Just got out of ER

Cuba

Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry man, that looks like it hurt. Rest up, you'll feel a lot better in a week.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
While coming down down a twisty mountain road, I hit a small patch of gravel in a tight left hand turn going about 35. My rear tire slid out and I grabbed the front brake (which only made things worse). Low sided and slid. My bike got wedged under a guard rail, so did I, about 15 feet away. I hit a wooden guard post with my left side.

As soon as I stood up I took my helmet off and threw it in total anger. I went over to the bike to assess the damage and broke into tears. I'm not sure what DIDN'T get damaged. Luckily, a bunch of people were getting off work from a ski lodge on top of the mountain and stopped to help. I used one of their phones to call 911 (the adrenaline was wearing off and I was starting to hurt), my phone didn't get any reception. While I was making phone calls they used my camera to take some pictures. They also took a picture of the spot that I hit, you can see the dent in the ground where I was.

I rode to the hospital in the ambulance, and spent 5 hours in the ER. Nothing's broken, but I'm badly bruised and have a large piece of road rash where my jacket came up a bit, even though it was hooked into my belt. I can hardly walk, due to severe bruising or something on my left hip and flank. I haven't seen my gear yet, but my boots are really the only thing that made it out.

I seriously hope the bike is totalled. I don't have full coverage (couldn't afford if I made twice as much money as I do now) But if it is totalled then my GAP insurance should take care of the payments.

All in all, I made a mistake which made a bad situation worse. There were plenty of variables that caused me to lowside, but if I stayed off the front brake I might have been able to save it. All I can remember clearly is looking back while I was sliding, and seeing the bike about a foot away from my face, and thinking "This can't be happening to me." I had a nervous breakdown at the scene, and still feel all sorts of emotions welling up inside me. I just want this to be over.
I am really sorry mate, heal up soon.

Nelly

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry to hear/see your bike, but i am glad that you made it out, looks like it is in rough shape, but should be ride able again. R6 forks up front, and then a naked conversion, should be pretty cheap and somewhat easy to do, when you can get some better pics of what is damaged and we can help you get her back together.

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Get well soon. Heal not only your body but your emotions. It's just an object that is replaceable. You, on the other hand, are NOT replaceable. Glad you are here to write about it!

4fun

Member #1360
Reaction score
Visit site
Glad your relatively OK, could have been much worse.:(

The bike look so sad jammed under that guard rail.:eek:

As I discovered recently, all it takes is a scratch on the frame for the bike to be totaled.

Keep the spirits up.:thumbup:

billm

Reaction score
Visit site
Can't add anything to what's already been said except to say I'm w/all the rest in hoping for a speedy recovery & that your ins. covers your loss.
Rest up let the emotions out. Keep us posted.

fast blue one

The number of the beast
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm just glad you're in one piece.

As a cautionary note guys, if you have a spill and you are injured leave the helmet on until the paramedics get to you. It may stop a nasty surprise.

By the way I hope the GAP pays out for you.:thumbup:

CHEMIKER

Running Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So glad to hear that you're okay man (except for the aches, bruises, and rash). I was actually relieved to read the part where you got up and threw your helmet, becuase it meant that you were walking around and lucid.

Thank you for posting the pictures and description. These posts are important reminders to us all (experienced and inexperienced) to do all the things that will keep us alive because sh$% happens.

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Guard rails scare the p*ss out of me. Glad you made it through halfway decently. :(

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Glad you are okay! And thanks for posting your pics. Maybe we can turn something bad into some good, unfortunatley from your expense.

Guardrails are very dangerous to Motorcyclist! From his pics, you can see why. Any faster, this wreck could have been fatal. Beware of guardrails.

Cloned

Tiger Trainer
Reaction score
Visit site
Called the shop early today. The bike is officially totalled. From here I don't have to do anything. They're taking care of everything and calling my GAP insurance to sort everything out. I'm relieved that I don't have to continue to pay for a bike that I can't afford to fix, but at the same time I'm bummed that I no longer have my FZ. If anyone in the southwest is going to sell in future, keep me in mind :thumbup:

In these pic you can really see the damage. It was wedged so tight under the guard rail it took 3 guys 10 minutes to pull it out and it ripped the fairing off in the process.

staticghost

FZ6 Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah man....Good thing you came out OK. I hope you get your bike gets fixed the way u want it to be, and your recovery happens quickly.

Raid The Revenge

Reaction score
Visit site
Holy smokes! You survived a crash like that? That's pretty hardcore man!

I wonder what would've happened if the guardrail wasn't there...

(I just looked at the pictures again)

Oh wait! You didn't land near the cliff, right? You would've been fine in either case. Your bike on the other hand, would've been launched like a bazooka!

Last edited: