i hate chicago winters!!!

wayne 3

Reaction score
Visit site
so basically once it drops below 30 degrees i put my bike away and shut off the insurance (because it kills me). so that happened some time in november and my bike has been sitting there ever since. lucky for me i have some snowmobiles in michigan for winter fun. anyway. today in chicago it is 64 degreees!!!!! it hasnt been this warm here at this time in over a hundred years!!! at work all day i see bikes driving down the road having fun. and i think " boy i cant wait to get home and take my bike out for a spin" but then it hits me. no insurance.... it wouldnt be worth turning it back on for a little bit because i know next week it will be snowing again!. bah when will this end!! and i keep fighting with my self NOT to take it out without insurance. im a safe rider and have never put a street bike down. but it would be just my luck to do it now. or can i get away with it??? ahhhh no be smart and patient!! man this sucks!!!!!. sorry for ranting friends, i envy you in the warmer states

dako81

FZ Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey, I feel you. I'm from St. Joe MI and am in Kalamazoo, a college town with a bunch of douches with bikes, and they've all got them out today. Walking to class I can hear all of them, and mine is back home packed away till spring really comes.

Reaction score
Visit site
I lived in Chicago (Glendale Heights) for three years. The first winter w/wind chill, was -80. I had the Chinese food guy pick up my movie from the video store for me and gave him an extra tip! I also found snow in the apartment because the wife never closed the window right during the summer!

You should take it out...around the neighborhood a little:thumbup:

Roadstergal

Reaction score
Visit site
That's what dualsports are for...

56.jpg

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I know a guy that rides year round here in NH, he puts dualsport tires on his V-strom and throws on his heated gear and rides all year, snow and all.

Jman

Metamorphic
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry about your dilemma. It was so nice in Richmond, VA area over this past weekend (71!). Took a hundred mile spin on the FZ6 on Sunday. I just pay the year round insurance. The winters here have been very mild. Who is your insurance company? I have found Progressive to be the most reasonable. I have been with Allstate for 20 years and they couldn't even come close to the motorcycle rate I got. Anyway, hope you can get out there and have some fun!!!

Smittyboy

Reaction score
Visit site
I gotta ask the guys with sleds... Which are faster? I've seen sleds at the strip and they haul A$$!!! So... Which are faster...

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I gotta ask the guys with sleds... Which are faster? I've seen sleds at the strip and they haul A$$!!! So... Which are faster...

Which sleds? or sleds vs quads?

Sleds vs quads = sleds hands down, some of my friends have sleds that can go over 100 mph

Sleds vs other sleds... yamaha's are the fastest :rockon: but they follow the bigger engine, faster sled model.

wayne 3

Reaction score
Visit site

well it all depends. my sled in the pick is a 2004 yamaha RX1. it has the 998cc engine in it (the same motor as the R1 sport bike). its one of the faster sleds out there and top end ive had it about 125mph. but that always changes due to snow conditions. if your talking drag times thats a different story. it all changes depending on if your on dirt,snow/ice, or a pavement drag strip. but they can beet bikes at the strip..... Fast Yamaha s 1/4 Mile 0-60 Drag Racing - DragTimes.com

so basically long story short sleds tend to be quicker than bikes due to the fact that they have way more surface area from the track hitting the ground and with a centrifugal clutch (no shifting always in power band) they can haul massive amounts of a$$

jpintozzi

Reaction score
Visit site
Was out in the western Chicago suburbs tonight. What a beautiful night for a ride! Groundhog says only six more months until Chicago spring.

KensFz6

Wreck in progress
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I got to take mine out today and Saturday and it was awesome.

I thought about canceling my insurance back in December but decided not to just in case we had some mild days and it payed off :rockon:

The battery even survived that week of below 0 temps we had last month.

Too bad the weather is supposed to drop back into the 'too cold' category again but I got my fix til spring comes for real. :thumbup:

Last edited: