Missing the FZ6

sixsix

Reaction score
Visit site
Well it's been about 10 months since I sold the fz6 and bought a '11 GSXR750 and I've been missing the 6 a lot lately. I guess I wanted to be one of the "cool kids" and get a super sport, but I'm not liking it as much as I thought I would. I mean yeah, it's fast as all holy hell and rides like it's on rails and all, but it also sucks on my 40 mile commute to work. In the first year of fz6 ownership I put just over 7k miles on the bike, and it's almost been a year and I don't even have 3k on the gsxr yet. The bike just doesn't match the type of riding that I do. I will admit that I did some ripping on some back roads today and it put a smile on my face, but when your stuck in stop and go traffic or when the road is less than perfect the smile quickly fades. Even after owning the bike all this time I still don't feel 100% comfortable on it. Like when making very slow speed turns, or quick u turns. I dunno a part of it just doesn't feel right. I just don't know what I should do...suck it up and keep riding it and hope it'll get better and I'll get used to it, or try to sell it and get the bike I was originally looking to get (ninja 1000 or z1000) I really just needed to vent I guess, and looking for some suggestions. Ultimately it's my decision, but it's nice to hear some other peoples take on it.

It sucks that a bike this good looking has me in a bind
972011.jpg

Xavias

Shenanigans.
Reaction score
Visit site
Ride what YOU like, not what you think everyone else will like.

After all, at the end of the day it's YOU riding it.

Just my $.02

FloppyRunner

Motorcycle Noooooooooooob
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for posting, I'm interested to hear it. I'm always entertaining the idea of a no compromises supersport but I have a feeling I take the comfort and useability of the FZ6 for granted...

Is the GSXR750 THAT much more fun in the twisties? I thought I remember hearing that the GSXR was one of the more comfortable supersports...

Toast

Reaction score
www.youtube.com
You know what...it's funny because I am in the exact dilemma with my bike. I rode a Honda 919 for a few months and sold it for a sporty bike, my F4i. Well...The 919 is what I enjoyed riding more, and the F4i just doesn't fit my riding style. Especially since I'm always commuting, and the riding position and torque of the 919 was a lot more fun and usable. So were in the exact same situation. I even racked up the miles on the 919 three times as fast as I'm doing now on my F4i.

But like everyone says, ride what makes you smile the most, ride what makes you the most happy. You wouldn't have known how you felt about riding a supersport until after you have done so. Now that you have, you can compare it to other bikes and what your riding style is really like. Get the bike you will enjoy riding the most, not what you think looks cool to other people. Needless to say, I'll be selling my sportbike for something more fitting to my riding style, and you will probably end up doing the same. Afterall, you'll be happier that way most likely.

bob808

Reaction score
Visit site
I was thinking of changing the FZ6 as well, like next year or so but after I put new tires and went for a short trip I decided that it does more than I could wish for! It can be fast, it can take me on nice trips, good and fun commuter and it looks sexy as well! Instead I decided to get a second bike :) Lookin for an older DR650 to restore and mod for "adventure" use in the future. Maybe a set of supermoto wheels... That way I can cover most of my biking needs :) I will never buy another sport bike again, it's fun but not for long. I see a supersport as a third bike in the garage, nothing more, sometime when I have everything I need ;) But this is for me, as I had my share of speed some years ago. I do not suggest this to be a fact, everyone has different views on these things. I think that it is best to be happy with what you have.

Philippe1985

Reaction score
Visit site
It is only a matter of money. But remember, life is too short do ride a bike that doesn't match your style. My brother had a ducati 696. He also sold it, because it really is not made to ride slow. It vibrates so much that your hands become numb and you really have to keep it above 3000rpm. I can't believe that they call that a starters bike...Ergonomics are really important. For example: I have 2 kinds of motorcycle boots. I have some racy looking boots(with all that plastic on it) and I have daytona's who are more touring orientated. Well, I don't use the racy boots anymore, because I don't feel comfy on it. So if boots can already make a difference, than there must be a big difference in feeling between a sports bike and the fz6. Supersports are made for racing. It is not like a suv that looks like being able to go off-road, but it can't. Supersports look sporty and they are. Put some racing tires on it and adjust the suspension and it is track ready. :)

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
That's what you get for trying to impress someone or fit in :BLAA:

Supersports have their purpose and street riding and commuting is not it. Sport touring bikes are infinitely more comfortable and can still kick ass in the twisties! :D

I can't ride SS bike for more than 20 minutes on the street without becoming uncomfortable. :don'tknow:

sixsix

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for posting, I'm interested to hear it. I'm always entertaining the idea of a no compromises supersport but I have a feeling I take the comfort and useability of the FZ6 for granted...

Is the GSXR750 THAT much more fun in the twisties? I thought I remember hearing that the GSXR was one of the more comfortable supersports...

I guess I'm over exaggerating it a little bit.... I could ride the fz6 all day and not get tired, on the gsxr I'm good for about an hour and a half before I start to feel it. I don't use my wrists to support myself and the tech spec tank pads help out a good bit. I tired adjusting the suspension some and it's still really stiff. It also doesn't help that I'm 6"6' tall either. A guy on the forum put some apex height adjustable clip ons on his bike but the brake and clutch lines are so short he only got like a half inch rise out of them. I guess I could get some longer lines and try that out. I bet a good inch or so of rise would help out a lot.

Here's the thing with the maneuverability... The gsxr transitions from side to side way easier and way quicker than the fz6. I mean you really don't have to put a lot of pressure on the bars to be leaned all the way over. That's good when your at speed, but when your going kinda slow it hinders you a little bit cause you think the bike is gonna tip over.

I don't want people to think that I got this bike to be cool or to fit in. I've always loved the 750's and thought that they were the best compromise between a 600 and a 1000. None of my friends ride. 99.9% of the time I'm riding alone. Both of my brothers have cbr1000's and we get together and ride every now and then.

Enough talk, it's a beautiful day and I'm off so I'm going for a ride.

oldfast007

Thread Killer
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Easy, I'll trade ya straight up and pay shipping both ways:BLAA:

Hopefully you'll come to adapt fully or trade it for something that's more in tune with your riding style, good luck!