Importance of Cable Lubing

MarinaFazer

Wonderbread
Reaction score
www.jwci.org
At a recent Ride Night, a fellow rider complained of a stiff clutch lever. I pulled on it, and MAN, it WAS tough! So I pulled on mine...not bad I thought.

Then I was in OTD Cyclesports and was harassing a 2009 R6 and noticed the clutch lever....crisp, and like liquid. WTF...why isn't mine like that???

So after searching forever for the cable lube tool and cable lube, I was able to perform this simple maintenance procedure last night. Took all of 15 minutes to get the wire exposed, fit the tool on, spray the lube (while wrapped in the towel...thanks guys for that advice that saved me a MESS), and put it back together after cleaning off dirt/grime buildup as well.

The difference??? NIGHT AND DAY. It's like brand new. So lube your cables...it's quick, and your hands will thank you.

I had felt no problem with my lever because I was used to it slowly going stiff, but BOY is it NICE now. Faster, crisper shifting and response.

If you don't:

stiff levers (harder to pull in clutch and it's slower to rebound too!)
frayed cables (if they fray in the rubber tubes...you're screwed)

If you do:

crisp, fast, easy shifting
extended cable life
opportunity to work on your bike and drink beer
less effort to pull in clutch

Anybody have anything to add? Please do! :thumbup:

Thanks for the info! Just a couple of questions to help me decide when I need to do this myself.

How many years and miles do you have on your FZ? Is it stored indoors our out? And how much riding do you do in the rain?

Thanks again,

John

I have 10,000 miles on my bike. I bought it this year as a 2006 brand new (around spring-time-ish) It is stored under a covered driveway of my house. I hope to store it in the garage if the landlady cleans her crap out.

The dealer I bought the stuff from said he lubes once a month...seems overkill though.

Yes, do the throttle cable too. I didn't have time last night, but I might do it tonight...I think that one might be a little more involved.

"Service manual...you my only friend" LOL

I went for a ride Friday and everything felt great. I went to go to work today and the clutch pull felt at least twice as hard and there's a squeak sound + rough feel to the clutch pull.

I think I'm going to pick up a cable lube tool, but do you remove the cable from the lever? I've never had to use one before. Are the directions pretty straight forward?

it is something that i try to do every time i change the oil. You can never have a cable that is too lubed....

It take just a couple mins and can save you a lot of a headache later on.

I went for a ride Friday and everything felt great. I went to go to work today and the clutch pull felt at least twice as hard and there's a squeak sound + rough feel to the clutch pull.

I think I'm going to pick up a cable lube tool, but do you remove the cable from the lever? I've never had to use one before. Are the directions pretty straight forward?

Yes, the directions are very straightforward and even printed on the back of the packaging and on the lube can.

Consult the manual or just look at it to figure out how to take it out. Never be afraid to take it apart...just remember how it goes back together.

I lube once a month :D

For the throttle cables (there is a slit in the plastic end) especially I find wrapping a bit of plumbers tape around the cable ensured a good seal.

The last couple of months my clutch has been steadily getting worse (stiffer) a couple of weekends ago I did a ride (575Km) with a couple of others from this forum, anyway afterwards my wrists and fingers were agony, there were a lot of junctions so a lot of gear changing :(
Well by the look of things this is the answer, thanks for the info :thumbup:

All I can say is wow. I picked up a cable lube tool from Cycle Gear and some cable lube, disconnected the clutch cable from the lever, shot enough lube through the tube that it came out the other side, let it sit, went for ride.

The difference is night and day. I can't believe the difference and don't know why it went bad so quick :eek:, but I'm ecstatic that it went back to good so quick :rockon:.

Thanks for the tips; rags at both ends of the cable and wrapped around the tool are a must otherwise I can see this process getting very messy.

Hi there,

I did the same experience with my pre-owned 2004. As you said "day and night". I did my own oil tool with a short piece of rubber fuel hose( cut on its lenght).Easy and inexpensive.I perform it every month.
:D

Did mine yesterday, it felt great coming to work this morning, like riding a new bike. Doing the throttle cables was much easier than I was expecting once I managed to get the bar-end off (was very tight), also under the throttle control it was bone dry so I got plenty of greese under there and it feels so smooth now.

Back