Looking to get an Fz6 but need to know what to look for

fzsixx

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey everyone im not an owner yet of an FZ6 but the more i read and hear about these incredible machines the more i want one!!! Right now i sit on a 1976 Triumph Bonneville and its a cool weekend rider but i want something a little quicker and alot more reliable. There are alot of Fazers for sale in my area promlem is im not really sure what to watch out for when looking at a used bike. So my question is what are some things to look at when looking at a used bike? how do you tell if the forks are bad? or the oil has not been changed regularly etc..? you catch my drift? Any input would be greatly appreciated thanks alot in advance guys and i hope to be the proud owner of one here very shortly... -Matt

Welcome!

Ideally, find one for sale on this forum. The user's posts will give you a good history on the treatment of the bike.

Saving that, the physical appearance is a great indication. Cleanliness, signs of abuse, chain condition, oil color, etc.

If you go with your gut, ask maintenance questions, why selling, and use common sense, you can't go wrong as there aren't really any serious issues with the bike. What year(s) are you looking for?

I think there are a couple of things you want done on older (pre-2006) models (TPS update, swingarm nut). Note... I'm just guessing on this. If you are looking for one of these models, ask for more information. 2007+ had a few improvements.

Things that are normal:
N->1st clunk
1st-2nd clunk, notchy/unforgiving trans
Touchy throttle
High vibration/buzz
Giant smile while riding
Low streetable power under 7k, ludicrous speed above 8

Things that are normal:
N->1st clunk
1st-2nd clunk, notchy/unforgiving trans
Touchy throttle
High vibration/buzz
Giant smile while riding
Low streetable power under 7k, ludicrous speed above 8

I'll 2nd all the above. I bought mine brand new, and was a little worried with the trans...specially going into 2nd. But after reading I felt more comfortable. It was also an adjustment for me coming off a gs500F clutch to this one. theres not as much room for play.(not a bad thing, just for more aggressive riding) I've noticed just within the 700 miles i've put on her, the trans has smoothed some already. I dont feel like a noobie shifting into 2nd anymore!

hey thanks guys all that info helped a ton now i cant wait to start shopping. Were do i go on this site to see the bikes people have for sale??

Back