.
Having a one piece isn't good when you're touring. It's better to just be able to take your jacket off and go in to a restaurant, instead of walking around with a space suit on.
The water resistant zippers broke down after some dirt got in them. Probably on the Alcan Hwy.

I upgraded my gear to motoport stretch kevlar.
Still, the Teiz is good value for money.

45100_438816457566_726367566_4873876_1395439_n.jpg

Last edited:
How's the BMW treating you so far?

I've been riding the FZ6 a lot and I love it. I was driving near you're place, spotted something yellow with GS headlights and thought it was you for a second.. lol

Picture3_%20016_c.jpg

Circles my friend, circles.

KTM VS GS, fun factor - ADVrider

attachment.php

Bahaha

I don't care!

thoomp-thoomp-thoomp-thoomp-thoomp-thoomp-thoomp-thoomp-thoomp-thoomp-thoomp-thoomp-thoomp-thoomp-thoomp-thoomp-thoomp-thoomp-thoomp-thoomp-thoomp-thoomp-thoomp-thoomp-thoomp-thoomp

thoomp-thoomp-thoomp-thoomp-thoomp-thoomp-thoomp-thoomp-thoomp-thoomp-thoomp-thoomp-thoomp-thoomp-thoomp-thoomp-thoomp-thoomp-thoomp-thoomp-thoomp-thoomp-thoomp-thoomp-thoomp-thoomp-thoomp-thoomp-thoomp-thoomp-thoomp-thoomp-thoomp-thoomp-thoomp-thoomp-thoomp-thoomp-thoomp-thoomp-thoomp-thoomp-thoomp-thoomp-thoomp-thoomp-thoomp-thoomp

Well, I decided I liked the money from the sale of my 2008 Goldwing in my savings account, so I passed on the new or even new used GS or GSA purchase.. BUT...

I had a 15' fishing boat that hadn't seen water for 4 years.. A local Craigslist posting for the sale of a 1981 BMW R65 or trade for a fishing boat caught my eye.. Yep.. Deal is done!!

So, now I've got the KLR (set up for ADV touring)

Brookville.jpg

And the original R80 as seen at the top of this page, and my FZ6 and now this R65 that'll soon have it's own set of bags...

toys.jpg

The R65 has been a fun project, but since I really don't NEED it, I'm kicking around selling it.. It never ends..

I'm a bad boy.. I'm weak.. I'm...
I'm the owner of a 2005 BMW 1200GS.. All I have to do is fly to Spokane, and ride it 1800 miles back home.. Found it on ADVrider and bought it this week.. Low, low miles, excellent price, and all kinds of extras.. (some will remain, some won't)

The new baby..

14.jpg

The problem is that something will have to go.. Something with value.. Something blue.. Something that has Givi luggage, Rizoma bars, heated grips, etc.. Yeah, I'm selling the FZ6.. :(

I can't keep them all..

nice!
congrats.
this is a yamaha forum, you know!!

Thanks guys, and yeah, I'll be putting it on the for sale section.. I can't do it for a couple weeks because I'll be gone for work for a couple weeks, and won't be able to correctly answer questions or be able to show the bike if somone's interested..

Thanks guys, and yeah, I'll be putting it on the for sale section.. I can't do it for a couple weeks because I'll be gone for work for a couple weeks, and won't be able to correctly answer questions or be able to show the bike if somone's interested..

Or not..
I've got a guy interested in my 30 year old BMW R65, which means I can keep my FZ6!!!:thumbup:

Just needed one out of the garage for space..

My only complaint is that the insurance on the FZ6 is 25% higher than the insurance on the BMW GS.. The BMW is worth 3 times more than the FZ, and is twice the engine size, yet the BMW is cheaper.:confused:

I tried to complain to my insurance agent, but since she's also my Mother, she just told me to shut up and pay the damned bill... :BLAA:

I guess that proves the influence that demographics play in our insurance premiums. Why aren't those squids buying gixxers? They're throwing off the mean!

Back