Lubing your throttle cables

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have always felt to mechanically inept to have a go at this but tonight whilst doing my clutch cable I thought, “Well it isn’t raining I’ll give it a go.
I had not had any issues at all with sticky throttle. The results were very surprising. If you have not done this and ride in the wet. Get your spanners out.
Unscrew throttle twist grip casing (expert me, at terminology)
cee00419.jpg

68ef6ef1.jpg

Notice the rust in there OMG.
Three screws all told holding the twist grip on to the bar.
7491d777.jpg

5fee0658.jpg

I was totally shocked by how rusty it was.
Remove bar end; I suppose this should be done first.
0ab983ca.jpg

Slide bar off
c5fc9b32.jpg

84f95077.jpg

I cleaned the rust off with WD40 and then greased it. It will need several cleans before it is back to anyway near its original condition.
Pop the throttle out and push the cables through. Yamaha have designed this brilliantly. They obviously had me in mind. I got mixed up with the opening cable and the closing cable. They can only go back one way though.
Use the cable grove as a guide to lubricate down. Initially I was unable to pull the cable through but after a few minutes the oil penetrated.
cb73cc59.jpg

Last edited:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Do this with both cables for a good few minutes. Then re-align the cables back into the housing.
c5fc9b32.jpg

38c9c155.jpg

Once this is done it’s a bit fiddly putting the cables back into the twist grip jobbie. I personally found it easier to do the throttle closing cable first.
Once the cables are back in, reassemble the twist grip housing.
c0d9d3ca.jpg

Don’t forget to lube the cables that sit on the left side of the frame below the clutch cable. This can be best done by opening and closing the throttle at the same time.
530423ed.jpg

I used a canula on my oil can to give me an accurate sploging of oil
043d118f.jpg

Again this job gets a two beer difficulty rating
029.jpg

029.jpg

Nelly

Last edited:

oldfast007

Thread Killer
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thank you for the great write up!

That was ugly indeed, I'm liking the beer rating, this should be a new standard on all "how to" threads.:thumbup:

ant_mb

Super *********
Reaction score
Visit site
Seeing those pics got me thinking. My FZ has sit outside for over 2 years so I thought for sure it'd would be even worse that yours. Here's what I found.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Seeing those pics got me thinking. My FZ has sit outside for over 2 years so I thought for sure it'd would be even worse that yours. Here's what I found.
Ah you must have rain lite lol. My bike is a 2005 and I have had it for two years. The previous owner must never have put it under cover. My bike is wet with fresh rain water about 60% of the time.
You obviously have a wonderful climate.

Nelly

ant_mb

Super *********
Reaction score
Visit site
Ah you must have rain lite lol. My bike is a 2005 and I have had it for two years. The previous owner must never have put it under cover. My bike is wet with fresh rain water about 60% of the time.
You obviously have a wonderful climate.

Nelly

I do cover it most of the time, but it sees it's fare share of water. Thanks for your post though. My cables are now smooth as butter.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I do cover it most of the time, but it sees it's fare share of water. Thanks for your post though. My cables are now smooth as butter.
No worries ant,
I am delighted that your bars are in show room nick. I really enjoyed doing the work, I spent three and a half hours just cleaning, lubing and tightening bits.
Since we have been in Ireland I have that priceless comodity..............time. Its great.
Cheers

Nelly