Knocking sound out of 1st, new chain and sprockets?

Mta1981

Reaction score
Visit site
So yeah I seem to be tightening the chain a little more frequently and I've been getting that knocking sound coming 1st. Funny thing is this last time I tightened the chain I think I over-tightened it and I still hear the knocking. Its an 05 with 25k so its probably time. I've put over 5k on it myself since I got it back in march. I commute to work 30 miles one way, a good portion on highway. What would be the best gearing option for mpg. I've heard 17t in the front with stock rear is good? I'd appreciate input from all of you fz6 veterans :thumbup:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Over tightening a chain can ruin a chain very quickly as well as hurt the bearings on the output and wheel. Everything in the universe can stretch but those those that say to adjust a chain out of specification are not correct. Other wise we could also pre-expand the pistons and shrink the cylinder bores a little to allow for wear. :rolleyes:
Inspect chain at different points rotating the wheel to see if a specific area/s have more play that others. Your chain may be well stretched on some sections and others sections will be tighter. Links may be damaged and stiff while other links are normal. When the stiff links hit a certain spot entering or leaving the sprocket you may experience abnormal noise. You may need new sprockets and chain. You also may have other problems. :)

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on Cliffs post.

Check the tension with the chain at its tightest point. I've found about 2" up and down play is good... Don't go tighter than 1.77", the factory limit...

And yes, its been posted one tooth higher in the front brings the rev's down a bit, helps with mileage and will also get the speedometer almost dead on at the same time...

You should be able to stick with the 118 link chain. I'd be replacing the sprockets all at the same time as well as their likely due.. :thumbup:

Mta1981

Reaction score
Visit site
excellent info, thanks. only unfortunate thing is I have to ride it back to where i work to do the adjustments so I hope I dont cause alot of damage