Michellin Pilot Power 3's

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I like the more aggressive tread pattern on the 3's versus the Pures, which are no longer being produced because of the 3's. Just installed the other day at 93,405 miles. A look at the front.

20131102_162029_zpsa289824e.jpg

A look back at the Pures front.

PureFront4.jpg

I have never experienced any cupping or squaring of tires from my Michellin's, which I have been running since replacing my OEM's many years ago.

20131023_175527_zpsed21c9b4.jpg

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
What mileage do you expect out of those, Kenny?

I mentioned that my mileage has been cut in half since I moved up here to Idaho. Different surface condition is the reason. More chip seal than concrete or asphalt. SO, I'm guessing 9-10k miles. My Pures were installed in Februrary of 2013, front already wore out, rear still good.

so these skins should be the ones on the bike when you click the big 100
Yes, at least for the front. For the first time, I decided not to change both tires. I had plenty of tread remaining on the rear, so it should last me through the winter.

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
My front got about 10,000 miles and maybe had 1,000 more to it. The rear I got 4,000 miles on the first tire and I followed the advice of the shop that suggested replacing prior to a 2,000 mile trip. Got 6,000 on the second rear and it had another 1,000 miles to it as well.

I loved these tires for the first 2-3,000 on them. Then they were satisfactory and not exciting.

Wildcat_drvr

Great-Grandpaw!
Reaction score
Visit site
Are those tires in the pictures 3s? My 3s have a very different tread on them.The front one is siped.Or am I confused and those are your old tires?Guess I need to go to bed!LOL! "Then they were satisfactory and not exciting". I find rain tires are the most exciting when it's raining!I LOVE them when its raining!

boarder4life81

Reaction score
Visit site
Tax refund is coming in soon and I'm going back and forth between the Roads and the Power's. I ride daily (rain or shine), mostly in-town, and try to get out to the woods on the weekends. Anyone have experience in comparing the two, especially on wet pavement?

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site
Tax refund is coming in soon and I'm going back and forth between the Roads and the Power's. I ride daily (rain or shine), mostly in-town, and try to get out to the woods on the weekends. Anyone have experience in comparing the two, especially on wet pavement?

The ROAD 3s are the best wet tire on the market to date.

The PR4s are out now and those might be even better, also the pirelli Angel GTs are supposed to be a good wet tire

bdevries

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a feeling that if every new generation tire improved as much as the manufacturer said so, we would have tires that absolutely STICK to the road and never slide by now. The truth is, they don't.. for the high high majority of people, the difference between the 2's and 3's is unnoticeable(that is, unless you're replacing old 2's with new 3's-obviously the new tire would be better than the old worn out one)

The PR4s are out now and those might be even better, also the pirelli Angel GTs are supposed to be a good wet tire

Motorrad in Germany actually ranked the angel GT above the PR3's. in fact, the pr3's came in behind the angel GT, metzeler z8, bridgestone T30, and conti road attack 2.

vr46fan

Reaction score
www.facebook.com
I have about 75 miles on a set of these, and I love them. Get some heat into them and they stick like glue. Between these and the fz1 bar, the bike feels much better in the corners. Definitely time to upgrade the front suspension.

The_Paragon

Thats right, Paragon!
Reaction score
Visit site

Iven been running a set of Pilot road 3's for the last 8,000 or so miles. Yes, theyre GREAT in the rain and great for the 95% of tour riding that I do. They're also wearing great and not flat spotting, even though most of my miles are in a straight line..
HOWEVER.. They feel like a squishy snow tire in the corners, which is a small % of my riding, not really glued to the road sort of thing.
All in all theyre great road tires,, just not that exciting of a tire.

I just fitted some Pilot Powers to my fiancee's bike.. now those really feel like sport tires in comparison to the pilot roads!

mrphotoman

Massive Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Iven been running a set of Pilot road 3's for the last 8,000 or so miles. Yes, theyre GREAT in the rain and great for the 95% of tour riding that I do. They're also wearing great and not flat spotting, even though most of my miles are in a straight line..
HOWEVER.. They feel like a squishy snow tire in the corners, which is a small % of my riding, not really glued to the road sort of thing.

I just fitted some Pilot Powers to my fiancee's bike.. now those really feel like sport tires in comparison to the pilot roads!

yeah i am not a fan of the Pilot Road tires at all, they really do not feel sporty at all in the curves.

The_Paragon

Thats right, Paragon!
Reaction score
Visit site
yeah i am not a fan of the Pilot Road tires at all, they really do not feel sporty at all in the curves.

I think its really coming down to the fact that theres so many choices of tires that we're able to buy a tire that really suits our needs. I think it great that I can go out and purchase some Pilot Power 3's and have a great sporty feeling bike, or I can go out and buy some Pilot roads that get great mileage life and do well in the rain.
Makes me wish I had another set of wheels to keep a sporty set of tires on for short fun rides and another set of wheels for a set of touring tires. Its be like owning 2 entirely different motorcycles!

Imagine how much it would suck if we were all stuck with a single type of tire!!

billy

Reaction score
Visit site

Hey there I was reading your post and was wondering if the Pilot Power 3's are a good touring tire as well as sporty? I do both so I want a tire that handles both well. Thanks

The_Paragon

Thats right, Paragon!
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey there I was reading your post and was wondering if the Pilot Power 3's are a good touring tire as well as sporty? I do both so I want a tire that handles both well. Thanks

I cant speak for the Pilot Power 3's. AFAIK, they are silimilar center tread compoud to the Pilot Power, but have some softer grippier compound on the sides of the tires. I'd assume that they wouldnt make the best touring tire..