LED light installation question

calebdoughty

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi, I have some new LED turn signals and the front 2 signal connectors have 3 wires on them and the back signals only have 2 wires. I installed the back 2 turn signals with no problem but the front ones are confusing me since the connectors have 3 wires and the new LED turn signals only have 2 wires.

Any help as to what or how to install these properly?

One wire will be ground, one will be the signal wire, and one is a running light. You'll need to find the ground and signal wire to make the new blinkers work. Just don't use the running light wires and tape them/seal them from the elements and you'll be fine!

Black wire and green wire for right signal.
Black wire and brown wire for left signal.

Blue wire on each side is the running light. If you're not using it tape it with electrical tape to keep it out of trouble.

Since your lights are LED you may get the reversed and they won't light. If this happens reverse the wires. :D

Black wire and green wire for right signal.
Black wire and brown wire for left signal.

Blue wire on each side is the running light. If you're not using it tape it with electrical tape to keep it out of trouble.

Since your lights are LED you may get the reversed and they won't light. If this happens reverse the wires. :D

Im not sure why or why not i would need to use the running light.

Im not sure why or why not i would need to use the running light.

Bikes are required to have running lights. It's the law but a lot of riders don't use running lights. I guess the law is for safety because the tail light/ running light circuit is fused separate from the headlamp circuit. I guess you might see the logic in that if the headlamps go out the running light will make you visible in the dark.

Bikes are required to have running lights. It's the law but a lot of riders don't use running lights. I guess the law is for safety because the tail light/ running light circuit is fused separate from the headlamp circuit. I guess you might see the logic in that if the headlamps go out the running light will make you visible in the dark.

Not sure about that, my Suzuki Vstrom does have running lights, just the headlights come on.

Not sure about that, my Suzuki Vstrom does have running lights, just the headlights come on.

Did you mean to say you Vstrom doesn't have running lights?

You may be right. Your bike has 2 headlamps that are normally lit. The FZ6 (faired version) doesn't. My Suzuki SV has running lights near the headlights. US requirements as well as state may be different for bikes sold here?

Did mean to say didn't. My first Vstrom was purchased in MN and it didn't have front running light either so wonder what the regulations say.

I bet your correct. Not required by law! Just a safety design. They probably did some study and bikes were more visible with the running lights. :D

In our state you have to have directional indicators and they must be a minimum of 9 inches apart.

Last edited:
In our state you have to have directional indicators and they must be a minimum of 9 inches apart.

Wonder how people are getting away with using the LED tail light with intergrated signals?
I tour alot in the States and take my motorcycle to Florida in the winter to visit my parents and was considering the LED tail light. :confused:

Wonder how people are getting away with using the LED tail light with intergrated signals?
I tour alot in the States and take my motorcycle to Florida in the winter to visit my parents and was considering the LED tail light. :confused:

Back