Michelin Pilot Road 2's or 3's - Revisit

Michelin Pilot Road 2's or 3's

• Michelin Pilot Road 2's (I've only tried 2's)

Votes: 49 51.6%
  • Michelin Pilot Road 2's (I've tried 2's and 3's)

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • Michelin Pilot Road 3's (I've only tried 3's)

Votes: 37 38.9%
  • Michelin Pilot Road 3's (I've tried 2's and 3's)

Votes: 7 7.4%

• Total voters

YZF73

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey everyone,

Found the original thread on this from earlier this year and thought it might be a good idea to have another go, would be interesting to see if anyone’s opinions have changed as the PR3's have been out a little while now.

Thank you in advance for taking part.

Yamahaboyz

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've only tried 2s and they are outstanding. 3s scare me because if I'm not mistaken we've still not heard the resolution of the case where new set of 3s disintegrated for no good reason.

06fiz600

Reaction score
Visit site
I've only tried the 3 but I've got 4500 on mine without signs of squaring off, still very sticky. I should see at least 8000 miles off this set. Of course, I only have the stock dunlops to compare to.

YZF73

Reaction score
Visit site
3s scare me because if I'm not mistaken we've still not heard the resolution of the case where new set of 3s disintegrated for no good reason.

Hadn't heard about this before now, a little bit worrying to say the least, got the feeling this will be the main reason I end up going for the 2's.

Thank you for your input Erci

Last edited:

mxgolf

Motoup
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've only got 3500 on the PR3's and so far love them. They seem to be wearing great and have good grip. I think they are more for all weather riding due to the tread pattern but have not rode in the wet but once so I really can't comment on that. I would like to hear from someone who has lots more miles on there's. Thanks,

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Grouse

Reaction score
Visit site
In the wet PR3's are awesome I now have 500+ miles on mine over half in the wet. Never had the front wheel lock up even under very hard breaking in the wet. The only time the rear lost grip was under hard accelerating in 1st and crossing a wet centre line.

ChadK_FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I have to decide which to get myself. I am worried that if I get the 2's when it is time too replace the rear again they wont be available so I think i will go with the 3's

Patok

Reaction score
Visit site
It weird what happened to that set of PR3's that "blew up". But, have that happened to any other set of PR3s?
Not a single PR2 has come out deffectively never ever?

I'm about to get a front and rear PR3. My guess is, or at least hoping, that set of bad tires and for sure unpleasent episode was a one-time only.
Both rubbers cost me about 650 dollars here in Argentina, so I hope they'd better come out good!

First set after the stock BT020's, so I'm pretty excited to get them :D

S

Shamus McFeeley

I had 2 (3?) sets of PR2s before I switched to the PR3. I put them on a week before I went on a 2500 mile trip, haven't had a problem with them yet.

ChadK_FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Had my PR3's installed for a few days and well over 100 miles. Love them!

I had a mismatch set from the previous owner with an Avon rear and a Pilot Power Front. Bike rides smooth, grip is great, cant wait for the rain :eek:

cap'n

Reaction score
Visit site
I put my current set of Road 2's on at the beginning of this season, with 35k miles on the bike. I commute 2 hours a day on a 50/50 mix of 80mph straights and 45mph twisties, 8 months of the year. Bike is a 2007 with 43k miles on it now, full set of givis, rider weighs 115 lbs, tire pressure is always up near the max.

Previous tires and their mileages:

1. Bridgestone Whatevers (stock)... 0 - 9,500 miles (did not like these tires at all)
2. Metzeler Z6... 9,500 - 24,500 miles (loved these tires)
3. Metzeler Z6 Interracts... 24,500 - 35,000 miles (not as good as the plain Z6, much easier to slip on the exact same crosswalk paint, not as good in the wet, wore quicker, noticeably worse when leaned WAY over)
4. Michelin PR2... 35,000 - 43,500 (and counting)

The PR2's are the best tires I've had, hands down. I can afford to order new tires now before I have to put it away, but there's no point, they've got another 3 or 4k in them. MUCH better in hard corners, way easier to drag pegs with these tires. They do still slip on crosswalk paint in the rain, but it's usually predictable, and nothing grips well on that sh_t. Never slid the front tire under braking, wet or dry. I cannot imagine what another set of tires could do better, to be honest. I like to try something new every time, but it will be difficult to pass up another set of these if it's still an option.

bane

Boss
Reaction score
Visit site
Please review this video. I found this quite enough to make my decision

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KA2F7B0VSgM&feature=related]Michelin Pilot Road 3 - Teste de Frenagem - YouTube[/ame]