LED strips

IAMJUSTIFYD

Reaction score
Visit site
I said I wasn't going to splice any wires to get light but yeah...I am. I have 2 strips of led 12" long. I would like them to go towards the back to have more light in the rear. I haven't had a bike before with undertail exhaust. How hot does that get under there? Can I put the wire thru that little opening that's circled and tap the rear light under the seat? Any suggestions where I could put these where the wire won't get too hot?
View attachment 55524

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
It does get pretty warm under there, you risk melting the wire insulation. that silver cowl is lined with a silver heat shield so to the outside you wont burn yourself if you touch it. But underneath is the exhaust muffler and it gets hot.
Depending on where you want to run the leds, you might be better picking up power from under the seat/tank where you have room to include a fuse link so if your wiring does melt and short you will take out the fuse in the line and not your whole system.

2007Z6ALL-LED

Reaction score
Visit site
To increase the rear running lights, here what I added:
1. attach the two RED LED strip on the sides below handgrips
2. buy red LED reflector (2) and replace them with the rear red reflector
3. buy another red LED reflector, drill and assembly it on the rear fender below the license place

I was almost getting the integrated LED running/signal rear lights but what I found is the LED is not that bright so I just added more lights on the back wherever I could...so mine is like a moving christmas tree!

I will get some picture later for you to get an idea!

IAMJUSTIFYD

Reaction score
Visit site
I think I am going to get some dual filament signals for the back and put the LED strips up front somewhere. I do ride with small saddle bags sometimes and they will hide where I want to put the strips in the back. I may just go with the hyperlites.

erburtt

Reaction score
Visit site
I'd vote for the Hyperlites, Not only super bright and impossible to miss but they have pretty good customer service as well. I bought a set when I first got my bike, the control unit died this summer on me, They sent me a brand new one for free with no questions asked, it was even a better model than the one I initially bought.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'd vote for the Hyperlites, Not only super bright and impossible to miss but they have pretty good customer service as well. I bought a set when I first got my bike, the control unit died this summer on me, They sent me a brand new one for free with no questions asked, it was even a better model than the one I initially bought.

I agree with their customer service. On one of my pods, part of my pods burned out or stopped illuminating. They sent me a replacement immediately and I sent mine back in a package that they included which already included the postage. Also pretty easy to install, I'm not a wrencher and I'm horrible with wires, so If I can do it, anyone can. No wire splicing, comes with those twist pods where the wires just connect by inserting them into the plastic connectors.

I will have this accessory on my next motorcycle as well.

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the heads up on hyperfine folks. I placed an order late yesterday. They sound like the bees knees and the site visa are pretty good demo's. When I change my grab rail and new tail light it'll be LEDs for the lot. Now just have to find led lamps for the original indicators

my iPhone post using Tapatalk - sorry for any shpillong mishtooks i has fat fingies

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Think I'm gonna order the 16 Led Brake/running light and put above the plate. Thanks for the links to the lights!

That's what I have, you will not be disappointed. You should consider the license plate bracket, makes it real easy and clean install assuming you still have the stock rear fender.

IAMJUSTIFYD

Reaction score
Visit site
Where did you tap into the brake and running wires? Under the pod on the clutch side or under the seat? It should fit without the bracket? I'm not getting the signals, just the one piece.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't have the signals either. I already have led turn signals. I can't remember the wiring since it was over 6 years ago but I do recall removing the pod covers to get to the wires.

IAMJUSTIFYD

Reaction score
Visit site
On the pigtail from the battery. I keep blowing fuses on it. On all my other bikes I tested all kinds of lights and stuff with the pigtail and never blew a fuse. Seems like this one is sensitive On the pigtail itself: which is the + side and - side? Maybe I am hooking up these up opposite of what they should be. There is a 7.5 fuse in there and all I did was hook up the strip of LED lights, I don't think that should have blown it. It did the same thing when I was testing the HID lights before I installed them. It's a pain to get to that battery!

IAMJUSTIFYD

Reaction score
Visit site
I remembered this morning that while trying the Led strips out I had used some alligator clips one the pigtail cause I wanted to have the lights lit up while trying to see where I wanted them, that's when the fuse blew. That's also what I was using when trying out the HID bulbs was those same clips. Maybe something wrong with the clips? I dunno...

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
I added an additional brake-light under my stock one. Details here. You can now buy smoked ones that make better use of the white LEDs so they don't shine back as much. I've just ordered one to replace mine.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I remembered this morning that while trying the Led strips out I had used some alligator clips one the pigtail cause I wanted to have the lights lit up while trying to see where I wanted them, that's when the fuse blew. That's also what I was using when trying out the HID bulbs was those same clips. Maybe something wrong with the clips? I dunno...

Looks like you have a problem with how your testing your lights. LEDs will not light unless they are at the correct polarity. They will not blow a fuse if reversed polarity unless the LED is damaged and shorted. They will just not light.