It wasn't the bike, but....

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
After riding the Indian Foothills Parkway and headed around the park to Cherokee for dinner, I pulled the three of us over. I had a bug in my helmet and something bothering one eye. It was a great snake of a road but heavy with traffic and slow going. We stopped buy the fast-moving stream that this road ran parallel to. This was a small turnout big enough for about three cars. We lined the bikes up and all dismounted, took off the helmets and jackets.

Here's a pic of what was just ahead of my bike. This is a rock-lined road that is about 6 feet down and steep. Large rocks and big steps! Sort of hard to navigate if you wanted to go to the clear rushing water below.

View attachment 16842

You can see in this shot, my bike, Joe's SV650 right behind my wife and my bike, then her bike. See her blue helmet there on the mirror?

View attachment 16843

Well, she said she was having issues with the front end. Seems the tire was having a shimmy problem at certain speeds. So I went back to look at it. I got to her bike and grabbed the bars to straighten the wheel. I am standing on the street side of her bike. Imagine my shock and horror and I see her helmet tip. You know how everything seems to go in slow motion when you you know it's going to end up BAD!?!? Well, I watched for what seemed like MINUTES and her helmet slid off the mirror.... then hit the tar. I reached but knew there wasn't a chance... It bounced up once, then flipped, hit again and did the WORST possible football bounce, directly toward the raging water. I started around the bike yelling NO! NO! NO!!! Too late! It bounced down the embankment off two rocks and did a BEAUTIFUL swan dive into the raging water! OMFG!!! I couldn't believe this! My feet took over where my mind was numb and lost. The helmet itself is an inexpensive Icon we bought for her. But, attached to that helmet was her Scala Rider Q2 headset, still flashing it's pretty bluetooth-blue light and asking to be chatted with. I took to the road and within split seconds, bounded down the rocks, somehow not falling and breaking my extremities. a few yards down was a rock jutting out of the water, sort of an upside down V in shape. Without even a thought, I jumped out and landed on it like a saddled horse. I was in the water up to my knees, riding boots and overpants on. I looked upstream and there was the helmet, floating and twisting, headed my way. There was a smaller rock in front of it and the helmet tapped it. It could have gone either way but I think Lady Luck gave me my one shot! It tapped the rock again and went street side and headed right toward the front of the rock I was straddling. I layed forward and snagged it on the way by. After pulling it toward me, I saw that one of her gloves was in it and fell out. I swept my other arm around and snatched it out of the water too! :eek: :Flash: This photo is my exhausted fat arse with my two prizes, caught in a crystal clear TN stream in the Smokey Mtns. No rod, no reel, no bait, just my bare hands!

View attachment 16844

Yes, the helmet was water logged. The Scala was submerged. I poured water out of the helmet as soon as I had reeled it in. I put them in my lap and pulled the Scala off, still flashing blue. I wiped it with my shirt before getting off the rock and it remained running. They are water resistant but not supposed to be submerged but that was the counter weight that turned the helmet and the keel that stayed in the water.

Here is my testiment to Scala.... the unit did not take any water in. The only way water can get in is via the rubber plug for the charger but as the manual states, I was diligent in making sure it was closed securely that morning. Now the speakers and mic? Oh yeah... SOAKED! I pulled my new Dragon Tee out of my tail bag, and changed into it. I used my Tee after wringing out as best I could her helmet to press dry the liner and pads in the helmet. I gently pressed out the speakers and mic. After about 20 minutes of pressing and drying, it was far from dry. I have to say, she was a great sport about it though. Because the day was rather hot, it was like air conditioning for her head. Thankfully it was ALSO as clear a stream as I've seen with the freshest of water. She put on the helmet and we snapped the Scala back onto the mount. I put on my helmet and we turned them on. IT WORKED! IT FREAKIN' WORKED! I could hear her crystal clear! She said I was a little muted, understandable with the wet speakers....

As the rest of the trip worn on, the speakers dried out and she and I had zero issues communicating all the way back to the Two Wheel Inn.

I ONLY wish she's caught all this on video cause I am sure it would have gotten $10k if not the whole $100k on AFHV.

Thanks for reading folks and I hope you got a good laugh out of this! :thumbup:

Last edited:

FZyLarry

No power slides for me
Reaction score
Visit site
Great story! Glad to hear the wife has a good sense of humor (cause sometimes you just have to laugh at the stuff that happens)

kamao

Reaction score
Visit site
Nice story! It's always the stuff you can't plan for on a ride that makes it extra interesting lol. Those Scala units do look pretty rugged, but thats a pretty wild field test.. good job :D

Cuba

Reaction score
Visit site
Man I thought you were going to say you tipped her bike over the bank and into the water... nice grab!

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Finally reconnected and at a better speed now!

About the front end... We stopped at the Patron Saint of the Dragon, Wheeler's. Ken took a look at the bike and doesn't think it is anything more than poor quality fork oil that has simply given out. The seals are all in tact and there's no odd noises like a broken spring might make. It is just a VERY soft and spongy front end. We've got another month of warranty left on it. So, we took it easy with it since it wasn't bottoming even under heavy braking for her. We'll get by for the next day or two and then it's on the trailer and back to NH. I'm going to leave it on the trailer and take it to the dealer and have them work on it. Once the warranty is up, I'm going to order some quality springs for her and get those forks planted better.

Thanks for asking about that! Sorry I left you all hanging. :D

As for the helmet and Scala... dry and still working 100%! We ran them 7 hours yesterday and 5 hours today before the charge gave up and we lost connection. Cannot say enough about the quality of these units!

Last edited:

boo68

I'm a girl dammit!
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You're a hero Eric, and Michelle is a saint ;)

Glad it all worked out and no major issues with the bike, helmet or the Scala.

Deb

marke14

running on empty
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Awesome story there man! Well-told - I could imagine the slo-mo helmet tipping off the mirror, and the exaggerated "Noooooo ..." that you must have thought or said. I think we have all had at least one of those moments - like watching a train wreck in slow motion.

Good show! :iconbeer: