idea for dual high beams

tcmalker

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
another tcmalker's crazy idea:

Of course I haven't done it yet but the idea came to me and I will try it this weekend unless someone can tell me before that it won't work.

So the goal is to have the H4 bulbs in both sides, right? You cannot simply just put the H4 bulb into the H7 socket because it won't fit. Looking at the schematics for FZ6 headlights here:

Illinois Yamaha Suzuki Motorcycle ATV Dealer - Champion Cycle Center - Kawasaki Scooter Utility-vehicle Watercraft

you can see what I am proposing. Simply remove part #3 & #5 and buy #2 and put that in the former low beam side. Then you're going to have to tap the high beam wire...don't know if wire will handle the load.

So what do you guys think? A quick test of this is to just relocate the existing H4 bulb to the other side (after removal of H7 bulb (#3) & socket cord assembly (#5) and see if that works or if anything else is needed.

Not a bad idea at all. I was talking to BryanDH about it today. We went on a ride and he's got an FZ6. My Suzi is set up that way. Two H4's, both high and low. I think your good to go on current and you would probably just have to re-aim the newly configured H4. :rockon:

Not a bad idea at all. I was talking to BryanDH about it today. We went on a ride and he's got an FZ6. My Suzi is set up that way. Two H4's, both high and low. I think your good to go on current and you would probably just have to re-aim the newly configured H4. :rockon:

We'll see if it's really is that simple...haven't really look what's inside yet.

I tried this with an old H4 bulb i had lying around. After finally modding the H4 to roughly fit, i found that because the reflector is designed specially for the H7 bulb, using a H4 bulb in the H7 reflector caused an abnormal beam pattern and produced less light output on low beam than the H7.

For the amount of time i use my main beam (hardly ever) i refered back to the H7, H4 combo with both lights on for low beam and just purchased some whiter bulbs.

Last edited:
I tried this with an old H4 bulb i had lying around. After finally modding the H4 to roughly fit, i found that because the reflector is designed specially for the H7 bulb, using a H4 bulb in the H7 reflector caused an abnormal beam pattern and produced less light output on low beam than the H7.

For the amount of time i use my main beam (hardly ever) i refered back to the H7, H4 combo with both lights on for low beam and just purchased some whiter bulbs.

What kind of modding did you have to do to make the H4 fit?

TCMALKER >>>

JAYD12 probaly cut the metal socket of the H4 to H7-size like I did.

I have Dual H4 (dual high/low beam) and I agree that the light patern is a bit abnormal... but instead of going back to H4/H7 I bought a set of better bulbs (Phillips Extreme Racing) to do the trick for me.

I have the H4 high beam on the same wire, but I think I need to do something about that. When I press the Stebel Truck horn it steals 20-30% power from the bulbs... maybe it's the Stebel horn I need to do something about haha...

Before I did this H4 modding I phoned the local Yamaha dealer to ask if I could buy "part 1" (from your picture), seperate the part and make a real dual sided H4 bulb housing... but the part was pretty expensive and completely glued/molded together so that was a no go!

Last edited:
I suspect that the H7 will give you a MUCH better low beam than an extra H4. I've only briefly played around with using the existing H4 as a second low beam, but my impression was that it was much less focused than the H7. I'm pretty sure that H7 bulbs put out more light than H4 bulbs on low. If the goal is more light for the high beams I think you'd be better off adding some driving lights or replacing the H4 with a higher wattage bulb.

Well I wasn't plan on doing this anyway, considering I'm not a big fan of high beams and won't be using them. I just thought it would be plug & play, considering "part 4" is the same for both sides and this is where the H4 & H7 go into, except that the H7 has to be connected to "part 5" first. Look at the picture and you'll understand what I mean.

In that case, I'm considering making both my bulbs H7 then! Wouldn't I get a better beam? This weekend I'm going to try that. I'm going to remove part "3" & "5" to the other side and see if it lights up. If it does....then I know it would work and all I have to do is order part "5", which only cost $6.

I wish I can put picture up so you guys can see. Just look at the link I gave ya

Well I wasn't plan on doing this anyway, considering I'm not a big fan of high beams and won't be using them. I just thought it would be plug & play, considering "part 4" is the same for both sides and this is where the H4 & H7 go into, except that the H7 has to be connected to "part 5" first. Look at the picture and you'll understand what I mean.

Part 4 is just a rubber booty. Part 5 adapts the back of the H7 to an H4 electrical connector plug. The bulbs connect into the back of part 1 (the headlight housing), and the holes are different sizes.

I wish I can put picture up so you guys can see. Just look at the link I gave ya

Your wish is my command (in this case only):
28565_headlight.gif

I suspect that the H7 will give you a MUCH better low beam than an extra H4. I've only briefly played around with using the existing H4 as a second low beam, but my impression was that it was much less focused than the H7. I'm pretty sure that H7 bulbs put out more light than H4 bulbs on low. If the goal is more light for the high beams I think you'd be better off adding some driving lights or replacing the H4 with a higher wattage bulb.

