Just rode an fz1

ghostrider951

Reaction score
Visit site
hey everyone i currently own a 2006 yamaha fz6, and i just took out my buddies 2007 fz1, and all i have to say is that bike is amazing. and i have ridden a 2007 suzuki gsxr 600, 2003 honda cbr 600rr, 2010 kawasaki zx6r and zx10r, and 2001 suzuki gsxr 1000.

the fz1 in my oppinion feels in every way better than my fz6. the only thing i dont like about the fz1 is it doesn't get as good of mpg as my fz6. but the powerband on each gear of the fz1 is simply amazing, i even think that the fz1 takes corners better than my 6 which was real surprising, it will be my next bike for sure, but for as of right now i am plenty happy with my fz6.:rockon:

Last edited:
I hear you about the FZ1. But, the significant decrease in mileage is a real con. I'm glad I haven't ridden one yet because I like the 250 mile plus range, over 50 MPG on the FZ6.

they do seem fun, though i did end up stuck behind one a couple of times on track when cornering, but that could have been down to the rider

I think they're really nice, but I don't want to ride one just so I won't want to buy one.l haha, The FZ6 is plenty fast for me, and I would rather not spend any more than need be. haha

Unless you put a ton of mileage on your bike the added expense of the fuel isn't going to break the bank. I get a solid 41-43 mpg on my FZ1 which isn't all that bad. It has a slightly smaller tank and goes on reserve at about 150 miles which means you have to stop more often, but after 150 miles I'm ready to get off and stretch. I do find the FZ1 easier to drive fast than my previous FZ6 due to having more power on tap.

Last edited:
was it the efi model or carbs ? i haven't ridden a efi model fz1 yet, but the carbed model i rode was sooooo smooth. not quite honda (vfr) smooth, but very nice. never felt like i needed to rev it, good bottom end grunt.

more stable on a windy day too. terrible wind protection compared to the stock fz6 + laminar lip. i mean horrid.

the one i rode also had 1" up/back risers on the bars, soft grips and doughnuts that isolated -all- of the vibrations. i'm doing that, now.

after updating to highway pegs, isolating grips, and bar risers, it's going to rock !

oh, just remembered, the fz1 is considered a liter bike on my insurance, so it would cost$450 more per year to insure. 3 years of joy = $1500 more expense over the fz6.

guys said he gets 35-45 mpg also. i believe so far i'm getting 50-65 depending. have to check. :)

haha i have the 06 fz6, my buddy has the 06 fz1, and i like how i have to shift less often on his bike cuz the power band is wider, BUT i thought the steering felt heavier and more porky. maybe just me, but the 6 is flickable:confused: he still beats me after 45mph............

I will not test ride one because I don't want to be tempted!

The FZ6 does everything better except cruise on the highway or accelerate down low.

my fz1 has significant mods and im netting 35-36 right now around town 33ish and it is super fun to ride. a friend has a stock fz6 and the 51-53 mpg is nice it definitely lacks in the HP department at nearly half the HP mine does but it is like riding a marsh mellow lol not bad if i wasnt too tall for it makes me feel all scrunched up at 6' and need to wring its neck to ride any where near the fz1 hell i lied anywhere near a regular 600cc bike.

z

z

I love my FZ1 - a lot more power available at lower rpms to move a big guy like me around.

I get 33-36 mpg on my normal drive, and ~40 highway. This to me isn't significantly worse than the 38 / 45 I was getting on the FZ6.

Back