lost power while riding. help

Sethrich89

Reaction score
Visit site
My bike is acting funny, I was riding down the road and it lost power, not complete shutdown but the gas seemed to not work it and would not go above 2000 rpms I lowered the gear down to 1st and it still wouldn't go anywhere just slowed to a stop. lowering the gears did nothing.... Then it cut off and wouldn't start up. No clicking or anything. I tried wiggling some wires but nothing. after I was about to put on the trailer I tried it again and it started up and ran fine.
Any ideas where to start?
Also a couple times before it wouldn't start up but all I had to do was turn the key off and turn it back on and the starter button worked.
2007 11k miles

thank you in advance for any help

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Are there instrument cluster lights or readout displayed? Sounds like your charging system may have failed..

Sent from Moto's Motorola

Sethrich89

Reaction score
Visit site
No error codes or noticeably anything different on the display. I dont know what clusters are but no error lights are on. Im scared its gonna happen a long way from home if I dont do it.

Sethrich89

Reaction score
Visit site
Like the button was broke. Display and everything else was normal. No clicking or anything. Turned the key on and off a couple times and it started up. It worked fine.

vb7prog

Reaction score
Visit site
I would try jiggling the red kill switch while the bike is running and see if you can reproduce the error.

If red kill switch seems solid, could be failing kickstand switch, if it cuts out switch to neutral and try to start it back up and if it comes right back up could be kickstand switch.

Sethrich89

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok I rode it to store and let it title when I came back. It cut off, this Tim gas was everywhere the gas line came loose. So I plugged it back in and it started right up. I had to mess with the orange clip for a few mins to get it on... idk if its on right or what its for. .. but I drove off and it cut off 100 yards down the road. I noticed the fuel pump isn't switching on. There is no noise like normal when i turn the switch. So ?
And the fuel pump did turn on the first time after I replied the fuel line.

Sethrich89

Reaction score
Visit site
Just went and started it up just fine fuel pump cut on too. Then held the throttle while in neutral at 3500 rpm for 15 seconds or so and let the throttle go and the bike cut off. And fuel pump isn't turning on when I turn the key.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
When you lifted the tank, you likely pulled the wire harness from the pump (which isn't hard to do).

If that fuel line just popped off (did you do any work under the tank prior to that) it was loose to start with. That would explain the on/off issue, it was not getting fuel although the pump was working..

Gently raise the tank again. I use a long paint mixing stick that fits perfectly to hold the tank up. DO NOT stretch the tank fully back, that's how wires get pulled, fail.

Check the connectors and that the wires are fully in the connector. You check for voltage while its up. When you turn the key on initially, you should get power (12 volts) from the harness..

Sethrich89

Reaction score
Visit site
I let it run today till it cut off. I flipped the kill switch a couple times and it started again. So maybe the fuel line coming off was just a coincidence. Not a symptom.
So now should I bypass the kill switch for now?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site