Michelin PR3s or Metzeler Roadtec Z8 Interact?

jcombs

One day at a time...
Reaction score
www.jaredsbook.com
I've narrowed my tire choices down to 2... I'm hoping you guys can help me pick between these. They are almost exactly the same price.

zacbkennedy

Reaction score
Visit site
ive been readin a lot of reviews on the metzeler tires and im getting bad reviews mostly theat they dont last long at all and require more replacements than oil changes. I'm getting great reviews on the pilots though

CBRF3RIDER

Reaction score
Visit site
I am going with the PR3s as soon as
my stockers are shot (soon). They seem to have the best feedback both online and in the shop.

EDIT: by soon I guess I mean this weekend! Went for a long ride today and came back to find my rear on the wear bars!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

gstephen70

Reaction score
Visit site
Funny you should ask. I am deciding myself and from everything I've read, I am going with the older model PR2. Hence, I would, if I were you, opt for the PR3. Like already noted, you'll change Metz before you change your fluids. Not good.

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Metzeler Z8's....... Saying they wear out before your oil is just lying !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I use them on an XJR1300 & get 22000k's out of the front & 18000 out of a rear & nobody can complain about that :thumbup:

gstephen70

Reaction score
Visit site
The reason I said the Metz wear quickly, my friend, well actually in my MC, just bought the new 2011 which came outfitted with Metz tires. He got one season out of them. He's 42, and an orthodontist. So it isn't like he's burning through them. Actually got 5,600 miles before they both needed to be changed.

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The reason I said the Metz wear quickly, my friend, well actually in my MC, just bought the new 2011 which came outfitted with Metz tires. He got one season out of them. He's 42, and an orthodontist. So it isn't like he's burning through them. Actually got 5,600 miles before they both needed to be changed.
LOL, does it matter that he's an orthodentist? Like it is impossible for him to ride the thing hard?

Sorry, just made me laugh :D

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
He's 42, and an orthodontist

Well, I do the Freddy Mercury tribute show, and am a full-time hetrosexual, and I got 120 000kms out of mine!

Average THAT out!

LOL!

Cheers,
Rick

EDIT: Not really, I haven't even TRIED the Z8, but Humpy says they're good, so that'll do me!

Last edited:

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah I am still conflicted between the PR3's and the Z8's,
both seem to be doing what I want, stick like sh!t to blanket in the wet,
both have a their own bad rap, the Z8's for supposed early wear and the PR3's for the de-lamination ( which has only really been raised the once, in earlier posts/threads)
The PR's have a good ancestry with the 2's getting almost universal praise.
And then there is the word of respected members Humpy and Kazza, who swear by the Z8...
and then my bloody mechanic starts on about the Pirelli Angels to get me confused again
all I know is that before the really shocking wet winter we are due for, sets in, I want new rubber, to suit my regular commute, the occassional weekend run and my round about average 6000kms per year

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Every set of Pirellis I have had have indeed stuck like the proverbial - but they don't give good mileage. (nice soft, sticky rubber)

The PR3s are supposed to have better wet weather performance than the PR2s due to the inclusion of the water wells in the tread. (the only reason for the PR3s)

As I've said - the Z8s are an unknown quantity for me, but as Humpy gives them such praise, and they get such outstanding mileage, they're definitely on my shortlist.

Think of it as the Z8s are an evolution on the Z6s, and the PR3s are an evolution on the PR2s. Although I've never heard of poor wet weather performance with the PR2s, I know the reasoning given for the PR3s was improved wet weather performance.

Gotta love the dual compound idea though - firm in the middle, where a majority of the riding is done, and nice and sticky on the sides, for premium grip.

Both Metzler and Michelin (the makers of the Z8 and PR3) are utilising this technology, albeit in different ways.

Cheers,
Rick

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
ok the pirellis are out (again), it might be the Z8's as the sipes in the PR3's apparently will cause little bumps in the wear if the tyre is not inflated to spec?????
Banking on any others experience to lend weight either way
thanks all

turbid

Reaction score
Visit site
well about the metzelers wearing fast is pure boll****. i have the racetec k3 (i think its metzelers equivalent of michelin's power pure racing tyres) fitted to my fz, and they are on 10,000 km mark now both front and rear ( i dont race or stress the tyres im a fairly mellow rider so the racetecs are overkill for me but anyway i fancy grip over mileage). the rear has just started squaring slightly nothing serious and the front looks as good as new.

might be that most of our road surface is fairly slick and shiny and so the rubber does not 'dig' into the surface, but sorta floats over it.

if the racetecs last this mileage i think the z8 should eat them for breakfast mileage wise - at least on the type of roads i ride

CBRF3RIDER

Reaction score
Visit site
I just had PR3s put on Saturday and so far I am very pleased. Ive only put about 200 miles on them so far so I can't give too much of a review yet. Much, much better than stock (obviously). Only experience I had with Metzler were the Sportec M3s I used on my CBR and ZX6R. Fantastic tires but are not in the same category as the PRs. I will say the PR3s seem to be really stable both in corners and on the freeway. Plenty of grip and feel. The only bad thing I've noticed is that they seem to be very loud. I've never had tires howl like this before lol. Anyone else notice this? Maybe it's a side effect of the sipes?

Last edited:

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
My PR2 front is getting near replacement time so is interesting to read all this. Will probably go with a PR3 front but have thought about getting another PR2. To me the real improvement of the PR3 is the wet traction and the PR2 has been great. The PR2 does cup a little at the end of it's life - think it is due to the dual compounds wearing differently plus the way the leading edges of the blocks wear different from the trailing edges.

CBRF3RIDER

Reaction score
Visit site
Wet traction is actually why I chose the 3s over the 2s. From what I've heard it's almost like having a set of wet racing tires!

D

Dave.TX

I considered both the PR3 and Z8 but wound up with a Bridgestone BT-023 rear tire. Put about 250 miles on it this weekend and even rode in a little rain Sunday. Not a problem. It was a noticeable upgrade from the Shinko 011 Verge it replaced. Just sayin'.

It was funny seeing this thread and reading the first couple of posts, knowing it was only a matter of time before Kazza and Humpy interjected. I know they're big proponents of the Z6 and Z8. Ain't nuttin' wrong with Metzeler tires, very good German made. And the PR2/3 also get excellent reviews. Don't think you can go wrong with either.

CBRF3RIDER

Reaction score
Visit site
I pushed the PR3s hard in twisties for the first time during a group ride on Tuesday. They preformed fantastically for a sport touring tire! I really do not think you can go wrong with them