Looking at a used FZ6

Pinolito13

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm looking into a 2006 Yamaha FZ6. Mileage is 55,0000. The bike looks good and sounds great although dropped once and has two small dents in the tank. Is this considered high mileage? should I be worried about the dents in the tank the current owner say he made from squeezing his knees too tight on the tank while riding aggressively? Is that even possible?? The bike has a few upgrades and is beautiful other than the small cosmetic scratch from the drop. Will these small dents (about he size of a small fist) effect the bike? This is my first street bike so I'm not to worried if its a little cosmetically damaged it i do want a safe bike. He wants 2400. I this a good deal?

aclayonb

Reaction score
Visit site
You might have trouble finding someone that "will" make a decision on whether or not it's a good deal based on that info. Only time will tell if it's a good deal. 55k and it's got cosmetic issues? 2006? It's almost a decade old, it's been dropped or banged on, has been regularly ridden aggressively and has "high mileage"?

I wouldn't say whether it's a good deal or not but I would leave myself money to fix anything I found wrong with it. Only worth $1500-1800 to my wallet.

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
I'd be more worried about the guy who rides it so aggressively that he dents the tank then the mileage. That said a 06 with that much miles I would think 2000 and with what we know about the owner's riding style I'd say 1800 tops.

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've squeezed hard enough to dent a tank during "aggressive driving", but it wasn't my knees... Blah
Wish you lived closer, I could sell you my immaculate '07 with 25,000 for only a grand more. ;)

Pinolito13

Reaction score
Visit site
The guy basically said he rides in the canyon and long distances and here in southern cal I haven't found anything else that cheap for that type of bike. He has never dropped it, the previous guy did doing 20mph. So should I scrap the deal? I'm still learning about bike so trying to avoid a major mistake and want to hear it from you guys

ChanceCoats123

Reaction score
Visit site
If he has maintenance records, I would be more interested. But multiple valve clearance checks should have been done ALREADY on that bike. Serious issues can occur if the valves aren't kept in check during the life of the motor.

Just make sure all of the important maintenance has been done.

Pinolito13

Reaction score
Visit site
He did say the valves had been checked. Is there any other major maint I should search for in the maint records?

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I've squeezed hard enough to dent a tank during "aggressive driving", but it wasn't my knees... Blah
Wish you lived closer, I could sell you my immaculate '07 with 25,000 for only a grand more. ;)

I'll keep that in mind, I know of a rider who's looking for a bike here in Boysee.