I got to work on a Ducati 750Monster yesterday...

Scott64a

Reaction score
Visit site
... and I was impressed with a couple things: (it's a 2000,)
1. It has a tank stand, like under the hood of a car! Pretty fancy.

2. Hydraulic clutch, I like 'em.

3. Ducati paved the way for the naked bikes, and we can thank them, even though they can be tempermental, like many "products" of Italy, (myself included, though I'm only half Italian,)

Well, the Cpt. at the fire station came in and brought yet another of his barn-stored bikes in, along with his 72 Yamaha trials bike.
He said it wouldn't start, and lifted the tank up to look around and charge the battery. He couldn't find anything wrong with it.

He went away, so I looked around a bit and found a cracked hose where it meets the vacuum fuel pump. I pulled it off, cut the end of it off, and reclamped it. He came back and I handed him the end I removed, and he said," I doubt that was the problem.", so I asked him to try and start it.

lol, it fired up and ran a little rough and smoky for a couple minutes, but the L-twin warmed up, and the cruddy fuel ran through and it ran/sounded great.

Nice to know I'm not an idiot!

It's a neat little bike, but dollar for dollar, the FZ6 is way better, and probably faster, to boot!

Did you get to take it for a spin???

... and I was impressed with a couple things: (it's a 2000,)
1. It has a tank stand, like under the hood of a car! Pretty fancy.

2. Hydraulic clutch, I like 'em.

3. Ducati paved the way for the naked bikes, and we can thank them, even though they can be tempermental, like many "products" of Italy, (myself included, though I'm only half Italian,)

Well, the Cpt. at the fire station came in and brought yet another of his barn-stored bikes in, along with his 72 Yamaha trials bike.
He said it wouldn't start, and lifted the tank up to look around and charge the battery. He couldn't find anything wrong with it.

He went away, so I looked around a bit and found a cracked hose where it meets the vacuum fuel pump. I pulled it off, cut the end of it off, and reclamped it. He came back and I handed him the end I removed, and he said," I doubt that was the problem.", so I asked him to try and start it.

lol, it fired up and ran a little rough and smoky for a couple minutes, but the L-twin warmed up, and the cruddy fuel ran through and it ran/sounded great.

Nice to know I'm not an idiot!

It's a neat little bike, but dollar for dollar, the FZ6 is way better, and probably faster, to boot!

I didn't get to ride it yet, we got a bunch of calls for structure fies from the lightning that afternoon. It still sits in the bay though, and if it's there next shift, I'll ask to take it for a spin.
Never ridden an L-twin before, but a friend had a KZ750 V-twin years ago that was weaker than the I-4 hs brother had in the same displacement.
I'm not a huge fan of twins, but I'd ride this little Italian number just to see.

i was a stones throw away from buying a Monster 620 for my first "Real" bike (I learned for a year on my Ninja 250), but being a Newb to maintenance i didn't want to go for the Italian thing... Maybe sometime in the future...

11_800-large.jpg

My last bike was a Monster 900. It was a blast like no other. Had a real hard time keeping the front tire on the pavement when I got into it, but that was kind of the point. The maintenence was pricy and it didn't make a great commuter bike out here in the country. The dry clutch took some getting used to - the clatter always made me think something was wrong/loose. It was a blast in town though. I sold it when I bought a house. I miss the Duc, but I think I'd go with a 848 instead given the opportunity...

Back