Just bought my first bike today!

Poot

Thank God ^ was there!
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi All,

I'm Matt from Pittsfield, MA, USA. I have been a bicycle racer my whole life, competing for the University of Arizona in Tucson, Arizona, USA while I was in college. Now that I have a job (Software Engineer), and getting older (25), it is time to let something else do the work and give my legs a break.

As of today, I just bought a 2006 Yamaha FZ6 (Blue) from a local shop (Ronnie's Cycles) for $4500. This bike has 8k miles on it, only had on driveway tip over, and is in excellent condition.

What more could you ask for your first bike?

Look forward to reading up on all of the great information that is on the forums and getting to know people.

Cheers,

--Matt

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Congrats, good choice (I also have a blue 2006). I have 17,000 miles and it runs like it did new, 50mpg on 87 octane fuel.

Gear up and read up on doing a throttle body sync on the engine, that alone was the biggest improvement to the tune up I have made on the bike in 6 years!

callmegandhi

IM4TH
Reaction score
Visit site
Hello from another former bicycle racer! I used to race mountain bikes, 20 years ago!! I haven't been on one in a few years just stick with the FZ now. No pedals!:welcome:

Cwwrig

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello,

I have an '06 Blue FZ6 as well with about 21k miles on it. Here lately I've been getting around 50 mpg after changing out my air filter.

My advice to someone new (because no one is asking) is to get David Hough's Proficient Motorcycling book. It has some really good safety information in it (as well as tips for how to ride). In fact you should read that first and then read what everyone else has to say on the forums. That way you have an expert's basis to work from.

Good luck and be safe - and wear the appropriate gear...being a beginner you're likely to drop it or have a minor "uh-oh" so no need to get scrapped up.

Have fun and enjoy.

2006_FZ6

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome: You will love the FZ6, a potent machine, even if you do have the slower blue version. Everyone know the red version is faster. :BLAA:

btw, :needpics:

All kidding aside, great bike, great forum, great people here! Enjoy and ride safe!

Poot

Thank God ^ was there!
Reaction score
Visit site
Hello,

I have an '06 Blue FZ6 as well with about 21k miles on it. Here lately I've been getting around 50 mpg after changing out my air filter.

My advice to someone new (because no one is asking) is to get David Hough's Proficient Motorcycling book. It has some really good safety information in it (as well as tips for how to ride). In fact you should read that first and then read what everyone else has to say on the forums. That way you have an expert's basis to work from.

Good luck and be safe - and wear the appropriate gear...being a beginner you're likely to drop it or have a minor "uh-oh" so no need to get scrapped up.

Have fun and enjoy.

thanks for the advice! I actually took a training course before getting my license so that should help a bit too. is there a video version of the book, I hate reading books lol!

and we all know red looks like it is going faster but in fact blue is stealthy and always wins!

mxgolf

Motoup
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome to this great forum. So you have purchased the fast and better looking blue FZ6! You have chosen a great motorcycle. I'm sure you enjoy your time on it. Ride Safe And Enjoy The Ride!

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome: and congrats on the new bike:thumbup:

Studies have shown that blue is the logical color of choice:D

Now, get those pics posted!

degake

Stop flashing!! G$*%£#
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome: You will love the FZ6, a potent machine, even if you do have the slower blue version. Everyone know the red version is faster. :BLAA:

Welcome to this great forum. So you have purchased the fast and better looking blue FZ6!

:welcome: and congrats on the new bike:thumbup:

Studies have shown that blue is the logical color of choice:D

Now, get those pics posted!

I guess you guys were all afraid of the true power of the fastest color: SILVER :Flip:

OP, where are the piccies?? :D:Flash:

Grtz,

Degake

ste

Surfing the ethernet
Reaction score
Visit site
hi matt great first bike
living in ireland we need to get restrictors put on to 33bhp
its an option so you dont over do things too quickly
:welcome:
also crash bobbins are a good option too

Poot

Thank God ^ was there!
Reaction score
Visit site
I will post pictures this weekend when I actually go and pick up the bike. I may have gotten it yesterday, but that was only the start of all of the paperwork, insuring it, and registering it!

Stay Tuned!

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
Lot of great places to ride where you live... well once you're out of Pittsfield :D

I'm always on Rt. 7, 8, 9, 20 and love doing the Rt.2 Mohawk Trail from Shelburn to Greylock.

Astennu

Reaction score
Visit site
Congrats! I had a 04 as first bike. I loved it! Its also very fast when you give it the beans.
I hope you will have a lot of fun with it :)

Poot

Thank God ^ was there!
Reaction score
Visit site
Lot of great places to ride where you live... well once you're out of Pittsfield :D

I'm always on Rt. 7, 8, 9, 20 and love doing the Rt.2 Mohawk Trail from Shelburn to Greylock.

Figured I would run into someone in the area, especially with 18k forum members. Are there any others that you know of that are close? Do you ever ride with anyone from the forums?

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
I live in Easthampton this is my third year with my 08. I don't see many 6's around I do see one in Holyoke once in a while across the street from where my friend lives. Also see a silver 6 occasionally in Huntington. I spot them every now and then but see a lot 1's and 8's around.

I usually ride with my brother (ZRX 1200) and friend (Gladius 650).

ste

Surfing the ethernet
Reaction score
Visit site
I live in Easthampton this is my third year with my 08. I don't see many 6's around I do see one in Holyoke once in a while across the street from where my friend lives. Also see a silver 6 occasionally in Huntington. I spot them every now and then but see a lot 1's and 8's around.

I usually ride with my brother (ZRX 1200) and friend (Gladius 650).
you will definitely blitz past your friends suzuki on your fazer
but your brothers kawasaki, i think you will have him in the corners, but his straight line speed could leave you behind in a cloud of smoke

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
The ZRX is a amazing bike I ride it time to time. It has plenty of rip but also corners well and looks old school racer. Cool thing is you can be chugging along a 2k rpm's and twist the throttle and it just ponies up and goes.

The suzuki is not fast but one of the most fun bikes I have ever driven. Great smooth low end and likes really tight conners.

Poot

Thank God ^ was there!
Reaction score
Visit site
The ZRX is a amazing bike I ride it time to time. It has plenty of rip but also corners well and looks old school racer. Cool thing is you can be chugging along a 2k rpm's and twist the throttle and it just ponies up and goes.

The suzuki is not fast but one of the most fun bikes I have ever driven. Great smooth low end and likes really tight conners.

Funny, I was actually looking at an 09 Gladius from Bennington, VT but ended up picking the FZ6.

ste

Surfing the ethernet
Reaction score
Visit site
Funny, I was actually looking at an 09 Gladius from Bennington, VT but ended up picking the FZ6.
wise choice in my opinion
plus yams are well known for their superior cornering
but yes the zxr is a beauty
i would like a go sometime
but the fastest bike i was ever on was a 1300 cc suzuki hayabusa
this bike is mental fast
in my first five mins on it, i couldnt stop it doing wheelies every time i went from a standstill