Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
squids :rof:

Hey Cliff, you ride that R1 like a Vtwin :D Love the sound... nice vid!

Yes, It's all down hill and don't need that much from that motor to push it to speed. It's got torque and you'll have a tendency to treat it like a twin except the motor produces very impressively through most of the RPM range. Winding up or down is a different experience than any twin or I4 I've ever ridden because of the lack of torque inertia. These motors are easy to redline because the lower note the motor makes sounds like you're at a lower RPM as compared to an I4 but in actuality your RPM is higher than it sounds. The sound, in the video you're hearing, is the vibration through the fuel tank and the bike sounds more like a little chevy smallblock with a street cam. The motor's stroke has been shortened from previous generations as well and so they enlarged the bore. It has tall gearing and so launching requires more clutch ride out of the hole if you don't want to chug and this motor chugs like a twin from the gitgo but the similarity ends there. From what I am am gleaning from R1 forums, these motors can have clutch and auto cam tensioner problems that are supposed to be soon addressed by Yamaha. I'm thinking some of the problems are rider error. I still keep an ear out and I tend to baby it a little in it's infancy. Pretty much all bikes some have specific character flaws and work arounds.
The more I ride and get to know it the more I like it. Also my body seems to be getting much more used to the different riding position.
All in all I think Yamaha did something great with this bike and the motor reminds me of Povarotti singing "Nessun Dorma" but in Japanese!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VATmgtmR5o4"]YouTube- Pavarotti - Nessun Dorma[/ame]

Last edited:

ADVdrming

Superstar
Reaction score
Visit site
That's awesome guys, wish I could have made it out there with y'all

CKY: Glad you're okay man.

BTW, the red stripes on the back fender, what did you use for that? They look really nice.

CKY

Charlie don't surf!
Reaction score
Visit site

BTW, the red stripes on the back fender, what did you use for that? They look really nice.

Thanks, I used 1/4 red pinstriping i got off ebay.
Here's the link to the one i bought.

1/4" x 150ft Vinyl Sign Pinstripe Pinstriping Tape Roll - eBay (item 300370272664 end time Mar-23-10 09:02:59 PDT)

10.24 for a 150 foot roll, enough so can f***up as many times as you want or pinstripe the whole bike if you dare.:D

Pinstriping just takes a steady hand, an eye for detail, and little imagination. :ban:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

Keep an eye out for us on a ride! We'll post it here...
Yeah that stripe job looked cool!

CKY (Alex) did a great commando roll and was safe! That's the most important part on any trip. Everyone makes it home safe. The at least 60-70 mph gusts caught me off guard on Weds. when I was turning around on Montezoooma. I was stopped on a large sand shoulder and the gust caught me sideways and I went down. :eek: Nothing but sand for my foot to slide on. Lucky just a scuff on my mirror and slider.

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
Looks like you all had a good time... too bad the weather didn't hold up as well as hoped. At least the commando roll was at low speed and no one got hurt. Hope to make it out next time guys.

CKY

Charlie don't surf!
Reaction score
Visit site
Keep an eye out for us on a ride! We'll post it here...
Yeah that stripe job looked cool!

CKY (Alex) did a great commando roll and was safe! That's the most important part on any trip. Everyone makes it home safe. The at least 60-70 mph gusts caught me off guard on Weds. when I was turning around on Montezoooma. I was stopped on a large sand shoulder and the gust caught me sideways and I went down. :eek: Nothing but sand for my foot to slide on. Lucky just a scuff on my mirror and slider.

Yeah, getting home safe IS the most important part. My Dainese G2 Wave back protector saved me from any injury. Absolutely the best 45 bucks I've spent for any riding gear.
Don't want to think what would have happened without one. Rolling on gravel and possibly ROCKS doesn't sound like fun to me.

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes, It's all down hill and don't need that much from that motor to push it to speed. It's got torque and you'll have a tendency to treat it like a twin except the motor produces very impressively through most of the RPM range. Winding up or down is a different experience than any twin or I4 I've ever ridden because of the lack of torque inertia. These motors are easy to redline because the lower note the motor makes sounds like you're at a lower RPM as compared to an I4 but in actuality your RPM is higher than it sounds. The sound, in the video you're hearing, is the vibration through the fuel tank and the bike sounds more like a little chevy smallblock with a street cam. The motor's stroke has been shortened from previous generations as well and so they enlarged the bore. It has tall gearing and so launching requires more clutch ride out of the hole if you don't want to chug and this motor chugs like a twin from the gitgo but the similarity ends there. From what I am am gleaning from R1 forums, these motors can have clutch and auto cam tensioner problems that are supposed to be soon addressed by Yamaha. I'm thinking some of the problems are rider error. I still keep an ear out and I tend to baby it a little in it's infancy. Pretty much all bikes some have specific character flaws and work arounds.
The more I ride and get to know it the more I like it. Also my body seems to be getting much more used to the different riding position.
All in all I think Yamaha did something great with this bike and the motor reminds me of Povarotti singing "Nessun Dorma" but in Japanese!

I was just messing with you bro... with that much power on tap you obviously will never really use it on the streets... especially going at around 60mph down a twisty mountain road...

Another reason for you to join us in 2 weeks at the track (Willow Springs April 3rd!!!) so you can really enjoy that engine! :BLAA:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Cliff:

Around 3:30, the bike in the very front...was that someone from our group?

No. I believe that was one of the 2 bikes ( 1 red & 1 Yellow Ducati) on Palomar that passed us going up South Grade earlier. John and I wanted to pass him on Montezoooma but the rider seemed to not be as courteous (wave us on) as we were to him when John and I wanted to pass. So we just held back on the side of safety and stayed our position. You can see John and I slow down and just stick it out. Regardless, this is why I like riding with responsible friends. We didn't have to prove anything.
Right now is "Spring Bloom" in the desert. The traffic is heavy on Monty Zooma and that also adds to the factor of someone being out of a lane because of heavy gusting winds etc.
I have to thank Cali rider(John) on his call for us to vacate and head off that road. :rockon:

Also thank you Westgoingzax (Alex) for organizing and heading up this ride. Great job! :rockon:

ADVdrming

Superstar
Reaction score
Visit site
My Dainese G2 Wave back protector saved me from any injury. Absolutely the best 45 bucks I've spent for any riding gear.

I'm really happy with my G2 as well, but I think I picked it up for a little more that $45. I thought it was more like $60 or $80 over at Cycle Gear in Vista.

Pinstriping just takes a steady hand, an eye for detail, and little imagination.

Well, in that case, I guess that puts me out of the picture... :BLAA: Thanks for the info!

Seriously though, I picked up some 3M red reflective scotchlite, I think it's 1/2" width. Figured, you can never have too much reflective stuff on ya, as long as it's a decent color. I got the black '09 FZ6 like Westgoinzax's (Alex), so the red stripes on black will look awesome I think, your bike being a good example.

Found some black 3M scotchlite uncut sheets too, I plan to do some nice cuts to go on my black helmet. Now all I need is to feel artisty :rolleyes:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I was just messing with you bro... with that much power on tap you obviously will never really use it on the streets... especially going at around 60mph down a twisty mountain road...

Another reason for you to join us in 2 weeks at the track (Willow Springs April 3rd!!!) so you can really enjoy that engine! :BLAA:

I wish I could go but I won't be able to. We missed you on the ride!