Mirrors, Mirrors, Mirrors <sigh>

Kriswithak

Reaction score
Visit site
As Bikebiz said you need vision to the lanes on your left and right, a head check and moving your elbows will often give you more than enough vision behind you when necessary, but its important to be able to scan without actually moving to see whats around you, rather than directly behind you.
For the same reason its important to be aware so you know when cars move into and out of your blind spots, coupled with checking blind spots just to be sure :p

Azz

Angry Hornet
Elite Member
Reaction score
4zzdawg.com
I got a mirror extension bit for my bike because the thread in the original mount was cracked, and I couldn't see as well from the new location.

It's worked really well after I got everything re-adjusted.
I have a feeling they'd work really well if you needed them extended from stock for vision reasons.

rpereira

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for more replys, have you got any more pics Azz, like the front of the bike ? Just wondering how they affect the look of the bike :)

Thanks

Russell

Azz

Angry Hornet
Elite Member
Reaction score
4zzdawg.com
Thanks for more replys, have you got any more pics Azz, like the front of the bike ? Just wondering how they affect the look of the bike :)

Thanks

Russell

Sure thing.
Mine's a bit off because one mirror has one, and one doesn't (and the one with the extender is more to the center of the bike slightly.

chunkygoat

Reaction score
Visit site
Try gripping the very inside of the grips and tucking your elbows into your side. When I can't see out my mirrors, its usually because I'm gripping the bar end, and or my elbows are flared out.

Aside from the cosmetics (which i find the mirrors to be an eyesore), they work far more efficiently than mirrors I've experience on other bikes.

If this doesn't work for you, ebay has lots of cheap mirror options. I know others have said, although I have no experience with them), that bar end mirrors work well. They can give you just that inch or two clearance you may need to see around your arms.

You think the stock fz mirrors are bad, try an r6 or the ninja 650....you'd be better off swiveling your head 180 degrees to see behind you.

texcollect

Crotchety Old Fart
Reaction score
Visit site
I put a couple of small blind spot mirrors on the edge of the mirrors. By looking at these I can see if there is anything there and I can move my elbow in to see anything behind me in detail.

Also my jacket (Olympia voyager) has straps to cinch the sleeves in tight. If I forget to do this then the airflow into the vents of my jacket make it more dificult to see in the mirrors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
+1. A lot of my riding mates think that the mirrors need to show you what's behind you. Not the case. They need to show what's in the lane next to you and hopefully up to about 20m back in that lane. I'm talking without having to move yoru arms or head. Then with a quick arm/head movement you should be able to see as far back as you'd ever need.

But a car sitting 10m behind you in your lane will only be seen on a cruiser setup. In fact the last cruiser I rode, I could see a car behind me in the lane left of me, through my right mirror!

I came over a crest on my XS400 one day to find about 400m of traffic banked up from the lights to the bottom of the crest. No probs. Have to brake hard immediately but no dramas stopping in time if I brake hard. The car sitting 6 feet behind me didn't stand a chance though. Because I had useful mirrors on, without moving from my normal riding position I could see him there, and dove down between the last cars in the left and right lane. Stopped and turned my head in time to watch him plough into the car that was in front of me.....really hard.

I like being able to see behind me, and extending by 50mm doesn't look that bad IMHO and allows me to do just that.

I can see a car 20m behind me in the left lane through my right mirror.

rpereira

Reaction score
Visit site
Oooo thanks for that, was looking at Rizoma mirrors in the end but these look great, will show the g/f these to see if there are any she likes :)

What pricing is that in ? Euros ? So something that is 279,00 is 279euro?

Freemont

Reaction score
Visit site
Oooo thanks for that, was looking at Rizoma mirrors in the end but these look great, will show the g/f these to see if there are any she likes :)

What pricing is that in ? Euros ? So something that is 279,00 is 279euro?

If its me your quoting yeah i think to its pretty close to rizoma and i paid ridicoulus 58 euros for the small carbon look ego mirror. It would be something about 78 american dollars!:thumbup:

Kriswithak

Reaction score
Visit site
Nice stuff, looks like it would have more behind vision than the stock.
How much does it increase the width of the bike by, and can you get a right hand side one, or is it prevented by good ole Yamaha's reverse threading.

Reaction score
Visit site
I had the same problem with my broad shoulders with being able to see with the original Dumbo ears. Bought a set of Rizoma Circuit 743's which have been sweet, although a bit pricey. I can now see outside my forearms to both the lane next to me and behind easily. They are on the small side, but once you are used to them and know the area's you need to be looking at, they work a treat.

The other thing is that they look frickin awesome on the bike.....well at least I think so anyway.

picture.php

:D

JayJay

Reaction score
www.maverickrenegades.com
I had major issues adjusting mine...till i took it in for its first service. The guy who test rode it after must have noticed and adjusted them perfectly!

I have not moved them since.

I like the look of the bar end mirrors like the new ducati mottos have. Ya know the ones with the indicators built in?

Those or something like this:
http://www.easy-motorcycle.com/images/mirror2.jpg