I strayed from my bike today....

fz6blue

Reaction score
Visit site
...and I liked it! :ban:

I just wanted to say that I tried out the Triumph Sprint 1050 ST today but also the FZ1. I've been thinking about switching from my FZ6 for a while - the bike is great but my usage has changed and now that I'm doing longer 2up tours I want something a bit more comfy as standard and more torque for overtaking when heavily loaded 2up.

The FZ1 had to be tried as I've been drooling over copperdawg images since I first got my FZ6, its such a cool looking machine, butch and chiseled. I think it looks really neat.. I wasn't so impressed with the reality though. I had just taken out the Sprint ST which was smooth, fast, torquey and comfortable.. a completely different style of riding but none the less a very capable machine with bags of fun! The FZ1 came across as a hooligan, uncomfortable seat, vibey handlebars, the brakes weren't stunning and the suspension didn't suck up anywhere near the bumps that the ST glided over. Once the boss hopped on she was sliding all over the place and it wasn't 20 mins before she was giving me the signal for 'my arse is sore'. On the flip side.. it was a smile a minute and such a blast that I think anyone wanting to upgrade to one will not be disappointed.. unless you've tried the ST 1050 first...

Anyway, I've put the deposit down for the ST and think it'll be a week before I switch but just wanted to say a big thanks for the help that I've received from this forum over the past year! Its been a really big help on a very steep learning curve.

Cheers! :iconbeer:

Safe riding and I'll probably continue to lurk around here every once in awhile!

i really like the sprint ST too and if i was a rich man it would be in my top 3 picks to add to the garage.

unless i was really rich then itd be a K1300S instead :p

Very nice! Another convert to the Triumph family! Welcome brother. The ST is a great bike for touring 2up. Tons of luggage space, very comfortable, and gobs of torque to pull with it loaded up. Post some pics when you get her.

Glad you guys like my choice! I'll certainly post a few pics of her when I bring it home. I have heard bad things about the headlights on the ST. How have you found them rsw81? I guess its just a case of putting HID's in if they're not up to snuff!

Well the Sprint ST didn't work out in the end.. I went to see the bike in person and it was a 2009 with 12K miles and more wobbly bits than a fat womans posterior. The windmirrors flapped around at 45+mph.. the fairing was vibey and noisy under acceleration and the paintwork was badly hazed, chipped and scuffed (even after the Triumph dealer had promised me on the phone that the bike was in showroom condition) Previous owner had used so much chainwax that the engine looked like it had sprung a leak and after closer inspection random bolts and trim were missing on various parts of the bike. Yet the dealer still said 'It's just fantastic isn't it - you're going to be really happy with your purchase! I sold it to the last owner from new and he's a stickler for keeping bikes in good condition and it just shows!' - I think he must of being ironic because my 2004 FZ6 with 24K miles is in much better condition and atleast the mirrors don't flap around! Anyway - needless to say I got my deposit back and have lost alot of respect for the Triumph dealership and am left wandering if the quality of a 1 year old bike should be in question too.

Anyway - not sure where I'm going to look next but for now my current stead is looking a heck of lot better and I haven't even had to open my wallet! One thing I do want to sort out on mine though is the clutch, its stiff as an old dogs tail at the moment so I think I need to lube it up!

Just thought I'd update this a little - I've just bought myself an FZ1 today, its a much better machine than the last one I rode and the difference was just unbelieveable. Picking it up next saturday so will post a pic of it then :)

Just thought I'd update this a little - I've just bought myself an FZ1 today, its a much better machine than the last one I rode and the difference was just unbelieveable. Picking it up next saturday so will post a pic of it then :)

I recently bought an FZ1 too.......and I can tell you blue, you will NOT be disappointed with it! Can't wait to see pics of her & will you gonna be joining us over on the FZ1 side of the forum?

Nice choice, glad you chose the FZ1. When I test rode one I found it to be the most comfortable bike I have ever rode. It seemed to feel just ride. Would love to get one :)

i was looking at the sprint st also, but i'm waiting for the the sprint gt to come out in 2011, supose to have a bigger seat and bigger saddlebags, but good job with the fz1 i want one but don't wanna have to spend another $1000 to get hard bags for it

I'm really excited now - don't want to wait a week to pick it up! :D I have joined the FZ1 forum as Fz1uk so I'll see you there lytehouse ;)

Josh - I took a Sprint GT out for a ride and its a great bike - I couldn't afford new or it'd have been on my wishlist. You'll be very happy with it I'm sure as they've answered alot of issues that the Sprint ST had. Plus the panniers on the GT can take a full face helmet. The only thing I didn't like was the sheer size of the bike.. looked too bulky on the rear for me - but maybe in years to come I wouldn't be concerned with that!

Thanks guys

Back