Is it overheating or is it me?

bdevries

Reaction score
Visit site
I live in SW Florida, low 90's now, but I try to stay out of city traffic. I have yet to hear my fan run (except when the PO was learning to ride) and have NEVER see the temp gauge above 200F in the 5 years I've owned it..

:eek:

When I'm outside of the city it sits around 165-170, but in the city, or driving through a parking lot it spikes quick to 214 and if I just shut the bike off and pull out the key, it can get up 225.. I dont get it.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

When I'm outside of the city it sits around 165-170, but in the city, or driving through a parking lot it spikes quick to 214 and if I just shut the bike off and pull out the key, it can get up 225.. I dont get it.

Turned off and not running the engine is still hot and the coolant isn't moving, no air flow, thats normal..

When underway, (thru the parking lot as you posted above), or just stopped in traffic, squeeze that hose I mentioned.

If its SOFT, your system is NOT pressurizing and the bike will run hot..

For example, go out to your cage while its cold. You can easily squeeze the upper radiator hose.

Now go for a drive, get it to running temp.

Now try squeezing the same hose, same place, (its hot-use common sense).

Guess what, you CAN'T SQUEEZE it (if the system is operating properly) as its pressurized.

Exact same principles for the water cooled bike as for the water cooled car.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

^^ That'd be normal

Like getting out of a sauna or being in the sun for 3 hrs. Just because you removed the heat "source", doesn't mean you automatically drop temp. And as Scott said, without cooling, the temp climbs as the engine still hows heat to shed, so the temp climbs up w/out cooling. It normal.

Things that would indicate a problem:
Temp is above 80F ambient.
- Bike temp reports 185F for the last 10 min and the hoses are soft.
Could simply be low on coolant. Could be a bad cap. Could be a leak.​

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
By the way I realised that it's better to do all the possible work at your bike by yourself. While waiting for the bike to cool down I inspected rear caliper (one bolt was loose) and drained about 160ml of engine oil because the indicated oil level on the 'stick' was over the top.

If you checked the oil level with the bike sitting on the side stand it will not be accurate. The oil level is supposed to be checked while sitting on the bike or with the bike on the center stand so that it is vertical. On the side stand the dip stick will read lower than it actually is!

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
Reading these temperature threads makes me very jealous of you '07+ owners. My best guide is whether my ankles are getting hot in low shoes(normal), high boots(hot) or full leathers(get the fire department).

Marcin

Reaction score
Visit site
Oil level checked on sidestand :) and it shown too high , not too low :)

Anyway - today rode the same route in the same conditions - when at home not even the fourth line appeared and the third appeared almost at the end of the ride.

JeffSez59

Reaction score
Visit site
Today was the first day that I actually have seen my fan come on! Thank the Lord!! I was really hoping I didn't have a broken fan but it works so all good. Came on about a minute after I hit 4 bars on the temp gauge.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Today was the first day that I actually have seen my fan come on! Thank the Lord!! I was really hoping I didn't have a broken fan but it works so all good. Came on about a minute after I hit 4 bars on the temp gauge.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

Yea I rode at lunch hour here in VA and it was hot as bawls out there! 88F and humid. Rain's coming I think.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Last edited:

Marcin

Reaction score
Visit site
Maybe it's the sticker difference ;)

Anyway, today, over 30C in shade, traffic jams, slow moving around and only had the fan and four bars once, when I turned off the engine on a parking spot but left the ignition on.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Maybe it's the sticker difference ;)

Anyway, today, over 30C in shade, traffic jams, slow moving around and only had the fan and four bars once, when I turned off the engine on a parking spot but left the ignition on.

You know that will only cool the fluid in the radiator right? Its not going to do much for the hot block.

Again, as long as its not boiling over. It's very likely just fine.

Marcin

Reaction score
Visit site
I know it doesn't help cooling a lot, all I wanted to indicate was the fact, that the moment the bike stopped riding and no airflow was present as well as the water pump stopped, the temperature rose enough to trigger the fan. And it happened simply because I usually kill the engine with the sidestand so when I parked the bike and killed the engine with the sidestand a couple of seconds later the fan started working. Still, I didn't bother - took the keys with me and left the engine to cool itself.

Anyway, I believe that from my side, the topic is closed for now - bleeding the system probably helped some but also you assurances that everything behaves normally also made me feel more confident with the bike.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
as the water pump stopped, the temperature rose enough to trigger the fan. And it happened simply because I usually kill the engine with the sidestand so when I parked the bike and killed the engine with the sidestand a couple of seconds later the fan started working.

Glad is all well.

Just a side note, once the engine was off, bike still powered up, all the heat in the engine, with NO circulation, kicked on the fan (as it should have). Letting the fan run will cool down the radiator obviously, but not the engine(at that point).

Anyway, safe riding..

oaks

~~~~~
Reaction score
Visit site
For the record, here is data summarized from a chart in an S2 Owner's Manual. I'd assume the temperature ranges apply to the S1 model, too. From this, I'd say these engines are built to take more heat than we would normally think.

Also, according to the S1 manual, the top segment of the temperature meter will flash when the engine is overheating. "If the top segment flashes, stop the vehicle and let the engine cool."

--
Under 39C / 103F
"Lo" is display.
OK to ride.
--
40-116C / 104-242F
Temperature is displayed.
OK to ride.
--
117-139C / 243-283F
Temperature display flashes and warning light comes on.
Stop the bike and let it idle to cool. Stop the engine if it doesn't cool down.
--
Above 140C / 284F
Message "HI" flashes and warning light comes on.
Stop the engine and let it cool.
--

Last edited:

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
For the record, here is a handy chart from an S2 Owner's Manual. I'd assume the temperature ranges apply to the S1 model, too. From this, I'd say these engines are built to take more heat than we would normally think.

Also, according to the S1 manual, the top segment of the temperature meter will flash when the engine is overheating. "If the top segment flashes, stop the vehicle and let the engine cool."

Lets keep in mind that all material by Yamaha is copy right protected. I agree that Owners manual should be a free for all, but it fits in the same bucket so after Marcin sees this perhaps you can copy out the key points as text and then remove it.

Thanks

oaks

~~~~~
Reaction score
Visit site
Lets keep in mind that all material by Yamaha is copy right protected. I agree that Owners manual should be a free for all, but it fits in the same bucket so after Marcin sees this perhaps you can copy out the key points as text and then remove it.

Thanks

Thanks for the reminder. The post is fixed. I had already done a purge of many old attachments back in March, but fell back into old habits. :rolleyes:

Stay cool!