I've got a loooong way to go

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My friend / coach filmed my sessions on 9/1.
I'm happy enough with my body position, but my lines are awful! I'm still having a hard time overcoming street riding approach, where I typically practice delayed apexing. :rolleyes:

I know what I need to work on and most of the places where I'm off, but it's so hard to fix!! Really wish I'd started track riding before I turned 39... like 30 years before :rof:

Anyway.. here are few laps around Thunderbolt

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y841gQUAeto"]NJMP Thunderbolt 9/1/2014 - YouTube[/ame]

edgeofnj

Reaction score
Visit site
is the recorder cbrbob and is he on the preferred line? i'm guessing it takes lots of practice to memorize the track and know where to start turning to hit each apex... and most definitely looks easier on tv! i'd say use the winter to save up your practice budget, but you probably use that on snowboarding!

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
is the recorder cbrbob and is he on the preferred line? i'm guessing it takes lots of practice to memorize the track and know where to start turning to hit each apex... and most definitely looks easier on tv! i'd say use the winter to save up your practice budget, but you probably use that on snowboarding!

Yup, CBR Bob is the camera man. He's not always on the right line (because I'm messing him up), but in several places he is.. where I'm nowhere near it.. in those spots, it almost looks like I'm crossing his straight line.

Since I don't get to go to the track all that often, I'm thinking I want as much coaching as possible.. it's gonna get $$$$$ :rolleyes:

ChanceCoats123

Reaction score
Visit site
If you can get an aerial view of the track, it might be beneficial to sit down for a while and draw in your line versus the line you're looking for. I've never been to a track day, but seeing the apex of a turn while you are in the middle of it can be difficult even when riding on the street. At increased speeds, it's definitely not getting easier. If you can get the correct line in your head prior to hitting the track, it might help you to realize the right time to turn in, in the heat of the moment.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
If you can get an aerial view of the track, it might be beneficial to sit down for a while and draw in your line versus the line you're looking for. I've never been to a track day, but seeing the apex of a turn while you are in the middle of it can be difficult even when riding on the street. At increased speeds, it's definitely not getting easier. If you can get the correct line in your head prior to hitting the track, it might help you to realize the right time to turn in, in the heat of the moment.

Great advice, and I've already done that... still can't actually execute the desired line.

kenh

Ride Like Your Invisible!
Premium Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
My friend / coach filmed my sessions on 9/1.
I'm happy enough with my body position, but my lines are awful! I'm still having a hard time overcoming street riding approach, where I typically practice delayed apexing. :rolleyes:

I know what I need to work on and most of the places where I'm off, but it's so hard to fix!! Really wish I'd started track riding before I turned 39... like 30 years before :rof:

Anyway.. here are few laps around Thunderbolt

NJMP Thunderbolt 9/1/2014 - YouTube

I would not beat yourself up too much about it. Remember Paul Newman?, I know his passion was not motorcycles, but he didn't start racing until he was in his 40's and he went on to much success. He initially learned his craft in a formula ford, which is a small open wheeled car. My point is, not all of your lines were bad and patience is a great virtue which typically comes with age. BTW as I recall, you have a very capable cage in the BRZ that can help practice in everyday driving. Remember, you do not have to be driving at speed to see the correct line in any corner. :rolleyes:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I would not beat yourself up too much about it. Remember Paul Newman?, I know his passion was not motorcycles, but he didn't start racing until he was in his 40's and he went on to much success. He initially learned his craft in a formula ford, which is a small open wheeled car. My point is, not all of your lines were bad and patience is a great virtue which typically comes with age. BTW as I recall, you have a very capable cage in the BRZ that can help practice in everyday driving. Remember, you do not have to be driving at speed to see the correct line in any corner. :rolleyes:

Thanks!! I actually just watched onboard vid from my friend's bike. He raced the same day I was there.. and his lines are far from perfect.. made me feel better :D

The most important thing: good lines or not.. I'm having loads of fun out there :thumbup:

LeeFZ

Reaction score
Visit site
Wish I have this track close to where I live. We have a little track to on. Its really rough cos they do sorts of training on it (cops, fire truck and ambulance)

I have the same problem Eric (initiate the turn to early). I also watch Twist of the Wrist by Keith Code on YouTube. It helps a lot. And it all makes sense, easy to follow.

