Just when you thought you had seen all possible hazards...

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
It wasn't just like a leak that got worse...it was instantly all the oil was streaming out! :eek:

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
wonder if the oil filter was over tightened or somehow managed to come off

From the comments I think the drain plug likely came out completely. If the oil filter was loose at all it would have lost all the oil pretty quick before the filter came off completely.

With how many bike engines produce a lot of high frequency vibration it's very easy for lose bolts on the engine to walk out! Check your drain plug as part of your weekly bike check!

Last edited:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Looked like the plug came out. Remember while at RPM the PAN has allot of the oil in circulation so it didn't all dump out until she stopped then you see it; PuuUUUUUUKE!

OMG that tire was true SLICK!

MG-242

Reaction score
Visit site
That's not all that unusual. You see signs of it on the road every day. Just as much a problem with cagers. I've seen it on the track as well. Be sure to torque the filter and drain. If you're really paranoid, safety wire them or put a dab of silicon on them. Also, be sure you don't leave the "O" ring behind when you remove the oil filter. I saw an instance once where a new filter was installed over the old o-ring. It didn't leak immediately but did blow out two turns out on the track.

hattu345

Reaction score
Visit site
the two bikes seem to drive across the oil stain without trouble. how much oil on the road does it take to become dangerous?

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
the two bikes seem to drive across the oil stain without trouble. how much oil on the road does it take to become dangerous?

It's the bike that was leaking that is lucky to be upright...the rear tire was SOAKED in oil!

I would venture to guess that if there is enough oil in one spot to saturate the road surface completely in that spot then it would be dangerous if you hit it while leaned over at all.

MG-242

Reaction score
Visit site

It depends on the lean angle. I once heard a lead track school instructor said that a spot the size of a dime (about 18mm) could be a problem. Maybe. When leaned to max lean and asking a lot from your tires, it wouldn't take much to cause a slide. But, if the bike is pretty much straight up, it shouldn't be much of an issue until you need to turn. Kind of like driving in the snow or on ice. Everything is fine until you need to start using turning forces, or braking and acceleration forces.

Now with a soaked in oil rear tire, well, eventully you'll need to lean and only bad things are going to happen from there. :)

CowtownBiomed

Reaction score
Visit site
I sure hope they reported it to the road maintenace department, so they could get some absorb (kitty litter) on it and then sweep it up..
At least the line is quite dark and you can see it easily..
It sure would suck to be into it some and run into it..