I'm happy with the light output from the H4, H7 combo but I decided to upgrade the sidelights to led and add a led daylight running light under the front fairing. Obviously the visible light output onto the road isn't increased but it definitely gets me noticed, especially when i do any filtering.

This all seems really simple. I am new here and just picked up a barely used 2009 model FZ 6 and was looking at this very thing. The printing on the back of the light fixture (pilot side) says H4 on both left and right sides. It says nothing about H7. I find this interesting. Also has anyone really looked at the reflectors to see if there is a true difference in each side? I am talking about the distance between segments or concavity to determine if it is really a different reflector from left to right. If not then it is merely a focusing (aiming) issue that can surely be resolved by adjustment screws?

Which wire in the harness that lives under the tank is the hi-beam wire?

Do the guys overseas have dual H4 set-ups from the factory? I think they have the marker lights in their bikes that we do not get here in the States.

Where can you find the actual wiring diagram for this bike to see if the hi/lo beam switch is acting as just a switch and the power comes from a relay or through the switch. No matter the BD43 Mod will need to be done and another wire ran to the hi-beam of the left side.

I totally forgot about this thread as I gave up on the idea. If you can make it work let me know. I get half credit. :D

hey Krazy, you're trying to do the dual H4 right? Before you do that, can you (or anybody mechanically inclined) do a little experiment for me. I still think it's possible to have H7 on both sides. You're going to need to do the following:

1. Perform tcmalker's dual headlight mod in order to get 2 low beams. One beam will come from H4 the other will come from H7.

2. Take a picture at night of the light beam, note the time and such. This will be our reference.

3. For this step you're going to need "part 5" and another H7 bulb. Put these in the former H4 side. You may need to do minor modification, not sure.

4. Take picture at same conditions as #2, now with 2 H7 bulbs.

5. Report result. Have a beer.

I just want to know if it would be better to have 2 H7s instead of H4/H7 combo. If this works, all we have to do is buy "part 5". It's real cheap. Again, I get half credit. :D

Krazyjohnny >>>

Before I did the mod (cutting a H4 to match the H7 socket), I phoned the local Yamaha dealer and asked if it was possible to order an English right hand side reflector so that I would have 2 true H4 sockets.
But it was only possible to buy a whole light housing all glued together at a price of about 350 Euro, so I just did myself a favour and forgot all about that solution.

I think its hard to see if there is any actual difference between right and left reflector (concavity and so on as you mention).

I might try someday soon to redo my mod with the right hand side H4 (I just cut the socket of it to match the circle of a H7). I would like to have the modded H4 pushed further inside the lighthousing, so that I might more equal light output. The modded H4 is maybe 1-2cm further back in the light housing compared to the regular H4 side.

Alternately I thought about changing the whole thing to dual H7 for even better lowbeam (if possible) and adding some small but serious highbeam just below the faring. Maybe one of the smaller high beams from Hella?

hey Krazy, you're trying to do the dual H4 right? Before you do that, can you (or anybody mechanically inclined) do a little experiment for me. I still think it's possible to have H7 on both sides. You're going to need to do the following: 1,2,3,4,5...

And here I thought I had a clever idea with dual H7... haha I posted 2 minutes too late!

Krazyjohnny >>>

Before I did the mod (cutting a H4 to match the H7 socket), I phoned the local Yamaha dealer and asked if it was possible to order an English right hand side reflector so that I would have 2 true H4 sockets.
But it was only possible to buy a whole light housing all glued together at a price of about 350 Euro, so I just did myself a favour and forgot all about that solution.

I think its hard to see if there is any actual difference between right and left reflector (concavity and so on as you mention).

I might try someday soon to redo my mod with the right hand side H4 (I just cut the socket of it to match the circle of a H7). I would like to have the modded H4 pushed further inside the lighthousing, so that I might more equal light output. The modded H4 is maybe 1-2cm further back in the light housing compared to the regular H4 side.

Alternately I thought about changing the whole thing to dual H7 for even better lowbeam (if possible) and adding some small but serious highbeam just below the faring. Maybe one of the smaller high beams from Hella?

Mr. Mogenson, you are a prime candidate for my experiment...I suspect going from H4 to H7 would be easier, since there will be no cutting. Just need "part 5".

hey Krazy, you're trying to do the dual H4 right? Before you do that, can you (or anybody mechanically inclined) do a little experiment for me. I still think it's possible to have H7 on both sides. You're going to need to do the following: 1,2,3,4,5...

And here I thought I had a clever idea with dual H7... haha I posted 2 minutes too late!

you get half credit. :D

Mr. Mogenson, you are a prime candidate for my experiment...I suspect going from H4 to H7 would be easier, since there will be no cutting. Just need "part 5".

It's not all that easy. You need to do a little more work than just getting "part 5" to make the H7 sit tight in the H4 side. The H7 metalsocket is much smaller and is positioned further back in the lighthousing due to differences of right/left reflector sockets. I hope this makes sense?

Too bad your not my neighbour, because I got "part 5" in my drawer right here!

Back