MG-242

Reaction score
Visit site
Having fun is 99% of it. Not crashing is the other 1% Blah

But, really, if you haven't already get a notebook and start drawing the turns and identifying you RP's. A track map is an OK start, but won't show the camber, bumps, etc. Draw out the turns and note your RP's. Where you get on the throttle, off the throttle, brake, release the brake, RP's that pull your eyes up at the exit to the next turn, everything that's important. You know, the Keith Code stuff :) and cheap-you can practice it while not at the track!. Next, take a session and only focus on being smooth. Very smooth!! For most turns, only 1 input into the bars. Don't be shy about using the whole track especially on the exit. This is where RP's are going to come in handy. Also, like Kenny Roberts said one time, you have to go slow to go fast. Slow down start hitting your RP's dead nuts everytime and speed will come. Be consistent. Then, when you do make small changes, you know if it helps. Make sense? Now, I know as an MSF coach I should have only given one thing, but........ OK, RP's :)

I did Mid-Ohio yesterday. It had been a few years since I've ridden it at speed and what I found was that my transition from off throttle to back on throttle had lost some if it's very fine motor skills finese. It did make for some interesting slides though :thumbup:

Keep it up. As you know the only way to improve (unless you have a ton of natural talent) is to practice, practice and practice.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Having fun is 99% of it. Not crashing is the other 1% Blah

But, really, if you haven't already get a notebook and start drawing the turns and identifying you RP's. A track map is an OK start, but won't show the camber, bumps, etc. Draw out the turns and note your RP's. Where you get on the throttle, off the throttle, brake, release the brake, RP's that pull your eyes up at the exit to the next turn, everything that's important. You know, the Keith Code stuff :) and cheap-you can practice it while not at the track!. Next, take a session and only focus on being smooth. Very smooth!! For most turns, only 1 input into the bars. Don't be shy about using the whole track especially on the exit. This is where RP's are going to come in handy. Also, like Kenny Roberts said one time, you have to go slow to go fast. Slow down start hitting your RP's dead nuts everytime and speed will come. Be consistent. Then, when you do make small changes, you know if it helps. Make sense? Now, I know as an MSF coach I should have only given one thing, but........ OK, RP's :)

I did Mid-Ohio yesterday. It had been a few years since I've ridden it at speed and what I found was that my transition from off throttle to back on throttle had lost some if it's very fine motor skills finese. It did make for some interesting slides though :thumbup:

Keep it up. As you know the only way to improve (unless you have a ton of natural talent) is to practice, practice and practice.

Outstanding advice, Mike! :thumbup:
I brought the notebook to last event, but the company was so good, I ended up BS'ing all through non-riding portions :rolleyes:

I've got a 2-day training this Thursday and Friday with Eric Bostrom.. hoping to learn a lot :thumbup:

MG-242

Reaction score
Visit site
Eric is\was an awesome rider and I'm sure he'll give you tons of good advice. I sure miss watching him and his brother on the national scene.

Good luck, have fun and let us know how it goes.

Verharen

~ Wild Child ~
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The longest journey begins with one step. You are well on your way my friend! I've had to put my track dreams on hold for a bit, so I'm enjoying hearing about yours. While it seems like it would be fun to do everything perfect the first time, it really is the journey rather than the destination with things like this. There is no perfection, there is only "better" with each pass.

I've become good friends with a racer in New Hampshire and he didn't start racing until he was in his mid 30's. He turned pro after just a couple years (if I remember his story correctly) and just switched from a GSXR 600 to an R6 and has to learn a whole new set of moves now.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The longest journey begins with one step. You are well on your way my friend! I've had to put my track dreams on hold for a bit, so I'm enjoying hearing about yours. While it seems like it would be fun to do everything perfect the first time, it really is the journey rather than the destination with things like this. There is no perfection, there is only "better" with each pass.

I've become good friends with a racer in New Hampshire and he didn't start racing until he was in his mid 30's. He turned pro after just a couple years (if I remember his story correctly) and just switched from a GSXR 600 to an R6 and has to learn a whole new set of moves now.

Thanks, Jen! Sorry to hear you're putting track thing on hold, but maybe it's not a bad thing.. I've said it before and I'll say it again: it's the equivalent of crack, but MORE addictive :O

MG-242

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks, Jen! Sorry to hear you're putting track thing on hold, but maybe it's not a bad thing.. I've said it before and I'll say it again: it's the equivalent of crack, but MORE addictive :O

Not only is it addictive, but in order to be fairly competent or good at it, you need to do it on a regular basis. If you only do 1 or 2, or even 3\yr, it can be a little frustrating in seeing good improvement.

Hmmm, I guess I'm starting to sound like a 'cracktrackday pusher' ;) But one is just fine, try it, you'll like it! :thumbup:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Not only is it addictive, but in order to be fairly competent or good at it, you need to do it on a regular basis. If you only do 1 or 2, or even 3\yr, it can be a little frustrating in seeing good improvement.

Hmmm, I guess I'm starting to sound like a 'cracktrackday pusher' ;) But one is just fine, try it, you'll like it! :thumbup:

LOL.. yeah! Last year I did 3 (obviously only enough to figure out I was hooked, but not enough to figure out body position, suspension, ref points.. etc).

This year, I've done 5 (and crashed out of 1 on my 2nd lap of 1st session). Still not as many as I'd like to be doing to really see improvement. Once a week would be nice, but that's never gonna happen.

I'll be doing 2 more this week.. not sure if I'll be able to do another one after this.

The hope for next year: to try other tracks! VIR, NCbike, NYST.. all are far away, making it impossible to do a 1-day trip. Now I kind of want to buy a van I can sleep in.. IT NEVER ENDS!! :rof: