Look what I have done to my bike today!

Baci

Reaction score
Visit site
Rode it to work for the second time this year!!!! :cheer:

Also ordered some new bar ends, frame slidders and windscreen bolts yesterday.......hopefully China is fast with shipping I cant wait for the goodies.

Ant1

Reaction score
Visit site
New Pilot Road 3's and new chain, left the sprockets as they still look good at 39,000 km.
While being fitted was chatting to manager about my dented tank
185655_10152407995850363_451182415_n.jpg

He estimated about $600 to repair and repaint.
He made a phone call and can source a replacement black tank for $300.
What do you reckon?

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
He estimated about $600 to repair and repaint.
He made a phone call and can source a replacement black tank for $300.
What do you reckon?

Given that the replacement is in good condition (no rust, able to swap gascaps), def go with that. Even fixed, dented tanks can still have leaks. And $300 is a lot of gas to put in that baby.

polydoc

Reaction score
Visit site
I took her shopping, applied rascal grafik tank knee grips, installed philips xtreme vision +100 bulbs, adjusted clutch and brake cables, stripped off all the reflectors and applied some reflecting tape in multiple places, put a strip of friction (grip) tape on my levers, plasti dipped (and sanded) a damaged left signal, drilled 3/4" holes in muffler, gave her a spray detail. cleaned the chain, debated over diffferent methods of making custom exhaust (straight pipes with y pipe and SS tips that fit in the stock shroud, flowmaster car muffler replacement of stock muffler, glass pack custom exhaust, etc). Rode the hell out of her, filled up her tank, took some pictures... and got several compliments while i was out of my bike and helmet (with ripsaw mohawk). In the next day or 2 I will be installing the comfort seat, iridium spark plugs, a yamaha swingarm sticker, and some mini blue reflectors as per my dads request. Other than that, not much.

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
debated over diffferent methods of making custom exhaust (straight pipes with y pipe and SS tips that fit in the stock shroud, flowmaster car muffler replacement of stock muffler, glass pack custom exhaust, etc).

As for the exhaust - what I plan on doing soon (it always seems to be "next weekend") is taking a pair of these (1.75 inlet, 3'' OD 9'' long glasspacks), some piping and the mounts from the stock exhaust and fabricating my own Y pipe. It's my belief that two of these will fit inside the stock shroud, that way I won't have to worry about my welds looking like **** or the pipe rusting/finishing it.

Thoughts on that?

polydoc

Reaction score
Visit site
As for the exhaust - what I plan on doing soon (it always seems to be "next weekend") is taking a pair of these (1.75 inlet, 3'' OD 9'' long glasspacks), some piping and the mounts from the stock exhaust and fabricating my own Y pipe. It's my belief that two of these will fit inside the stock shroud, that way I won't have to worry about my welds looking like **** or the pipe rusting/finishing it.

Thoughts on that?

That is essentially my exact plan, though i can't fabricate my own y pipe i was gonna just have a shop do it. But those glasspacks seem like they should fit in the stock shroud keeping it clean looking and giving it a sleeper look. Sure would be cheaper than name brand pipes and i don't see why it wouldnt perform as well as the expensive cans. Another thing I was thinking of was having the shop run a pipe up (no mufflers) and into a y pipe and running dual pipes with SS tips (that fit in the shroud, protruding just a bit for looks) just like you would do on your car or truck essentially. but I dont want turn this into a straight pipe debate or anything just seemed like it wouldn't be all that hard to have done. But I agree with your idea with the glasspacks. would be very cheap and effective i think. Keep us posted if you go through with it and I'll do the same!

CADMAN

Reaction score
Visit site
polydoc and lawlberg,

It's been done before. Do a search for phrank2k11's thread. I made a set of CAD drawings with his approval, though in the move to AZ, I lost the files someplace in cyberspace.

darth47

Reaction score
Visit site
Haven't seen my bike in a week, have 3 more weeks before I leave this platform and go home to Shirley (my Bike :D )...

polydoc

Reaction score
Visit site
polydoc and lawlberg,

It's been done before. Do a search for phrank2k11's thread. I made a set of CAD drawings with his approval, though in the move to AZ, I lost the files someplace in cyberspace.

Thanks that is alot like I was imagining. Any thoughts on running straight pipe-> y pipe-> dual pipes with chrome/SS tips? not thoughts on the sound but on whether its been done or if it seems like it would work. Also, If i were to do such a thing, anyone know what size the pipes should be??

elus1ve

Reaction score
Visit site
View attachment 48616

This is what I did to my bike - I painted my belly pan to match the blue color of my Fz. It was previously a lighter blue (I think for a 2009 model) and the mismatch was ugly! Looks so much better now.

View attachment 48617

I also painted my gas tank cap black. Looks mean. Why am I painting bit and pieces of my bike? That's because FinalImpact has been purposely seeding the idea in my brain :spank:

:BLAA:

Monica A

Reaction score
Visit site
I rode Valentino (that's my bike's name - VR46):cheer: last night to dessert with the hubbie. Only my third time riding in the dark. Fun! but different. Riding out today with hubbie and son. Hopefully to my favorite ride - Quincy-Oroville Highway.

Monica A

Reaction score
Visit site
Update: We rode to Jackson Meadows which is about 80 miles from here. Mix of superslab, highway, and forest service road. I wish California could make a nice smooth road, but what you expect... When we hit the forest service road, we pulled over and played musical bikes. Big Daddy (my husband) rode my FZ6, Sonny Boy (our son) rode the new-to-us 1986 VFR750, and I rode Sonny Boy's SV650S. Nice!!!! First time I rode it. The position took a little getting use to but the torque was easy to get use too. No matter what gear I was in, I rolled on the throttle and it took off. OH YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!! On the way back, we switched bikes again. Sonny Boy on FZ6, Big Daddy on SV650s, and me on the VFR750. Fun but in a different way. This was my second time riding it. First time I couldn't find the pegs at first. So much higher than my FZ6. Shifts gear super easy. Hard to believe it is 26 years old - and it's all factory original, except upgraded exhaust. Rode the FZ6 on the superslab. I kept up with the other two easily. Big Daddy and Sonny Boy agreed my FZ6 was the most comfortable to ride. I figured out how to use the throttle lock too. Comfy.

Keep on Ridin....